John@Outfront Mtrsprts

anyone have knowledge of moving a 100 year old Oak tree 35 feet

3 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

yep. we are simply going to dig a 15foot wide trench to the new location. then hopefully drag it there.  so it will be facing the same direction.  looking at the cost of renting a 70,000lb excavator for that job vs using a crane at $350 an hour

I can tell you right now that the crane you need for a 50,000lb tree that is 25' in diameter is going to be significantly north of $350 bucks per hour. I'm going to venture to say you'll have 2K in portal to portal travel time alone.

21 hours ago, DeviantDuner said:

Save yourself thousands, plant new one, chop down old. 

my big oaks are "tagged " with a serial number.  i hear its jail time if i cut the tree down without permission.  you cannot cut a branch that is bigger than 6" diameter.  so asking forgiveness is better.    its a really nice tree, i would like to save it.  the guy says it well north of 100years old

so the tree mover came over and set me straight.  the tree is so big it needs at 12x12 box. made from 2x12x12's. double thick, 4 feet deep. so boards need just for sides is 32.  but i need to buy about 60 of them because later they need to box the top and bottom and make a skid out of them too.  so $1200 in wood alone.  he estimates 2 days to box sides, his crew is $1200 a day. and then 2 days to box bottom and top and slide into position. thats using my help and my excavator.  there is cost of banding material too so at this point the bro deal is $6k plus the excavator i will rent for the day

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

19 hours ago, Ocotillo Boy said:

I can tell you right now that the crane you need for a 50,000lb tree that is 25' in diameter is going to be significantly north of $350 bucks per hour. I'm going to venture to say you'll have 2K in portal to portal travel time alone.

he did say if i used a crane it would need to ba a 200ton unit.  im sure that he cant mean that, maybe 100tons or 200,000lb. and yes that would be expensive

That's a lot less than I expected.  Do you need to notify them that your moving it since it is tagged? 

39 minutes ago, Southbayrhino22 said:

That's a lot less than I expected.  Do you need to notify them that your moving it since it is tagged? 

not going to ask.  as you saw i cut a huge dead one down yesterday so im going to slide it over about where the dead one was.  i cant image they record the exact location, so 35feet to its new location will be unperceptible 

yep. that's the video that inspired me!!!  i have a guestamated 300 year oak in my backyard. trunk is 5feet in diameter, greenest tree in the area. i have water at 40 under ground (cause i put a well near by)  we can only imagine the tree has a tap root sucking up 100 gallons of water a day 80 foot canopy. my trunk is every bit of the tree trunk in that video

20190901_171912.jpg

May be a stupid question but how hard is it to relocate the tag? And what exactly does the tag register?

2 hours ago, Grease Monkey said:

May be a stupid question but how hard is it to relocate the tag? And what exactly does the tag register?

its a 1x3" aluminum tag with one nail holding it.  they have been on all my oaks since i purchased 8 years ago.  not sure how they track them.  problem is if they don't see the tag i suppose.  I have no other trees to put in on either (cause they are all tagged)

5 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

he did say if i used a crane it would need to ba a 200ton unit.  im sure that he cant mean that, maybe 100tons or 200,000lb. and yes that would be expensive

That 50,000 lb. tree would need pretty much every bit of that 200 ton crane. I've limited out 350 ton cranes with 65,000 lb. loads.

The crane will need to reach out to do the job.

Edited by ahipara 55

2 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

That 50,000 lb. tree would need pretty much every bit of that 200 ton crane. I've limited out 350 ton cranes with 65,000 lb. loads.

The crane will need to reach out to do the job.

200tons is 400,000lbs+!  i had no idea they made them that big.  how do they rate them then?  i would think a 200ton machine should lift that amount?  maybe rated with shortest boom length and no side angle?

5 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

my big oaks are "tagged " with a serial number.  i hear its jail time if i cut the tree down without permission.  you cannot cut a branch that is bigger than 6" diameter.  so asking forgiveness is better.    its a really nice tree, i would like to save it.  the guy says it well north of 100years old

so the tree mover came over and set me straight.  the tree is so big it needs at 12x12 box. made from 2x12x12's. double thick, 4 feet deep. so boards need just for sides is 32.  but i need to buy about 60 of them because later they need to box the top and bottom and make a skid out of them too.  so $1200 in wood alone.  he estimates 2 days to box sides, his crew is $1200 a day. and then 2 days to box bottom and top and slide into position. thats using my help and my excavator.  there is cost of banding material too so at this point the bro deal is $6k plus the excavator i will rent for the day

City of San Marino is pretty passionate about oaks. We had one right in the middle of backyard pool we were building. 

It got chopped down and then city did a “presite “ 

they have aerial pics and wanted to know what happened to the 100 plus year old tree, lol

uhhhhh idk customer asked for pool and this is how yard looked when we came. In the end all we had to do was plant 60in box tree on property to replace what was removed 

personally I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you do realize you’ll be spending well over 6k and still crossing your fingers it survives. 

I guess Iv dropped way more then that w you chasing power and hoping my trans survives 🤣

9 hours ago, DeviantDuner said:

City of San Marino is pretty passionate about oaks. We had one right in the middle of backyard pool we were building. 

It got chopped down and then city did a “presite “ 

they have aerial pics and wanted to know what happened to the 100 plus year old tree, lol

uhhhhh idk customer asked for pool and this is how yard looked when we came. In the end all we had to do was plant 60in box tree on property to replace what was removed 

personally I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you do realize you’ll be spending well over 6k and still crossing your fingers it survives. 

I guess Iv dropped way more then that w you chasing power and hoping my trans survives 🤣

i was planning on some of the money coming from your stroker motor build.  its a gorgeous tree and when we saw it he said it could sell for $50,000. that gave me more motivation to try to save it.   at least my arial photos would still show the tree but they will think the property lines moved. haha

12 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

200tons is 400,000lbs+!  i had no idea they made them that big.  how do they rate them then?  i would think a 200ton machine should lift that amount?  maybe rated with shortest boom length and no side angle?

You're a smart guy. You'll figure it out.

Edited by ahipara 55

Looks like a Coast Live oak, 300 years is very unlikely.  that IS a good looking tree!

The aluminum tags are standard practice for tree surveys.  Could have been for any reason by any company, agency or even private land owner.  I've got hundreds of trees tagged at a park I work at.  No rhyme or reason.  Multiple surveys over the years by different groups.  If there are any records, I haven't seen them.

Edited by Bansh88

3 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

i was planning on some of the money coming from your stroker motor build.  its a gorgeous tree and when we saw it he said it could sell for $50,000. that gave me more motivation to try to save it.   at least my arial photos would still show the tree but they will think the property lines moved. haha

If your spending all that money on boxing it to move and your guy says he can fetch 50k for it why not sell it?  Plus when will those people be back out to survey tags? If they are keeping track of the trees maybe their okay with the tree being transplanted offsite. 

2 hours ago, FAMILY OF 4 said:

If your spending all that money on boxing it to move and your guy says he can fetch 50k for it why not sell it?  Plus when will those people be back out to survey tags? If they are keeping track of the trees maybe their okay with the tree being transplanted offsite. 

because when i started the permit process they pulled up a current view of my property. crude but it shows green there.  they will be expecting to still see green.  if i removed it there would be nothing on that side of the shop for 100 feet.  its worth keeping

I'm confused.  The tree is on your property, correct?   But you have to get special permission to cut this shit down(if you wanted)?

14 minutes ago, CHIZZLE said:

I'm confused.  The tree is on your property, correct?   But you have to get special permission to cut this shit down(if you wanted)?

He is in California. 😉

36 minutes ago, whoopsadaisy said:

He is in California. 😉

they are protected. i have about 10 trees with tags.  correct. cant cut them down or build real close to them.  

23 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

they are protected. i have about 10 trees with tags.  correct. cant cut them down or build real close to them.  

The Saguaro Cactus is protected here in AZ but if someone has one on their private property, they just need to give notice to the Dept of Agriculture letting them know they're taking it down/destroying it.

12 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

That engine isn't built yet...….better hurry  @DeviantDuner season's almost here.

As for the tree, we had to relocate one on the last job I did in Walnut. It had to stay in the box for months.  As far as I know it lived. I could get some info on who we used if you haven't signed a contract with the other guy yet.

1 hour ago, spize909 said:

That engine isn't built yet...….better hurry  @DeviantDuner season's almost here.

As for the tree, we had to relocate one on the last job I did in Walnut. It had to stay in the box for months.  As far as I know it lived. I could get some info on who we used if you haven't signed a contract with the other guy yet.

It’s been at SU for months. All new suspension, bigger arms, king kong spindles, bigger bearings, bypasses, etc basically same set up as sand pro 2 suspension wise in a lighter car 😁 

plus bigger radiator w bigger fans, and big ass intercooler with shroud w dual fans oversized  to support the stroker 

Re did seats front and back 

should be ready next week, then back to painter again.

Prob run out of time for stroker, unless I have John build and set aside to swap between trips this season. Him moving this tree may motivate him to build though 

Try Senna tree company.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:35 PM, DeviantDuner said:

It’s been at SU for months. All new suspension, bigger arms, king kong spindles, bigger bearings, bypasses, etc basically same set up as sand pro 2 suspension wise in what was a light car 😁 

plus bigger radiator w bigger fans, and big ass intercooler with shroud w dual fans oversized  to support the stroker 

Re did seats front and back 

should be ready next week, then back to painter again.

Prob run out of time for stroker, unless I have John build and set aside to swap between trips this season. Him moving this tree may motivate him to build though 

FIFY :bigrin