Buggydave

Jailbraking a cell phone?

Anyone know a good place in Phoenix East valley? Long story short, I picked up a phone last weekend off Offerup from a girl moving who only had it a couple months then decided she wanted an I-phone and just wanted some gas money since she is moving to Cali to be with her mom. She paid cash up front for the phone (she showed me the receipt) and she contacted the carrier (MetroPCS) as to how to sell. They told her to just have the buyer (me) take her info and the phone to a store and they would unlock it. Well, I went this afternoon and was told that the phone had to be used for 6 months with them before they would unlock it even though the phone was bought up front and that I needed to use it with them for another 3-1/2 months to unlock it. I looked on the internet and found a lot of sites that charge anywhere from $10-$50 to get a code I guess, but NO guarantees and one site says a lot of these sites are scams anyways. Am I screwed? I only paid 40 for the phone (was like 120 new) and am in no real hurry as I was only going to use it for a replacement for my home phone when I cancel Cox phone. Any ideas????

My advice is focus on those sites that charge $10-$50 to unlock, and dig a little deeper to research them on Google and see if anyone has mentioned them in forums or reviews.  There's got to be a legit service in that bunch.

9 hours ago, Buggydave said:

Anyone know a good place in Phoenix East valley? Long story short, I picked up a phone last weekend off Offerup from a girl moving who only had it a couple months then decided she wanted an I-phone and just wanted some gas money since she is moving to Cali to be with her mom. She paid cash up front for the phone (she showed me the receipt) and she contacted the carrier (MetroPCS) as to how to sell. They told her to just have the buyer (me) take her info and the phone to a store and they would unlock it. Well, I went this afternoon and was told that the phone had to be used for 6 months with them before they would unlock it even though the phone was bought up front and that I needed to use it with them for another 3-1/2 months to unlock it. I looked on the internet and found a lot of sites that charge anywhere from $10-$50 to get a code I guess, but NO guarantees and one site says a lot of these sites are scams anyways. Am I screwed? I only paid 40 for the phone (was like 120 new) and am in no real hurry as I was only going to use it for a replacement for my home phone when I cancel Cox phone. Any ideas????

Whats a home phone?  Is it something you plug  a dial up modem and a fax machine into?

13 hours ago, Buggydave said:

Replace your Cox phone with a Ooma phone https://www.ooma.com/  After you buy it you only pay the monthly tax and all calls in the US are free. I have had it for a few years and it works great. DON~~~

I Have a home phone due to the fact my 72 yo mother lives with me and that number has been a family number for over 20 years and she has dementia and knows the number as does all my family (aunts, uncles, distant relatives), also is nice that all doctors, pharmacies, etc can leave a message on that phone instead of my cell phone, etc. Also, my mom does have a cell phone, but it is a 13 year old flip phone that will not be supported in a few months, so this phone was going to replace both of those.

1 hour ago, Buggydave said:

I Have a home phone due to the fact my 72 yo mother lives with me and that number has been a family number for over 20 years and she has dementia and knows the number as does all my family (aunts, uncles, distant relatives), also is nice that all doctors, pharmacies, etc can leave a message on that phone instead of my cell phone, etc. Also, my mom does have a cell phone, but it is a 13 year old flip phone that will not be supported in a few months, so this phone was going to replace both of those.

If you switch to Ooma everything is the same without the bill from Cox. DON~~~

1 hour ago, donparscale said:

If you switch to Ooma everything is the same without the bill from Cox. DON~~~

Ooma works great I have had it for years. Only pay about $4 a month for taxes.

Ok, ooma sounds great for a home line, but I still need to get this phone unlocked for a cell phone that my mom can take with her when she needs.

7 hours ago, Buggydave said:

check into Magic Jack.  they will port the number. only if you have internet.   othewise just get any pre paid phone from amazon most are unlocked and super cheap.