Mac

Found my biological father and family

Interesting weekend.

My wife and I were talking while walking the dogs Friday morning and she piqued my interest to find my biological father.  I had found and met my biological mother 21 years ago and also found my half sister when I did.  I had started this search by contacting the agency I was adopted through and asked for information.  Since it was a closed adoption, the records were sealed.  So they were able to send me "non-identifying" information.  When I received the packet, the "identifying" information simply had whiteout over it.  I scraped it off and had the names and info.  I have had his information this whole time, just never felt compelled to find him.  I have maintained a relationship with my sister since, but not my mother due to lifestyle issues.  

So after our walk, I came home, typed in his name and off with my search.  Having his name, birth date and where he was born, it was pretty easy.  I found him right away and just "knew" it was him.  Sadly, what I found was his obituary.  He passed in 2013.  The good news is, obituaries are usually public information and has lots of family information in them.  I found out I had a sister who died from a terminal illness and potentially two brothers.  I sent the picture of my man I found as my father to my biological mother  to see if it was him.  She confirmed it was.

I then Googled the brothers names and found them pretty quick too.  I found 2 phone numbers right away and called them.  He answered on the second number.  I began the call with "This might be the weirdest phone call you have ever received..."  We talked for a minute, he asked to call me back later.  He called back after taking time to digest the information and we began an exchange of information to cross verify things.  After a short time, it was clear to me I had found my biological father and now half brother.  We talked for a bit, just answering each other's questions and such.  I sent him some pictures, he sent me some.  We share a slight resemblance  but not like that of my sister and I (we share our biological mother and the resemblance is very clear) .  The other potential brother is just a step brother and of no blood relation to me.  

So...I have a 30 year old brother I "met" this weekend for the first time.  He is absolutely blown away.  I look forward to learning more about the other side of my genealogy in the days to come.

That's cool. With all the dna and genetic information on the inter web it is uniting alot of people. 

That’s pretty awesome! 

I need to start down this very path. I have mixed feelings about it. But so far it has been out of sight out of mind. 

Very cool Steve family is important

That's cool you followed through, nice to get some closure to questions I am sure you had.

55 minutes ago, jtmoney714 said:

I need to start down this very path. I have mixed feelings about it. But so far it has been out of sight out of mind. 

If you have any questions or want any pointers, I've done this twice to find both parents.  You don't need to pay anyone,  There is so much information out there you can find on your own.

8 minutes ago, Mac said:

If you have any questions or want any pointers, I've done this twice to find both parents.  You don't need to pay anyone,  There is so much information out there you can find on your own.

Actually yes please. You can dm me. I’m not even sure where to start. I have zero info. 

Right on Mac. 👍

Very cool. I often wonder if my son will seek out his biological parents in the future when he is older.

6 minutes ago, punkur67 said:

Very cool. I often wonder if my son will seek out his biological parents in the future when he is older.

Let me know if you have any questions.

ib4 Crusty comes in here offering his advice or giving his two cents.  You know you're my day one Mac!~ :cheers:

Good for you Mac. 

Great story! Hope you find out more and more about your family. 

Hopefully jtmoney714 finds his family and has a great outcome.

Praying for both of you and any of you that are on the fence in looking for family.

Thanks for sharing this personal information with us.  It's hard for many of us to comprehend what these feelings are like, but obviously it's a very personal life changing experience.  Good luck in getting to know your new relatives.

10 hours ago, Mac said:

Interesting weekend.

My wife and I were talking while walking the dogs Friday morning and she piqued my interest to find my biological father.  I had found and met my biological mother 21 years ago and also found my half sister when I did.  I had started this search by contacting the agency I was adopted through and asked for information.  Since it was a closed adoption, the records were sealed.  So they were able to send me "non-identifying" information.  When I received the packet, the "identifying" information simply had whiteout over it.  I scraped it off and had the names and info.  I have had his information this whole time, just never felt compelled to find him.  I have maintained a relationship with my sister since, but not my mother due to lifestyle issues.  

So after our walk, I came home, typed in his name and off with my search.  Having his name, birth date and where he was born, it was pretty easy.  I found him right away and just "knew" it was him.  Sadly, what I found was his obituary.  He passed in 2013.  The good news is, obituaries are usually public information and has lots of family information in them.  I found out I had a sister who died from a terminal illness and potentially two brothers.  I sent the picture of my man I found as my father to my biological mother  to see if it was him.  She confirmed it was.

I then Googled the brothers names and found them pretty quick too.  I found 2 phone numbers right away and called them.  He answered on the second number.  I began the call with "This might be the weirdest phone call you have ever received..."  We talked for a minute, he asked to call me back later.  He called back after taking time to digest the information and we began an exchange of information to cross verify things.  After a short time, it was clear to me I had found my biological father and now half brother.  We talked for a bit, just answering each other's questions and such.  I sent him some pictures, he sent me some.  We share a slight resemblance  but not like that of my sister and I (we share our biological mother and the resemblance is very clear) .  The other potential brother is just a step brother and of no blood relation to me.  

So...I have a 30 year old brother I "met" this weekend for the first time.  He is absolutely blown away.  I look forward to learning more about the other side of my genealogy in the days to come.

Wow! I know someone going through this right now. Similar, but just as interesting and just getting started. Total shock to say the least! Well wishes in your new journey and for the other posters as well.

Happy for you Mac, glad your getting some closure and expanding your family tree.

A good woman knows how to get you motivated on things you might not have done on your own. Good support is priceless. 

That's awesome Mac! Peace

So cool you found your family. My wife's youngest brother was adopted when he was a day old. My mother in law wanted another child and my father in law said ok...basically he would do anything to shut her up! His mother was a young girl from their church and she was happy to give him up. A while back he decided to try and find his bio family. He found his dad and a couple siblings but not his mom. He's 30 years younger than me and a good man with a great family. He says he's not really in touch with the bio family. In his words...he dodged a bullet and he has us! 

That’s a pretty huge step Steve. That takes some huevos. Thats pretty cool man. I hope it progresses to something cool. 

Both of my parents are adopted, I would like to find things about them, but my Parents have no interest.  My Dad's real family has the most interest to me, but I don't think the adoption was on the up and up for some reason.  It was  in 1944 in Phoenix, sounds like it was a war adoption of some sort.  Both of my grandparents that would know are no longer alive.  All I have is a DOB and birthplace of Phoenix...………….

2 hours ago, bigsammy said:

So cool you found your family. My wife's youngest brother was adopted when he was a day old. My mother in law wanted another child and my father in law said ok...basically he would do anything to shut her up! His mother was a young girl from their church and she was happy to give him up. A while back he decided to try and find his bio family. He found his dad and a couple siblings but not his mom. He's 30 years younger than me and a good man with a great family. He says he's not really in touch with the bio family. In his words...he dodged a bullet and he has us! 

When I found my bio mom, it was just curiosity.  My parents were supportive.  Meeting her was good, but the same.  My half sister tells me all the time I had the better life.  I knew it though.

2 hours ago, B0NES said:

That’s a pretty huge step Steve. That takes some huevos. Thats pretty cool man. I hope it progresses to something cool. 

Thanks.  It's been a good thing in meeting and having my sister in my life.  We are fairly close.  It would be cool to have the same thing with my half brother.

43 minutes ago, Cookie said:

Both of my parents are adopted, I would like to find things about them, but my Parents have no interest.  My Dad's real family has the most interest to me, but I don't think the adoption was on the up and up for some reason.  It was  in 1944 in Phoenix, sounds like it was a war adoption of some sort.  Both of my grandparents that would know are no longer alive.  All I have is a DOB and birthplace of Phoenix...………….

In this case your best bet would be to do an Ancestry DNA kit AND a 23 and Me kit to expand your search.  Being back that far would be really hard to get information.

Very cool Mac!