cali kid

4wd dual sport/ sand cars?

8 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

Actually 4wd is much better in the dunes and less stress.   2wd is fun, but you get a lot more tire spin in a UTV, which usually results in belts going boom sooner, rather than later.   Not to mention they just handle a lot better.     No need to service CVs on a UTV, like a sandcar.  

Polaris engineers told this to my neighbor in Idaho....4wd puts far less stress on the drivetrain. Sounds wrong, but running all the drivetrain makes stuff last longer.

1 hour ago, Sand Shark said:

What the Herbst did many years ago is no where near what the current stable of Awd trucks run.  I don't think the Herbst set up was running portals, not did they have  the luxury of the current  Awd systems.    

The Awd trucks have been finishing races and winning - Matney won a BITD championship in an AWD truck.   Bryce has done quite well in the Baja races.  I expect Andy to have a strong finish at the 400 next weekend. 

If you don't think it is the future then you are missing the writing all over the walls.  There is a reason a lot of the  top trophy truck drivers are making the switch and why Mason motorsports has a long wait list for them to build them.  Robby Gordon believes in it so much he already has applied for patents. 

Im not arguing against the idea that 4wd is a better theoretical platform for speed in straight line and in and out of corners. But i am arguing the current methods of employing 4wd have devastating limitations to wheel travel steering and driveline angles. The current way of building an awd system will not beat a 2wd consistantly in a classic desert race. 

Edited by sausage450r

10 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

Actually 4wd is much better in the dunes and less stress.   2wd is fun, but you get a lot more tire spin in a UTV, which usually results in belts going boom sooner, rather than later.   Not to mention they just handle a lot better.     No need to service CVs on a UTV, like a sandcar.  

No service CVs! Yay! Lol, you have a lot to learn son. Just repaired my long travel rhino after it locked a cv and sheared a front axle. Love your optimism though! They all wear out. You come off smug when you state your opinion as fact. Its just an opinion (yours) and there like a$$holes, everyone has one. 

Edited by Jetjock15

Nye Frank built a AWD class 1 buggy back in the late 90’s for Nick Baldwin. Nye was an innovator, so much so that the short course series ban Rob Mac’s Nye Frank  Pro 4 , as it dominated the series. Nye’s suspension & shocks are still illegal to this day in short course racing. 

The original shocks on the AWD buggy were also Nye’s creation. You could adjust ride hight and compression on the fly. The shocks in the picture are not the original shocks. They switched back to a more traditional shock. 

Not AWD but Nye also built the TT called Mighty Mouse. Aero dynamics was a big part of this truck. Again it had Nye’s shocks on it. 

8067FC6C-A337-4C9F-AE84-63C0D7956DF7.jpeg

36E3CF0D-F2E5-481F-B7EB-43F558886155.jpeg

14 minutes ago, NIKAL said:

Nye Frank built a AWD class 1 buggy back in the late 90’s for Nick Baldwin. Nye was an innovator, so much so that the short course series ban Rob Mac’s Nye Frank  Pro 4 , as it dominated the series. Nye’s suspension & shocks are still illegal to this day in short course racing. 

The original shocks on the AWD buggy were also Nye’s creation. You could adjust ride hight and compression on the fly. The shocks in the picture are not the original shocks. They switched back to a more traditional shock. 

Not AWD but Nye also built the TT called Mighty Mouse. Aero dynamics was a big part of this truck. Again it had Nye’s shocks on it. 

Are you talking about the water cooled shocks? A guy i know owned it for a while after baldwin

Edited by sausage450r

23 hours ago, sausage450r said:

Are you talking about the water cooled shocks? A guy i know owned it for a while after baldwin

Yes water cooled hydraulic/air shocks. I also think they were the first shock with duel resivors? 

On 9/13/2019 at 10:14 PM, NIKAL said:

I was just searching for pics of nye franks stuff to post, you beat me to it. Very innovative stuff. 

2 hours ago, mjmtrsprt said:

I was just searching for pics of nye franks stuff to post, you beat me to it. Very innovative stuff. 

Ya but its not name brand like tatum or desert dynamics ;) 

Fortin is big in the AWD class stuff.  They are designing some high speed stuff over there.  I think mainly short course but I could see them breaking into the Trophy truck class.

~jw

Edited by jwest2sh