Jump to content
donparscale

COAL FIRED POWER PLANTS....Powerful FACTS.....

Recommended Posts

 

How many coal plants are there in the world today?

Green New Deal???


The EU has 468 - building 27 more... Total  495   
 
Turkey has 56 - building 93 more... Total  149   
 
South Africa has 79 - building 24 more... Total  103   
 
India has 589 - building 446 more... Total  1035   
 
Philippines has 19 - building 60 more... Total  79   
 
South Korea has 58 - building 26 more... Total 84   
 
Japan has 90 - building 45 more... Total 135   
China has 2,363 - building 1,171 more... Total 3,534   
 
That’s 5,615   projected coal powered plants in just

8 countries.   
    
USA has 15 - building 0 more...Total 15   
    
And Democrat politicians with their "green new deal” want to shut down those 15 plants in order to "save” the planet.


Because you could not get many Republicans off the sofa last November, the Socialist party now runs the U.S. House Of Representatives.


“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”


This is EXCELLENT!!  I knew the rough idea about the number of coal plants, but had not yet seen actual numbers until now.


This makes the point.  Whatever the USA does or doesn’t do won’t make a Tinker’s Dam regarding CO2 unless the rest of the world, especially China and India reduces coal-fired power plants as well.  

    
The whole “global warming” and “climate change” gambits by Democrats are to create a *supposedly* sound, scientific basis to justify a federal government power-grab and the passage of MORE laws to increase taxes and increased control of the privately owned power industry and its distribution.  Never forget the *main* motivation they have!   
    
“Oh, we will SAVE the planet!!”   100% Pure Bull@#$!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 And the Democrats give me crap about my charcoal barbecue!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least we have a market for our coal.......................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what people don't understand is without coal power plants, you will not have flyash,  many item use flyash, concrete, wall board, toothpast,  so now we will have to train it in from another country,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Powerful "facts"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that we’ve invested in solar panels we dont need coal to charge all our electric cars at night. Especially when i flex my power and sit in the heat and darkness between the hrs of 4pm-9pm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree with the overall sentiment of the post, I think the numbers are BS.  I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than 15 coal-burning power plants in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, kazuaki said:

While I agree with the overall sentiment of the post, I think the numbers are BS.  I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than 15 coal-burning power plants in the US.

We have 5 just in Az

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, kazuaki said:

While I agree with the overall sentiment of the post, I think the numbers are BS.  I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than 15 coal-burning power plants in the US.

Quite a bit more...

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/annual/html/epa_04_01.html

Those are total plants, both utility and site power.  

Accounts for 27% of our electricity (2nd most by source):

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the verifiable source of this data?  Why haven"t seen this on  FOX news? I have been  embarrassed by quoting BS before.  Fooled once- twice shy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Quite a bit more...

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/annual/html/epa_04_01.html

Those are total plants, both utility and site power.  

Accounts for 27% of our electricity (2nd most by source):

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

That is interesting, Solar = 1.6% what a scam / joke. A whole industry created and that is their contribution...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, raspadoo said:

That is interesting, Solar = 1.6% what a scam / joke. A whole industry created and that is their contribution...

Yeah, but that being said I think it’s a really good solution for dispersed residential. Lots of transmission savings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ultimate, eventual solution is to have solar panels on every residence, with a battery storage system to charge up from solar during the day and power the house at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, socaldmax said:

The ultimate, eventual solution is to have solar panels on every residence, with a battery storage system to charge up from solar during the day and power the house at night.

The math does not work with this except where there is a Lot of sun like CA/AZ/FLA etc. 

new technologies will help - but solar is at best 25% conversion efficient, and non lead/acid batteries cannot be recycled / reused and Lithium is a rare earth element

 

The whole "climate alarmist" scare is ridiculous...  while "we" meaning mankind has to science our way out of our unsustainable and wasteful existence, the developing countries (read that as 3rd world S holes) are just trying to support their growing populations and and find a way out of huge infant death rates and high death rates from starvation, disease, and general poverty. 

I am 110% convinced the entire new green  deal is a power play for control of the masses - a rework of the USA to socialism and government control - I am only convinced of that because I read the whole "6 pages" of it....  written by a bunch of non science fact "activists" that just old enough to leave their parents basements...

I have written longer deployment plans for a trade show event than that "new green deal"  Its a complete scam.

I may not agree that coal is clean - but tell that to someone in Buffalo NY in December, and say "hey just turn on those batteries from your solar covered by 6ft of snow on the roof"

 

Edited by fullthrottleguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, fullthrottleguy said:

The math does not work with this except where there is a Lot of sun like CA/AZ/FLA etc. 

new technologies will help - but solar is at best 25% conversion efficient, and non lead/acid batteries cannot be recycled / reused and Lithium is a rare earth element

 

The whole "climate alarmist" scare is ridiculous...  while "we" meaning mankind has to science our way out of our unsustainable and wasteful existence, the developing countries (read that as 3rd world S holes) are just trying to support their growing populations and and find a way out of huge infant death rates and high death rates from starvation, disease, and general poverty. 

I am 110% convinced the entire new green  deal is a power play for control of the masses - a rework of the USA to socialism and government control - I am only convinced of that because I read the whole "6 pages" of it....  written by a bunch of non science fact "activists" that just old enough to leave their parents basements...

I have written longer deployment plans for a trade show event than that "new green deal"  Its a complete scam.

I may not agree that coal is clean - but tell that to someone in Buffalo NY in December, and say "hey just turn on those batteries from your solar covered by 6ft of snow on the roof"

 

You're right, solar isn't feasible when covered in snow, but that's not a yr long thing. There are plenty of people using solar panels in northern states, it just takes more panels at a steeper angle. I've been studying large, cheap battery banks for a while now, and this is Tesla's plan for the future, in addition to multi-gigawatt battery banks for utilities. My focus has been on being "connected" to the grid, without using any power from the grid. I'll admit it might not be economically feasible for those living in other areas with lower electricity costs.

Coal fired plants are pretty clean in the US due to scrubbers, I don't think they're nearly as clean in other places like China or Africa.

My vote for cleanest large scale power source would be LFTR nuclear reactors, not only much safer than current water cooled reactors, they cannot ever overheat by design. If anything happens, they simply shut down. The other benefit is that they can "burn" nuke waste from conventional reactors and eventually get rid of all of our nuke waste, which is currently a big problem and will be a much bigger problem when the metal containers start leaking at the head of the Columbia River and other locations.

I agree, the whole climate alarmist thing is a scam. There are other sources of more powerful greenhouse gasses than man made CO2. 

There's also a researcher who has figured out how to release all of the energy stored in cellulose, basically a reverse process of photosynthesis. He claims to be able to produce ethanol, gas and diesel fuel directly from shredded leaves, wood, foliage, etc. in massive quantities.

I think our search for clean, renewable power will be multi pronged and based on location. Coastal cities can use wave action, LFTR reactors can be built where needed, including very close to cities, solar can supplement the grid in homes, hydro power where feasible, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lou skywalker said:

What is the verifiable source of this data?  Why haven"t seen this on  FOX news? I have been  embarrassed by quoting BS before.  Fooled once- twice shy. 

Here is a link to the sources of electrical power produced in the US for 2018. This includes U.S. electricity generation by source, amount, and share of total in 2018

 

Electrical generation sources for 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fullthrottleguy said:

The math does not work with this except where there is a Lot of sun like CA/AZ/FLA etc. 

new technologies will help - but solar is at best 25% conversion efficient, and non lead/acid batteries cannot be recycled / reused and Lithium is a rare earth element

 

The whole "climate alarmist" scare is ridiculous...  while "we" meaning mankind has to science our way out of our unsustainable and wasteful existence, the developing countries (read that as 3rd world S holes) are just trying to support their growing populations and and find a way out of huge infant death rates and high death rates from starvation, disease, and general poverty. 

I am 110% convinced the entire new green  deal is a power play for control of the masses - a rework of the USA to socialism and government control - I am only convinced of that because I read the whole "6 pages" of it....  written by a bunch of non science fact "activists" that just old enough to leave their parents basements...

I have written longer deployment plans for a trade show event than that "new green deal"  Its a complete scam.

I may not agree that coal is clean - but tell that to someone in Buffalo NY in December, and say "hey just turn on those batteries from your solar covered by 6ft of snow on the roof"

 

I agree with all of your thoughts!

I HATE nuclear energy.  It's just too dangerous.  Now with the knowledge that all other countries are going full bore with coal, why can't the USA get some common sense and start building coal plants and safely closing nuclear plants?

Where does Trump stand on coal?  Where do the Republicans stand?  It's topics like this where I'm totally ashamed of myself for ever having a Democratic viewpoint because this whole environmental facade is destroying us economically and putting us in danger with so many nuclear plants.

Edited by Phoenix7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

I agree with all of your thoughts!

No one has mentioned nuclear energy.  I HATE nuclear energy.  It's just too dangerous.  Now with the knowledge that all other countries are going full bore with coal, why can't the USA get some common sense and start building coal plants and safely closing nuclear plants?

Where does Trump stand on coal?  Where do the Republicans stand?  It's topics like this where I'm totally ashamed of myself for ever having a Democratic viewpoint because this whole environmental facade is destroying us economically and putting us in danger with so many nuclear plants.

Research the new nuke power they have developed in Europe...small, safe, can't melt down...we have yucca mountain for anything we need to bury now...

 

Nuke power is the only Real solution to our power needs....Solar and wind are a joke when you take away the govt backing.  It's really too bad that the system has scared everyone away from nuke power.....and BTW...climate change is a power grab...pure and simple...nothing more.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, realbadlarry said:

Research the new nuke power they have developed in Europe...small, safe, can't melt down...we have yucca mountain for anything we need to bury now...

 

Nuke power is the only Real solution to our power needs....Solar and wind are a joke when you take away the govt backing.  It's really too bad that the system has scared everyone away from nuke power.....and BTW...climate change is a power grab...pure and simple...nothing more.

 

 

 

Bingo - I'm far from an expert but from everything I read, Nuclear power is the best current solution.  And it is safe.  There is a general stigma and irrational fear of nuclear power by the public but it's not fact based.  How much of that fear is based on movies showing mutant creatures created in a shut down power plant in Russia - fairy tails. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BW Willy said:

Bingo - I'm far from an expert but from everything I read, Nuclear power is the best current solution.  And it is safe.  There is a general stigma and irrational fear of nuclear power by the public but it's not fact based.  How much of that fear is based on movies showing mutant creatures created in a shut down power plant in Russia - fairy tails. 

Sadly, as long as minimum wage humans are involved with nuclear power, it will fail.

Chernobyl, socialism fail. (Protect the image of Communism).

Fukushima, upside down design fail. (Back up gen sets in basement under water)

San Onofre, purchasing failure. (You will never hear who ordered superheater tubes that were the wrong material)

Can nuclear power work? Probably.

But stop with the human failures first.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LIbs say that it is a undisputable scientific fact that CO2 from fossil fuel use is creating global warming which is going to cause human extinction if not halted immediately. They also call  anyone in this country who dispute these "facts"  an inbred, science denying moron.

Meanwhile, it is an absolutely undeniable fact that China and India continue to build more and more fossil fuel power plants so that they can bring electricity to their citizens. Therefor, the libs must think the people who run China and India are inbred, science denying morons. Hmmmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's great that @donparscale alerted us about coal.  Now I hope that someone can get this talked about in news media and government.  

I did something tonight that I NEVER do.  I wrote to my U.S. Senator on her website about coal, and why we are not using it when the world is embracing it bigtime.   If more of us take action, maybe we can make a difference.  I know that many of you have issues you're more passionate about, but this one really hit me hard for some reason.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

It's great that @donparscale alerted us about coal.  Now I hope that someone can get this talked about in news media and government.  

I did something tonight that I NEVER do.  I wrote to my U.S. Senator on her website about coal, and why we are not using it when the world is embracing it bigtime.   If more of us take action, maybe we can make a difference.  I know that many of you have issues you're more passionate about, but this one really hit me hard for some reason.

 

Over a quarter of our electricity is generated with coal...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 9:24 PM, Phoenix7 said:

I agree with all of your thoughts!

I HATE nuclear energy.  It's just too dangerous.  Now with the knowledge that all other countries are going full bore with coal, why can't the USA get some common sense and start building coal plants and safely closing nuclear plants?

Do some research on LFTR reactors. Completely different design. GE and Westinghouse invested huge sums in light water reactors, so that's the design that we use, even in our combat vessels. They're prone to thermal runaway, loss of coolant, etc. It was a political decision fueled by greed, not safety or superior design.

LFTR reactors are very difficult to keep running. Their natural tendency is to shut down gracefully if not constantly fed. Between their inherent safety design and the fact that they could "burn up" all of the nuclear waste we've foolishly been burying for future generations to deal with, I'd say LFTR reactors are the logical choice for clean, safe, reliable, cheap (much, much cheaper than light water reactors, since they aren't pressurized, they don't need an expensive vessel or containment building) power that also fixes our waste problem as a side benefit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, socaldmax said:

Do some research on LFTR reactors. Completely different design. GE and Westinghouse invested huge sums in light water reactors, so that's the design that we use, even in our combat vessels. They're prone to thermal runaway, loss of coolant, etc. It was a political decision fueled by greed, not safety or superior design.

LFTR reactors are very difficult to keep running. Their natural tendency is to shut down gracefully if not constantly fed. Between their inherent safety design and the fact that they could "burn up" all of the nuclear waste we've foolishly been burying for future generations to deal with, I'd say LFTR reactors are the logical choice for clean, safe, reliable, cheap (much, much cheaper than light water reactors, since they aren't pressurized, they don't need an expensive vessel or containment building) power that also fixes our waste problem as a side benefit.

Thanks for explaining the differences in nuclear reactors.  I looked up Palo Verde, the one close to Phoenix, and I believe it has 3 water reactors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...