Jump to content
matto822

Sand Car Suspension Tuning

Recommended Posts

I have a new 2019 BFD 2 seater Mid Engine care with an LS1 that needs full suspension tuning. I am wondering who is the best in the desert for this because right now my can am x3 rides softer and smother than the buggy. The buggy is brand new and has not yet had any suspension work done. I am hoping to find someone that goes to the dunes and test and does setup there. Looking to test in Glamis. Please let me know. Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good luck I have been trying to find someone for 2 years and willing to pay upto 700 and I can't find anyone to do it.  everyone I call won't return calls.  if you have fox shocks they tune in the desert and so does King all for free give them a call.  you need dirt tires but it will get you really close when there for the sand.  if you need two people let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant help with tuning but would love to see some pics of the new bfd..good luck with the shock tuning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, matto822 said:

I have a new 2019 BFD 2 seater Mid Engine care with an LS1 that needs full suspension tuning. I am wondering who is the best in the desert for this because right now my can am x3 rides softer and smother than the buggy. The buggy is brand new and has not yet had any suspension work done. I am hoping to find someone that goes to the dunes and test and does setup there. Looking to test in Glamis. Please let me know. Thank you! 

Wayne at Altec out of Temecula.  He has a website.  A buddy and I split the cost, I think it was $1400 total for a day in Glamis.  His bread and butter is off-road desert and Ultaa 4 racers, so you have to schedule him months out as he gets very busy with the winter racing schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing that nobody has set up shop out there to offer this service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen this done several times with Fox and King out in Glamis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used  Ed 'The Suspension Guy' he camps in Glamis and did an awesome job on my Extreme DTDII. Just look him up online and and you'll see that hes pretty well known for suspension tuning.  I know he likes to enjoy himself while in the dunes and doesn't want to spend his whole time tuning cars so give him a call ahead of time and see if he's willing to help you out. Ed 714-343-3399

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Diesel707 said:

I used  Ed 'The Suspension Guy' he camps in Glamis and did an awesome job on my Extreme DTDII. Just look him up online and and you'll see that hes pretty well known for suspension tuning.  I know he likes to enjoy himself while in the dunes and doesn't want to spend his whole time tuning cars so give him a call ahead of time and see if he's willing to help you out. Ed 714-343-3399

Ed is a good guy, very personable and easy to talk with.  Lots of experience.  I’ve never used his services, but lots of people happy with his efforts and results.  Note, it is a side business for him and he’s not just going to “help you out”.  You’ll need to schedule an appointment and pay the man for his services and time.  I’m not sure if he takes the shocks apart in Glamis and tunes on the spot, or if he needs to take a ride and then take the shocks home.  You want someone that can break them open in their trailer and re-valve out in Glamis so you can drive the car back to back to feel the difference and make the small adjustments.  

Make sure your ride height is correct before you embark on this adventure.  Changing springs at home before hand will save time in the sand.  

Edited by evantwheeler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ed is the MASTER. If you go with him make sure you do the 'premium' deal where he not only tunes, but completely breaks down the shocks, changes the shims, etc. My car felt like it gained 8" of travel. I could mash the big stuff and on the little stuff all the 'chatter' was removed. I was astounded how much a tuned suspension changed the performance and overall comfort. You'll drive with more confidence too.

I was lucky that the Razor I bought was already tuned by Ed (his sticker was on it). It's really dialed in nice.

Best,

 

abc

Edited by ANGRYBUTTCRACK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve used Ed when I built my 2011 Desert Rat and used DC Shocks in San Dimas on my new car. Both are great but DC is close to me so more convenient to drop off and pick up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Learn to do it yourself, I do my own, always have. Honestly it's not that hard to do. Set up a work bench in your trailer, with a vise on one end. There is plenty of help online to figure out what to do with the valving. Also then you tune it to your drive style. What works for some does not work for all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, evantwheeler said:

Ed is a good guy, very personable and easy to talk with.  Lots of experience.  I’ve never used his services, but lots of people happy with his efforts and results.  Note, it is a side business for him and he’s not just going to “help you out”.  You’ll need to schedule an appointment and pay the man for his services and time.  I’m not sure if he takes the shocks apart in Glamis and tunes on the spot, or if he needs to take a ride and then take the shocks home.  You want someone that can break them open in their trailer and re-valve out in Glamis so you can drive the car back to back to feel the difference and make the small adjustments.  

Make sure your ride height is correct before you embark on this adventure.  Changing springs at home before hand will save time in the sand.  

Sorry I wasn't implying that he does this for free when i said "see if he'll help you out" I scheduled an appointment and paid for his service . . just meant if he takes your business while at the dunes he would definitely be helping you out as he is really good at what he does. He tuned my suspension to the best of his ability while in the dunes then gave me the option to send him my shocks after the trip to re-valve them and schedule a final fine tune once I put them back on. I was really pleased with the tune he did without changing my valving but every car is different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The looney duner said:

Learn to do it yourself, I do my own, always have. Honestly it's not that hard to do. Set up a work bench in your trailer, with a vise on one end. There is plenty of help online to figure out what to do with the valving. Also then you tune it to your drive style. What works for some does not work for all. 

I learned to rebuild and adjust myself after not getting any call backs from suspension tuners at the dunes. 

Rich at makenzies gave me good instructions on how to do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still looking for more options as no one is getting back to me. I want someone that knows what they are doing and is good at it. I have all the weights and everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, matto822 said:

Still looking for more options as no one is getting back to me. I want someone that knows what they are doing and is good at it. I have all the weights and everything.

Can you post up a pic of your car ?  Couple buddies have Revo's and curious to see what you've got. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weights dont mean much. Need to check ride height with about 2 in of preload on springs.  I have used a person mentioned above and was not happy at all. So ask a lot of questions and start working on yourself if you cant get king to help you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

Ed is the MASTER. If you go with him make sure you do the 'premium' deal where he not only tunes, but completely breaks down the shocks, changes the shims, etc. My car felt like it gained 8" of travel. I could mash the big stuff and on the little stuff all the 'chatter' was removed. I was astounded how much a tuned suspension changed the performance and overall comfort. You'll drive with more confidence too.

I was lucky that the Razor I bought was already tuned by Ed (his sticker was on it). It's really dialed in nice.

Best,

 

abc

“The premium deal” should not describe a proper shock tune.  If you aren’t opening the shocks, you’re just not tuning shocks.  Anyone can adjust bypass tubes, play with preload and spring rates.   If someone is selling you an offer to “tune” your shocks without opening them up to play with the valving, keep on looking.

Once you make adjustments on the front , it will change the way the rear reacts and vice versa.  I was blown away at how well my car turned after removing just a small amount of rebound shims in the.  No placebo effect, it was an instant noticeable difference.  After revalving the front, a little more fine tuning on the rear tubes and it was a whole new car.   I described what I though the car was doing, how I thought it should be handling different, and Wayne made the adjustments based on my desires.  He did not “tell” me to do anything or provide input, which I actually enjoyed.  He wants me to provide as much detail as possible to get the car to handle how I thought it should because his perfect may not be my perfect.  I appreciated his approach and was thrilled with the results.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is Wayne’s website.  It looks like he is working on it, or he is too busy and doesn’t want/need outside folks contacting him.  Some of these guys stay busy year round handling the race teams and they really don’t want or need to do anything outside of that. 

http://www.alltechmotorsports.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most important thing is to get a good video of the car though some whoops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tested with King in Barstow today.  Best decision I've ever make Iribe from King had my car so much better in 10 min. it blew my mind.  So awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, roostinyfz said:

Just tested with King in Barstow today.  Best decision I've ever make Iribe from King had my car so much better in 10 min. it blew my mind.  So awesome. 

Dirt only car, or plan to use in the dunes?  No doubt a good dirt tune is better than none at all, but I’m genuinely curious how a Barstow tune translates to handling in Glamis.   Did it cost money to tune with King?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hondajimz said:

Can you post up a pic of your car ?  Couple buddies have Revo's and curious to see what you've got. 

Here are some photos

BFD.jpg

BFD 2.jpg

BFD 3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, matto822 said:

Here are some photos

BFD.jpg

BFD 2.jpg

BFD 3.jpg

Very nice car, that thing should be a blast! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, evantwheeler said:

Dirt only car, or plan to use in the dunes?  No doubt a good dirt tune is better than none at all, but I’m genuinely curious how a Barstow tune translates to handling in Glamis.   Did it cost money to tune with King?

If you want to know what  Barstow tune feels like in Glamis then you should go for a ride in my car.  Once Jeff Quinn dialed my car in I didn't change anything for Glamis.  And King will tune your shocks for free in Barstow on Wednesdays, but I think you need to make an appointment, unless you are a race team or King sponsored car.  Iribe knows is shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

If you want to know what  Barstow tune feels like in Glamis then you should go for a ride in my car.  Once Jeff Quinn dialed my car in I didn't change anything for Glamis.  And King will tune your shocks for free in Barstow on Wednesdays, but I think you need to make an appointment, unless you are a race team or King sponsored car.  Iribe knows is shit.

What if my car has Fox shocks?  Assuming I would need to track down the Fox guys and not the King guys?  I’m very happy with the way my car handles, but I know it can always be improved with little tweaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...