Dave In Florida

Best Battery For A Buggy

I need a new battery for my buggy.  There is a mount under the rear seat, forgot to get dimensions while I had the car apart.  A GM side post is currently in there, but it's a couple inches too tall.  Either way,

I need a battery that has decent reserve capacity (GM V6 with FI, car will be getting Lowrance, radio's, headsets, etc soon).  I also want something that is OK with not being used for a month or more at a time.  I don't mind plugging the car into some sort of battery tender while parked.  

What's the go-to battery these days?  My first buggy had a full size Optima, but we all know the quality went way down a few years ago.  I had a $300 Odyssey in my Beetle, but a bad rectifier in my Alternator swelled it like a pumpkin, so I'd RATHER not dump $300 into a battery for the buggy now, but if that's the best option so be it.  

I think Odyssey is the tired and true answer for our uses and abuse.  The rectifier issues isn’t the batteries fault, you likely would have ruined any battery, no?  

I’ve been happy with my total power batteries. 

I have an Odyssey 925 going on 5 years now.  No issues, plenty of power to start my LS motor, etc.

2 minutes ago, evantwheeler said:

I think Odyssey is the tired and true answer for our uses and abuse.  The rectifier issues isn’t the batteries fault, you likely would have ruined any battery, no?  

Oh you're absolutely right, any battery would've been nuked.  But I'd have felt better if a $100 battery got nuked than a $300 one LOL.  

4 minutes ago, jtmoney714 said:

Couldn’t remember the other supplier that sells a comparable product to Odyssey, but I think this is it.

5 minutes ago, jtmoney714 said:

This. Total Power going strong after 4-ish seasons, and my buggy is super cold blooded. 

Do the Odyssey or Total Power batteries need a different battery tender type device than a regular lead acid battery?  

I dont use a battery tender. Just turn off the battery switch and let it sit for months at a time. My Oddesey has been great,

Have a total power. Has sat for up to 3 months and cranks like fresh. I like these! Now 2 years old so time will tell.

11 minutes ago, Grease Monkey said:

I dont use a battery tender. Just turn off the battery switch and let it sit for months at a time. My Oddesey has been great,

Same for me.

20 minutes ago, Flip-Flop said:

Same for me.

This. I just replaced my Odyssey that was dated 2012.

My Odyssey pc 925, pair are dated 2013 and still going strong believe it or not! I was thinking of pulling them out for this season and putting them on the enclosed trailer and putting a new pair in the buggy just for Peace of mind.

1 hour ago, jtmoney714 said:

I had 2 Total  Power batteries leak, They warrantied one of them and told me to kick rocks on the second one.

They were mounted on their side, which they said was ok, Needless to say,  when it leaked under my seat, it ruined a bunch of shiat!

I believe Odyssey is a better product.

My Odyssey just died last year, it was 9 years old, and was around $160 if I remember.  I don't use a battery tender, but do throw a regular charger on it before a trip.  

It just works.

16080019_otm_d34m950_pri_larg.jpg

I use a Odyssey 925. I don't have a cut off switch. I'm gonna add one.

Used the car with new battery last year labor day weekend. It sat until October,  Camp RZR to be exact with no charger or battery tender and worked perfect.

Then it sat till about 2 weeks ago and it cranked like a brand new battery. Again no charge or battery tender.

These batteries are a lil pricey but work really good for years to come.

I have it on my buggy with 3.0 V6 Honda. 

I've been doing some searching as well, some people are running the smaller Odyssey PC680

also came across these

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Deka-12-Volt-Motorcycle-Battery/50183753

Had a total Power it was fine but redid car and got an Odeysey 680 works fine with Honda 3.5. I had a vw in it before but I think I can use next size up when it comes to hot starts. 

As for maintaining at home I don't really do much holds fine although I might put a trickle charger on it for a few hours just a regular one. 

I keep hearing   " Optima batteries quality has gone way down "  but I just replaced mine that is dated 2009.  Even then I still didn't give it up for a core because its still good. Instead I pulled the battery out of my civic which was showing signs of weakness and gave that one up for a core then put the Optima in it . . . . . . . .D51 Yellow Optima ( it's a half size ) laying on its side all day long, no issues what so ever. . . . . . . .Only replacing (with another Optima) for peace of mind.   After all it is 10 YEARS , lets get real. 

:NoHate:

I always keep my Total Power on a battery tender:

http://products.batterytender.com/Chargers/Battery-Tender.html

Says it’s fine for AGM, hasn’t caused any problems. 

total power 1200 for me.  great battery.  I have killed it twice down to 5 volts and it came back both times. I went though a few Odessey's.   I did run dual wheel chair battery's from interstate same case as a Odessey and only 90 bucks.  Gilmore turned me on to them years ago.  He sells a ton of them.   I would still run the Total Power

Love my odessy. Ran an interstate AGM in my last car but it was bulky and expensive 

8 hours ago, jaybird95 said:

It just works.

16080019_otm_d34m950_pri_larg.jpg

Yes they do, extremely well...

20190722_230423.jpg

11 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

Yes they do, extremely well...

20190722_230423.jpg

With those you could do portable welding.