Dave In Florida

Best Battery For A Buggy

Red top Optima. Just replaced one last year that had 13 years on it. Good info on the different Optima batteries. https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/battery-basics/redtop-vs-yellowtop-vs-bluetop-battery

On 9/11/2019 at 11:08 AM, 2turbofords said:

My Odyssey pc 925, pair are dated 2013 and still going strong believe it or not! I was thinking of pulling them out for this season and putting them on the enclosed trailer and putting a new pair in the buggy just for Peace of mind.

do you think 2 batteries would handle a stereo system ? been thinking about adding another one.

9 minutes ago, kingkong said:

do you think 2 batteries would handle a stereo system ? been thinking about adding another one.

Yes, put in a selector switch. you can run battery a and b all the way to the hill switch it to battery b, run on your stereo for hours until it dies...switch it back to battery a start the engine and drive away. 

On 9/12/2019 at 5:29 PM, 2turbofords said:

Yes, put in a selector switch. you can run battery a and b all the way to the hill switch it to battery b, run on your stereo for hours until it dies...switch it back to battery a start the engine and drive away. 

Noted good to know thanks man

On 9/12/2019 at 5:29 PM, 2turbofords said:

If you use a battery selector and it's not on "both" whipe running then only 1 battery will charge. 

I use an Odyssey 925 for the start battery on a high compression LS3 and a small interstate deep cycle for the B battery which runs everything else.  I also use a Blue Sea ACR also for the stereo and lights.  I just replaced my Odyssey after 9 years and it worked perfect when I replaced it.  I just thought it was time.  They are always on a battery minder with a desulfater.  Can't go wrong with an Odyssey or a blue top.

~jw

On 9/11/2019 at 10:01 AM, Grease Monkey said:

I dont use a battery tender. Just turn off the battery switch and let it sit for months at a time. My Oddesey has been great,

This is the most important item when it comes to batteries!

Get a good battery switch that turns everything off. EVERYTHING.

And my vote is for Oddyssey too. Sandcars, RzR, etc.

Edited by matt86m

10 hours ago, kingkong said:

Noted good to know thanks man

9 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

If you use a battery selector and it's not on "both" whipe running then only 1 battery will charge. 

Battery relay like this guy fixes it:

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/5294-07165829.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_content=DN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&utm_term=1975-1990+Ford+F150+Dual+Battery+Solenoid+Relay+Standard+Motor+Products+75-90+Ford+Dual+Battery+Solenoid+Relay+1989+1980&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn_LrBRD4ARIsAFEQFKuj18y-5Lk8QIAgEJQjsWIEBiB1e22x61n0XYRceQa20DFPxmmQ7_gaAlI8EALw_wcB

Run ignition switch to the signal, audio/whip light on one side, engine/starter on the other. 

Since 2005 when I built my car all electrical is run off of this bad boy 250 amp.  Was working fine but I replaced it once just because I wanted to be proactive.

On 9/14/2019 at 4:25 PM, onanysunday said:

Since 2005 when I built my car all electrical is run off of this bad boy 250 amp.  Was working fine but I replaced it once just because I wanted to be proactive.

Certainly safer than running heavy cables to driver-reachable space.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Certainly safer than running heavy cables to driver-reachable space.

My wiring from day one was full overkill. Not one blown fuse or issue in 13 years. Big giant grounds as well.

20190916_103750.jpg

20190916_104329.jpg

20190916_103819.jpg

20190916_103837.jpg

28 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

My wiring from day one was full overkill. Not one blown fuse or issue in 13 years. Big giant grounds as well.

20190916_103750.jpg

20190916_104329.jpg

20190916_103819.jpg

20190916_103837.jpg

Nice!

Was talking about big battery cables accidentally grounding out from a wreck or misplaced screwdriver or whatever. :bigrin 

I had an Optima Red top in my Tatum for 11 years, started 1st crank, every time! Ran car around the neighborhood once a month to maintain a good battery level, and keep the fluids flowing throughout.