Sign in to follow this  
megadesertdiesel

New truck time, to dually or not??

I want to replace my 06 megacab dually with a new ride,  im not brand loyal at all and currently looking.  One big decision i need to overcome I’d to dually or not.  I love the firm planted feeling of my dually, will i really hate going backwards to a single rear wheel?  Towing a 03 WW SLC 3505 weighed. At 12k.  

Face it your sticking with the duals out back. As far as brand I say pick your trim level and make the stealerships earn your business. Can’t go wron with any of the big 3 big trucks. Give them all a drive and take home the one that gives you the most bells and whistles for the least amount of denaro 

id like to make it my daily driver and duallys just suck parking them everywhere.   Is the towing difference that much with a dual wheel?  (talking sway not capacity)

Yep.  Towing between a SRW and DRW is night and day.

Towed the same Warrior with my truck and my buddies 2500.  Wow what a difference.

Just got a new Ford f350 dually diesel. Now have 600 miles on it and smile every time I think about it or drive it. Wish to hear the deal I got pm me.

towing a big 5ver or other heavy trailer id go dually. daily driver it sucks at times though.

6 minutes ago, Kevin said:

towing a big 5ver or other heavy trailer id go dually. daily driver it sucks at times though.

yeah I might keep my 07 ranger DD I have now, but she had 224k on it and might not last long.  

I drive a 14 ram 3500 dually every day and it isn't that bad. The back up cameras and all of the sensors make it fairly painless to park. I am particular about my stuff so I usually don't mind walking a little to avoid door dings and would do that regardless what I drive. I love to tow my Genesis CR40 with the dually super stable. Just my .02 worth. Can't wait to see what you buy your stuff is always clean and cool.

For that big of trailer, Dually all the way!

Better to have more truck than you need or at least the right truck for what you are towing.

I have a 17 Ram dually and it is my dd and sometimes it’s a pain but towing I wouldn’t have anything else, I also tow a Genisis cr40 and it tows like a dream 

where are all you single rear wheel towing guys?  Afraid to admit they don't have enough wheels?  White knuckle ride?

28 minutes ago, megadesertdiesel said:

where are all you single rear wheel towing guys?  Afraid to admit they don't have enough wheels?  White knuckle ride?

One of my trucks is single wheel long bed. It handles great with a trailer.  But I would probably go dually with a TH like yours and keep or get another small truck for daily driving.  New 10 speed Duramax Dually if I was to buy a Dually. Order it from Jason at Selman Chevy. I have 2 3500 Duramax work trucks loaded down at 12k pounds daily. 

I have the duramax SRW and in my opinion it drives and tows great. I tow my 3305 5th wheel fully loaded, fuel water and buggy and I’m super happy with it. I also tow equipment around with it and I don’t have a complaint one about it. I would love to have a dually but I think I would go nuts driving it everyday. You have to weigh the options of how much you tow<daily driver. 

I’m sure there’s also more caution while towing with a srw but I’m not winning any races while towing. 

7 hours ago, megadesertdiesel said:

I tow my 40’ 5er with my single wheel short bed Super Duty never a issue.

Had a SRW 250 when I bought my CR3905. Towed fine. Didn't feel unsafe. Decided to sell the 250 and get a 350. Not necessarily for capacity but to get away from the 6.0 and into a 7.3 (this was quite a few years ago). I'd driven a dually in high school so I was used to parking out in the back 40 and not being able to hit the drive thru without running up on a few curbs, so I went ahead and got the dually. First time towing the trailer down a windy road in the dually I was quite impressed, no roll at all.  

The other thing I'd add is that parking spaces seem to be getting smaller and smaller, so I think with a SRW or a dually, you're still going to be parking farther out and walking in.

I tow a 47' weekend warrior completely loaded with a Silverado Duramax lifted on 35's

it does the job. its always a fun ride. If im doing 90+ miles an hour and hit a hump it the road its a hellava ride. I think the front wheels even came off the ground one time

the guy in front of me was towing a similar size rig with a stock dually and claims he barely felt it. (I wont mention any names)

Edited by sandroosten

Test drove an 18 Ram 2500 Laramie longbed with air suspension and it was nice, drove a 19 GMC SLT with leather seats and longbed.  Comparable ride in very similar trucks.  GMG interior layout was generic and dash looked like big kindergarten knobs, back seat was smaller than Ram.  Then Ford didnt have a used one to compare so i drove a dually king ranch, this truck the same as my 06 dually and was not impressed.  

The Ram specs seem to be sufficient for my trailer, didnt get any GMC specs the used guy had no clue about towing anything or how to find info.  

28505380-EB75-4070-8947-17F410016E5A.jpeg

16 hours ago, sandroosten said:

I tow a 47' weekend warrior completely loaded with a Silverado Duramax lifted on 35's

it does the job. its always a fun ride. If im doing 90+ miles an hour and hit a hump it the road its a hellava ride. I think the front wheels even came off the ground one time

the guy in front of me was towing a similar size rig with a stock dually and claims he barely felt it. (I wont mention any names)

the Chevy has a IFS front end so that is only a heavy Half-Ton, come on big J we know Chevy does not make a 3/4 or 1 ton, truck unless you covert it to a Dodge/Ford Straight Axle then you have a truck :rotf:

Edited by J Alper

Was a longtime dmax dually guy. Bought a '17 f350 dually and love it.  The technology is light years ahead of the current gm trucks and the ass massaging seats are awesome on long drives.  The seat heaters get stupid hot if u want and the seat coolers get very cold.  Fwiw the f450 has a way sharper turning radius than f350. The new fords are sprung soft so the f450 won't beat you up like the older ones.  Wish i had gotten a f450....

On 9/12/2019 at 12:17 PM, megadesertdiesel said:

Never ever ever had a White Knuckle ride!... 

I found a new 2018 leftover Ram 3500 SRW longhorn megacab.  Trying to work a deal on it now.   Does ride a little stiff but i hear replacing shocks make a big difference.  

Made a deal on the truck today and i pick it up Saturday After the Clear bra. And wheel swap has been completed.  I didnt like the 20” wheels and takes them into swapping for some 18’s on another 1 ton.  

Ill post up all the goodies ill be adding to it in another thread. 

37C79FF7-BB4F-4668-9C59-B0F592B19AFE.jpeg

C74CC4C1-53ED-42B3-9C98-BCB3C41CC682.jpeg

3BA1ED8F-D2EC-404C-9061-051C0A5ABE52.jpeg

B5F8DE2E-C0C1-45F3-AAD5-4B85A5EAD6A8.jpeg

74650C17-D427-4155-A404-9312EBB3EC6D.jpeg

Congrats on the new ride, and welcome to the black truck in AZ club.