L.R.S.

Steel It painting shocks

People seem to really like the Steel-It on shocks, even though there are some nay-sayers, I did another set today.  Will it hold up?  Not sure.  But a fellow board member @drofmij uses the silver Steel-It on his Class 10 car shocks and is very happy with it.  Will it cause the shocks to run hotter?  I seriously doubt any noticeable or significant heat increases will be caused by a few coats of spray paint.  If the giant KING or FOX stickers don't cause extra heat insulation than why would paint?  Will it hold up?  Not sure.  Why did I type this twice?  Because it gets asked a lot.   I'm not the first guy to do this to shocks.  I believe KDM Shock Technologies has done numerous shocks in Steel-It.  But they don't post here, so I will...

I got a call from @GRANT@FUNCO asking if I was interested in doing some shocks in Steel-It for him.  Hell yeah!  He said he would have them all torn down and ready for me to pick up and paint.  When I picked up the shocks I noticed a odd looking white speckled stuff all over them.  Grant said the car was from Dubai (I think) and that's what happens to them over there.

20190910_203415.jpg

The top shock is how I picked it up from Funco an the bottom one has been wiped down with mineral spirits an a light scouring pad.

20190910_202419.jpg

Grant said the client wanted to keep the KING and Rebound and Compression stickers so they were masked off.  It really didn't make a difference to me- removing the stickers and residue would take about as much time as masking them off.  But the added time of putting new stickers on made masking them off the better choice.  I didn't put new stickers on my King's or the set of  Fox's I painted.

20190910_205538.jpg

20190911_183428.jpg

The Steel-It spray can sputtered a little and shot some drops onto this reservoir.  I let it dry for an hour then used 320 grit sand paper to remove the drops.  I wiped it down with mineral spirits, let it air dry and repainted it by just lightly spraying on a thin coat then another, then another.  It blended in perfectly and is not noticeable at all.  I learned to swipe my finger across the spray nozzle after spraying for 15-20 seconds to eliminate any paint build up.  Once I started doing that there were no more droplets. 

20190911_191339.jpg

Once all the shocks had dried for a few hours I removed the masking tape an installed the reservoirs back on the shock bodies.  I also used 3/8" shrink tube on the hose clamps to give them a more finished look.  I posted a video of that on Instagram and was surprised to get a few DM's from people saying how 'genius' that was.  I've been doing it for years and thought plenty of people knew about it.  It is simple and effective.

20190911_191356.jpg

I'm really happy with the result. 

Will it hold up?  No idea.  But I will report back in about a month an a half when I get my car in the sand.

I have a buddy that races class 17(?)  And uses steel it on much if his car, and says it holds up well and it easy to repaint.

I painted mine and reinstalled on car

20190907_152125.jpg

14 minutes ago, 2011BFD said:

I have a buddy that races class 17(?)  And uses steel it on much if his car, and says it holds up well and it easy to repaint.

I painted mine and reinstalled on car

Looks good man. Did you remove the stickers and put new ones on or mask them off? I have found that King stickers come off way easier than Fox stickers.

I just painted mine this week Ill get some pics when they are assembled, I did notice if you warm the can up a little that it sprays better without splatter, i just ran warm water over the can in the sink first

Big improvement. Is this the $11 spray can or the $30 polyurethane stuff? 

1 hour ago, L.R.S. said:

Looks good man. Did you remove the stickers and put new ones on or mask them off? I have found that King stickers come off way easier than Fox stickers.

Masked but a few need replacing I'll have to order

They look brand new / You are gonna be making a few more trips to Grant with the way those came out!

NICE!!!

:poule:

Seems like spray can is the way to go with this stuff...  Buying a case-ish today to finally paint my chassis this weekend.  Nice tips on warming the can/wiping the nozzle.

Edited by Rockwood

Did mine. Hopefully it holds up. Sounds like chances are good. 

imagejpeg_1(2) (1)2.jpg

14 hours ago, rpmsrup said:

I just painted mine this week Ill get some pics when they are assembled, I did notice if you warm the can up a little that it sprays better without splatter, i just ran warm water over the can in the sink first

Good tip on warming up the can, hadn't even considered that.  I'll try that next time for sure!

14 hours ago, FAMILY OF 4 said:

Big improvement. Is this the $11 spray can or the $30 polyurethane stuff? 

This is the $25 per can Steel-It.  A buddy that races Trophy Truck and 6100 truck told me about a cheaper ($10 per can) Seymore brand of stainless spray paint and I bought 10 cans.  Used it on my prerunner and it was fine.  Then Steel-It came out with the black color so that's what I've been using on shocks.

13 hours ago, POULE43 said:

They look brand new / You are gonna be making a few more trips to Grant with the way those came out!

NICE!!!

:poule:

Shit, I hope so!  I have a pretty good system down now and I'll do them all day long.

10 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

Good tip on warming up the can, hadn't even considered that.  I'll try that next time for sure!

This is the $25 per can Steel-It.  A buddy that races Trophy Truck and 6100 truck told me about a cheaper ($10 per can) Seymore brand of stainless spray paint and I bought 10 cans.  Used it on my prerunner and it was fine.  Then Steel-It came out with the black color so that's what I've been using on shocks.

Both the Seymour and Steel-it spray about the same out of the can?

9 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Both the Seymour and Steel-it spray about the same out of the can?

Honestly don't recall. I used the Seymore early last season on the bulkhead and front tubes on my chassis. I don't remember it sputtering though.

Very clean...nice work!!

~jw

Steel It is selling cans for $20.00 at the show....

I am definitely standing by to hear results...

I guess Jeff would consider me a nay sayer on using a thin spray paint layer on shocks...

I  used to paint for a lving and prep is everything except the way the material knits...I really hope this holds up, and if black steel it is $20 a can at SSSS I am buying a couple its great on little brackets etc.

Do threads still works? I've seen threaded bodies ceracoated and they still turn.

nice work @L.R.S.

looks amazing

On 9/14/2019 at 9:55 AM, JGSturbo said:

Do threads still works? I've seen threaded bodies ceracoated and they still turn.

On my Kings I was able to move the preload adjuster without it messing up the paint. On the Fox's the preload spring was a little tighter and scuffed the paint so I touched them up a little.

1 minute ago, J Alper said:

nice work @L.R.S.

looks amazing

Thanks man.