2011BFD

Need BBQ/Smoker help

Looking for some barbecue smoker help from the peeps on the board. My son is about to buy his 1st house out in North Carolina and I know hes looking for a barbecue and a smoker I was hoping to buy him one for a house warming present. wondering if you guys have any recommendations?  I have a Built-in barbecue island at my house so I'm not a huge smoker fan, wondering if there is 1 unit that does both at a somewhat reasonable price.

He is my favorite son and my favorite first child but not looking to spend gigantic dollars. 😁😁

That's nice I'll have to see about shipping 

Kamado grille is what I want next.  Did the longhorn style one and it worked great, but since a BBQ/grille gets left outside all the time, not a huge fan of steel since it doesn't look good for long.  With the one I had, the paint doesn't last on the firebox side and it rusts out pretty quick. 

Edited by Rockwood

I recently picked up a Camp Chef Woodwind grill.  If you're going to have just 1 grill/smoker, it's the best IMHO.  It has a lot of cool features that others don't, but the big one is that the heat deflector slides off to the side with a handle which allows you to cook with direct heat like a traditional BBQ.  I got the model with the side sear-box ( https://www.outdoorcooking.com/products/grills-smokers/pellet-grills/camp-chef-sg-woodwind-pellet-grill-with-sear-box.html ), which is really awesome and lets you finish meats with a super-high-temp sear, or you can turn it on low and use a cast iron pan on it to cook up a sauce as you're doing the steaks (or just about about anything else you'd want to do with a regular heat source, heat up some baked beans, throw some veggies on it, etc. etc.).  You can watch the vid for the features: 

The ONE thing it doesn't have, that I wish it did was wifi or Bluetooth integration.  I've had Green Mountain Grills with that feature, and it's cool to be able to see the internal temp of your food on your phone from anywhere as it's cooking.  I solved that by just adding a stand-alone Bluetooth meat thermometer, so it's not a big deal.  Just something I think "should" be included at the price.   Otherwise the features and quality are 2nd to none, and I've had Traeger and GMG products and used most others. 

-TJ

is your son into smoking? if its something he wont use then why spend the money on a smoker.  if he is into smoking, then might want to ask him what his preference would be for a smoker. im pretty partial to certain types of smokers for smoking meat myself.  then theres the propane vs charcoal. for certain foods i use my smoker that runs on charcoal/wood. for others i use my propane grill for the ease of use. on the charcoal side a good combo for grilling and or smoking i feel is the big green egg type of grill/smokers. they are limited on grill space though. for a propane grill the weber grills are awesome. in the smoker world there are tons of options. pellet grills, charcoal smokers, drum smokers, stick burners, etc. for smoking i am currently using a weber smokey mountain smoker. it is a great cooker, however my preference is now a large reverse flow stickburner.

in the bbq thread in the food forum has a bunch of pics of people setups

If he doesn't have one, a Weber Kettle is an absolute must have.

paging @matt86m.... Hes the worst to follow as a hungry pregnant lady but... He definitely knows his shiz.

I think he wants to grill more than smoke, be just him and buddies when they come so I am sure grilling will be bigger part.  Has been in apartment for 8 years, 4 in college and 4 bouncing around the country with military now he is in 1 spot for minimum 2 years so he bought a house and loves bbq.

Green mountain pellet grille will do just about everything....better than Traeger...

the only people that hate pellet grilles are the BBQ snobs...with the eggs and the old webers….everyone I know that has one LOVES it....

He'll never need a bigger grill...it pretty much does it all....  unless he turns into a BBQ God......

1 hour ago, realbadlarry said:

Green mountain pellet grille will do just about everything....better than Traeger...

^This is correct, You can sear at 475 or smoke at 150, I had a Traeger and gave it away after my 1st GMG. and not super expensive.

I have a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone. It is their medium size smoker pellet smoker. It's been great smoker with zero issues. I belong to a facebook group of GMG owners and the ones that needed customer service have said they were easy to deal with and no problems at all. However, I do not use it for everything. It just depends. I smoke a lot of tri tip, pork shoulders, ribs etc on the GMG but use a gas grille for searing and other meats like carne or pollo asada. I can get the GMG up to 500 degrees to do those things but prefer not to waste the pellets. All in all, it's a great brand and super to easy to use for the novice just getting in to smoking.

Andrew

We just bought the Traeger Ranger portable grill. It is small and I can take it in the motorhome. It works great for small items, We use it for simple dinners, chicken, pork chops, tri tip come out great. Was not sure how much I would use a smoker and did not want to spend 1K plus for it to sit. We probably use it 3 times a week now and will probably get a nicer one next summer and keep this one in the MoHo.

My first question is what's your budget?

There are a lot of great grills and smokers. 

21 minutes ago, matt86m said:

My first question is what's your budget?

There are a lot of great grills and smokers. 

He is my favorite son and first child :)

I'd say 5 or $600 shipped to North Carolina 

9 minutes ago, 2011BFD said:

He is my favorite son and first child :)

I'd say 5 or $600 shipped to North Carolina 

With that $$ I'd say a Weber Kettle 22'' or better the 26''

Easy to grill and smoke on. 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/charcoal-grills/8406720?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_OzrBRDmARIsAAIdQ_IvXd96KvCV4ggk6s2P57uVojLPfgcgOyl6mE81N8yukzcFglmXfAAaAhwoEALw_wcB

With some accessories and charcoal to get him started.

Or

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/charcoal-grills/8406670?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_OzrBRDmARIsAAIdQ_Jw3DEDbLdsAi7riDfFK5-78-0i1jKgBaV7DfcaJOH7g1e0rqtDlTgaAvqFEALw_wcB

Like Kevin suggested for smoking the Weber Smokey Mountain 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/charcoal-grills/8233306

All the above are charcoal. Some don't want to mess with that. If he wants a gas grill I am a fan of Weber for those too.

Ceramic Kamado grills like the Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, Primo etc are fun to use and grill a steak like NO pellet cooker can. There is a learning curve to these, how much lump charcoal to use, light, vent adjustments, etc. Can fire them up to 6-700* for pizza and even higher for that steak house sear (though not needed).

Stick burners are unique and for smoking only. Burn hard wood and also a learning curve.

Traeger, GMG, Yoder, Etc are the pellet type. Not always set it and forget it. My Traeger gave me fits and their customer service threw parts at it until it started to behave.  I like it for low and slow cooks, chicken and some other things but it cant cook a steak like my BGE or Weber. 

TJ talked about his with a direct heat feature, nice to have. I haven't used one but I keep hearing good things. GMG too. 

They (not sure who 'they' are) say the price of brisket has gone up with the popularity of pellet smokers because they are 'easy' to use.

Whatever you buy, get it from a dealer on the east coast so you save on shipping. (Obvious but thought I'd mention it)

On 9/13/2019 at 2:09 AM, Bansh88 said:

If he doesn't have one, a Weber Kettle is an absolute must have.

Agree that Weber is good. But there're a number of other good small grill.

For example I love my Fuego F24C Professional Propane Gas Grill.  This is just an "unkillable" grill! But not the cheapest.

Such a grill is cheaper Coleman Sportster Propane Grill

Edited by Gregfosterid

Propane?!  Pff

2 hours ago, Bansh88 said:

Propane?!  Pff

I love my Mastertemp.  Bluetooth and perfect heat.

On 9/27/2019 at 7:10 PM, Bansh88 said:

Propane?!  Pff

What's wrong?

12 hours ago, Gregfosterid said:

What's wrong?

Wood/Charcoal Snob. He's not wrong.

Heres mine, homemade and works awesome.

20190922_091040.jpg