Sign in to follow this  
John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Making some custom adjustable cam gears, Subaru 6

My current prototype 3.2 liter Subaru motor is going on steroids, more porting, larger cams, custom valve springs and retainers--all done but to top it off this motor started as a 3.6 liter that I destroked, but it has 4 cam gears that are all variable. variable intake cam gears are useful in making more power and torque but variable exhaust cam gears are only for smog, so they are dormant/not connected.  they have an internal locking pin that sets them at theoretical zero but after head milling, block milling etc,  they ideally would need to be somewhere else than zero. (lock out pin engaged)

I'm making some adjustable lower cam gears to both make the part adjustable  and make it stronger (I once had a lower stock cam gear come apart as they were not designed for higher valve spring pressures and RPM that I was pushing them through).  In the recent past I have filled them with epoxy and bolted them together so no movement was possible.  here is a prototype of the two parts.  the blue part was made on a 3D printer, the thin metal disc sandwiched between the gear and blue part will be made out of 3/4" thick aluminum. 

This has been fun but a lot more thinking went into this part then meets the eye.  Adjustable to  8deg in both directions. because these are one-off pieces I wont have the typical deg marks etched/lasered in so I even have a built in zeroing hole. to do the initial cam chain installation and orientation

IMG_7885.JPG

IMG_7886.JPG

IMG_7887.JPG

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Is the gear "loose" on the cam, the blue piece is the phasing part, and the middle plate is what actually bolts to the cam?

17 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Is the gear "loose" on the cam, the blue piece is the phasing part, and the middle plate is what actually bolts to the cam?

The blue part is what bolts to the cam with an alignment pin, the middle plate is what bolts to the blue part and is adjustable, the cam gear is loose on the cam and now will bolt to the middle piece.  so the cam gear and middle piece become one part and can rotate on the snout of the camshaft, and the cam and blue piece become one piece.

3 bolts attach the cam gear to the center piece from the back side

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Way cool John.

We are starting to use Additive manufacturing at work.  Pretty neat stuff.

I love how you are always taking things to the next level! 

Nice work!!!