The looney duner

Sand winder chassis?

I'm eyeballing a car for sale, ls1, PBS s4, in a sand winder chassis. Are these any good? Never really heard much about them. Any inherent problems, strength issues, geometry problems? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.  Tia.

Dang, LS1 in this thing would scoot... :bigrin 

0000464_the-sidewinder_1_1024x1024.jpg?v

My buddy has one he loves it

20190303_150932.thumb.jpg.fbcf62a2287fdee7802ad004c983fa13.jpgHad one for years. Great car

I have one and love it. Purchased from Squatcher on here in 2016.  LS1 /2d.

I broke the front arms. Had @L.R.S. build me new ones. The original arms were mild steel and thin walled.

Everything else has been great. It's a wide car and a great duner. And tons of leg room for bigger guys. Super comfortable ride. 

IMG_20181207_220717_739.thumb.jpg.40b88f102950e92a5c05cc161bf987e4.jpg

20171117_165016.thumb.jpg.557d3dc5006335e25034e1104c314324.jpg

IMG_20181207_220511_716.jpg.35787d4f730ddd59839b0a84c3e02afa.jpg

I had one years ago, it handled really well and never had any problems with it.

Going on the 4th season with mine, no issues. Super wide barely fits in my toyhauler. Have to change all four tires and strap front end to get it in trailer. But is uber stable in the dunes

2D250760-BEA9-443E-822E-38B95CD08CF1.jpeg

Edited by AZLTD

check the inner pivot points on the rear arms. Mainly around the frame comes together. Also check the tubes down from the rear motor mounts.  I have seen a few crack from heavy driving.  Good riding and handling cars though.

My buddy has one....trucks the family all through the dunes and keeps up no problem.  I've never heard of him complain about it and it's never broken before.  He doesn't drag race or run the hill but he dunes the heck out of it.  I think his wife drives it harder than he does....but don't tell him that! LOL  He has an LS1/2D in his.

~jw

If the price is right go for it. Love the way they dune. 

Edited by Squatcher

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the insight. I went and looked at it, and I like it. Now I have to see if mine will sell....

On 9/13/2019 at 5:03 PM, MGM/FRP said:

check the inner pivot points on the rear arms. Mainly around the frame comes together. Also check the tubes down from the rear motor mounts.  I have seen a few crack from heavy driving.  Good riding and handling cars though.

This^^^^.  Although these items are more prevalent on earlier years.  Mine had a full gusset in the rear clip/pivot tube area so I never had problems there.  Front arms were also a running change that Darin did.  The gusset on the lower arm got longer and longer as the years went on.  Full length is ideal.  I had a blast in this car.  They actually dune very well but they're no Subi/Funco.  Haha.

IMG_0586.JPG

2 minutes ago, CHIZZLE said:

This^^^^.  Although these items are more prevalent on earlier years.  Mine had a full gusset in the rear clip/pivot tube area so I never had problems there.  Front arms were also a running change that Darin did.  The gusset on the lower arm got longer and longer as the years went on.  Full length is ideal.  I had a blast in this car.  They actually dune very well but they're no Subi/Funco.  Haha.

IMG_0586.JPG

Man that is a good looking car 

I appreciate the feedback guys, I have another question, do any of you guys use your car in the dirt? are they tough enough? the one im looking at has the rear arm mounts reinforced, and has boxed front arms with 2" spindles. im not expecting to run baja with it, but my group does a few dirt trip each year, ocotillo wells and Johnson valley. I use my sand limo in the dirt for these trips currently, and it has done very well. @L.R.S. I know you have worked on a few of these cars, what do you think of them? feel free to p.m. me if anyone has info they don't want made public. again, thank you all for the help.....

On 9/17/2019 at 9:43 AM, The looney duner said:

I appreciate the feedback guys, I have another question, do any of you guys use your car in the dirt? are they tough enough? the one im looking at has the rear arm mounts reinforced, and has boxed front arms with 2" spindles. im not expecting to run baja with it, but my group does a few dirt trip each year, ocotillo wells and Johnson valley. I use my sand limo in the dirt for these trips currently, and it has done very well. @L.R.S. I know you have worked on a few of these cars, what do you think of them? feel free to p.m. me if anyone has info they don't want made public. again, thank you all for the help.....

I think it would be fine with some moderate hard pack driving.  If I remember right...my buddies had uniballs  in the lower front arms?  Seemed pretty stout to me.   I use my DD in the hardpack all the time.  I added boxed front and rear arms with 2" hollows and midboards.  Sounds like the one your looking at already has that done too?  I say go for it!

~jw

3 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

I think it would be fine with some moderate hard pack driving.  If I remember right...my buddies had uniballs  in the lower front arms?  Seemed pretty stout to me.   I use my DD in the hardpack all the time.  I added boxed front and rear arms with 2" hollows and midboards.  Sounds like the one your looking at already has that done too?  I say go for it!

~jw

I did 😊

On 9/17/2019 at 9:43 AM, The looney duner said:

Sorry man, missed this till just now.  I've never duned one but I have worked on a couple of them and they seem to be really great cars.  I've wrenched on @Grey Mamba car for a few seasons now and did a TON of work to board member @farmdog Sandwinder that had a Fortin transaxle and CBM LS3 (I think?).

SCH-I5357104.JPG

2014070395141903.jpg

Driver error.

20141026_131051.jpg

I built new arms for it.

20180708_161756.jpg

87074.jpeg

87075.jpeg

87072.jpeg

20170302_152304.jpg

20170302_152311.jpg

20170320_143834.jpg

44354.jpeg

20170320_145207.jpg

2 hours ago, The looney duner said:

I did 😊

Ohhh dang.  Congrats holmes. :bigrin 

2 hours ago, The looney duner said:

I did 😊

So let’s see some pictures 

Had a Sandwinder Venum for years. Was a really big but fun car. Definitely watch for cracks in the areas mentioned above.

Halloween2009051.jpg

jump.jpg

Prez22011.JPG

Oops.jpg

12 hours ago, The looney duner said:

I did 😊

Congrats!  Post up some pics when you get a chance. 👍🏼

I brought it home, and immediately took all of the suspension apart, its getting new hardware and a good once over before hitting the dunes. 

I appreciate all the feedback and help I got on this thread. It's awesome to have a site like this. thanks guys!

30 minutes ago, The looney duner said:

I brought it home, and immediately took all of the suspension apart, its getting new hardware and a good once over before hitting the dunes. 

Good call. Use a little anti seize on the hardware, especially the bolts going through stainless misalignment's and shocks.

36 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

Good call. Use a little anti seize on the hardware, especially the bolts going through stainless misalignment's and shocks.

10-4 I have that crap in a quick draw holster by now lol.