Desertdogs

2005 Honda TRX450R Tech Help - Vibration

Hey Honda guys, I’ve got a bit of a puzzle for you to figure out.  

I scored a lo-mileage 05 TRX450R, no scratches on frame, suspension. Owner didn’t ride it offroad, only same pavement, even the oils n brake fluid looked like original.  I dropped all the stock suspension off, put on the same stuff I used to use on my desert bike (Elkas, plus A-arms, wider axle, protaper anti-vibe bars n mount, FMF anti-vibe, etc).  Only difference is that I went with a thick plastic frame skid vice aluminum. 

Well, it has this wicked vibration in mid range that comes up through the handle bars, makes my hands buzz, gets painful and have to shake my hands to clear it  Most noticeable in whoops, but also at speed on flat roads   

Checked and rechecked all bolts, pipe doesn't touch frame. Starts first kick, idles perfect, runs well.

I am at a complete loss as to what this could be. Talked it over with Northern NV shops, not much help. Some though crank going bad or timing was off (don’t agree with timing)

C’mon GD.Com crew, can ya help me out?

(all fluids were flushed, they were clean, new clutch plates, new bearings everywhere, IMS tank, new controls. Vibration wasn’t there before the change out)

Edited by Desertdogs

Does it have the HRC kit? Did it have the vibration before you did the mods?

Congrats on the find.

Hey Curt...welcome back!

OK...few questions.

The vibration.  Is it a high frequency buzz or a very pronounced shake?  Can you differentiate the vibration from any suspension issues over possible engine issues?

Engine vibrations can be a bit hard.  Sometimes it happens only under a load, sometimes it's just the engine.  Try reving the motor in neutral with your hand on it.  Try moving your hand to different places on the motor to see if it's more pronounced in one area over the other.  This might help isolating it.  if it vibrated in neutral like you are saying...most likely a crank, rod, or the bearings.  If this is the case, I would not riding it till you get it replaced as when these go, the whole motor can be damaged.

If there is no vibration doing this, it could be a bad bearing or shaft in the transmission.  OR...it could still be the crank/rod/bearings in the engine that only show up under load.  I know..."then how do you know???"  The remedy is almost the same.  You're going to have to crack the case anyway so...

Next....suspension.  Many times miss adjustments or loose hardware will show up as a vibration at certain speeds.

How is your alignment?  If your alignment is off, it can show up like this.  The whole bike will shake, most likely in the bars is where you will feel it the most.  I know some people like to do crazy things with their camber/caster/etc...  I have always set my bikes/SXS/car up zero on everything.  They always work great...no issues.  You have any...just let go and the bike/SXS/car straightens out on it's own.  How about the chain tension?  A chain can do this if it's not adjusted properly.  Sounds elementary but...put it on a stand, taking all the weight off the wheels and suspension and shake each wheel up, down, side to side.  Could be a loose bolt, bad wheel bearing, bad ball joint.  Check the tie rods too for no play. Check the steering stem nut, excessive turning play and up and down play.  Check the rear linkage to make surety hardware is tight.  Basically...shake everything in every direction it could possibly move to see if something is loose or wore out.

I know some of this sounds like  ...."well no shit..." but...sometimes we overlook things.  These are all the things I would do before cracking a case.  Once you crack the case...you better know how or have a deep pocket.  Every time I have heard someone paying to change a crank or transmission stuff on a bike, it's always over $2000.

Feel free to hit me up in DMs if you want.  I've built and worked on a lot of these bikes.  

1 hour ago, Desertdogs said:

protaper anti-vibe bars n mount

1 hour ago, Desertdogs said:

Well, it has this wicked vibration in mid range that comes up through the handle bars, makes my hands buzz, gets painful and have to shake my hands to clear it

Switch the bars and mount back to stock, see if it's still there........or if it gets worse and changes frequency.

If its engine, you will likely get the harmonica in neutral too.  Take that skid off and try again (this will probably vibrate in neutral too). Thats the most likely culprit (if its vibrating at such a high frequency its likely unsupported metal/plastic). If the harmonics of your crank were so bad your hands were going numb, your engine components would fail pretty quick. Check all appropriate exhaust pipe grommets are in place. If none of this stops it, put the swing arm on a jack stand and run the rear in 1st or 2nd at idle and check for  bent axle or wheel. Even “new”axles or wheels can be bent

Edited by sausage450r

I bet it's the pipe... change it and try again. I had a Yoshi pipe that did that on my 05 and I swapped it to a Sparks and problem solved. I also run a Tag "railer" plastic skid, Roll/Elka suspension and FASST bars.