Sign in to follow this  
r3meyer

Upgrading Trailer Axles on Enclosed Trailer

Long story short I bought an 24' enclosed interstate trailer.  What I did not realize until I got home was that the axles are 3500lbs. The trailer tag says I have an available capacity of 2700lbs.  I called the factory and gave them the vin and model number.  They also could not understand how it came with 3500lb axles because they said their basic 24 comes with 5200's,  but at some point in 2006 this one did. 

So now am I trying to decided if I will have the available capacity for a full size sand car, fuel and the supporting items.  Should I just send it, or figure out how to get it upgraded to tandem 5200's.  My tires are E rated and good to 11,200.  I bought the trailer for a great price so if its cost to upgrade is not horrible I am leaning that direction.  The axles are torsion so I am sure an upgrade is not going to be cheap.

I understand I will need new 6 lug rims.  (buddy said he has some).  Same size rim and tires I have now will transfer.

Sell and find another trailer?

If it were me I would run it the way it assuming the tires can carry the load, then if you have any axle issues replace  them at that time. 

The tires to me would be the biggest concern.

I suspect the axles can take a  little more than the rating for a period of time. 

jmho. Tim 

I have a 22' with 3500 lb axles. It's got super minimal cabinetry up front and I haul a trx90, yfz450, and 2400lb buggy. Both axles are bowed the wrong way from exceeding weight. 

Broken wheel rv in Santa Ana gave me a quote of 1000 bucks even to swap to 5200lb. 

I ran it all last season with no issues although it only goes from dunes edge to gecko. 

20 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

Long story short I bought an 24' enclosed interstate trailer.  What I did not realize until I got home was that the axles are 3500lbs. The trailer tag says I have an available capacity of 2700lbs.  I called the factory and gave them the vin and model number.  They also could not understand how it came with 3500lb axles because they said their basic 24 comes with 5200's,  but at some point in 2006 this one did. 

So now am I trying to decided if I will have the available capacity for a full size sand car, fuel and the supporting items.  Should I just send it, or figure out how to get it upgraded to tandem 5200's.  My tires are E rated and good to 11,200.  I bought the trailer for a great price so if its cost to upgrade is not horrible I am leaning that direction.  The axles are torsion so I am sure an upgrade is not going to be cheap.

I understand I will need new 6 lug rims.  (buddy said he has some).  Same size rim and tires I have now will transfer.

Sell and find another trailer?

What's going in it? 24' worth of toys probably weighs more than 2700lbs, so this will become a problem  quickly.

8 minutes ago, cwarkenton said:

I have a 22' with 3500 lb axles. It's got super minimal cabinetry up front and I haul a trx90, yfz450, and 2400lb buggy. Both axles are bowed the wrong way from exceeding weight. 

Broken wheel rv in Santa Ana gave me a quote of 1000 bucks even to swap to 5200lb. 

I ran it all last season with no issues although it only goes from dunes edge to gecko. 

Damn, that's cheap.  Can barely buy the axles (assuming brakes on both) for that.

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

What's going in it? 24' worth of toys probably weighs more than 2700lbs, so this will become a problem  quickly.

Damn, that's cheap.  Can barely buy the axles (assuming brakes on both) for that.

My Monster Limo Cruiser and at minimum 55 gallon drum of fuel.  I have to think that alone is pushing 3k.  Probably couple hundred lbs of totes with parts.  Inverter Generator and some times a Polaris 50.  I tow back and forth from PHX to Dunes.

3 hours ago, cwarkenton said:

Torsion axles are like 700-1000 just in parts each.  That does not include install.  Basic spring axles are cheap.  You also need new rims and brake drums when going from 5 lug to 6 lug.

5 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

My Monster Limo Cruiser and at minimum 55 gallon drum of fuel.  I have to think that alone is pushing 3k.  Probably couple hundred lbs of totes with parts.  Inverter Generator and some times a Polaris 50.  I tow back and forth from PHX to Dunes.

I'd definitely upgrade.  Swapping out tires sucks.  Swapping out wheel bearings and burnt spindles blows goats.

3 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

Torsion axles are like 700-1000 just in parts each.  That does not include install.  Basic spring axles are cheap.  You also need new rims and brake drums when going from 5 lug to 6 lug.

Are they welded on?  This could definitely get pricey.  Hell, might be cheaper to just add another 3500lb axle... :bigrin 

I had same set up on a 22 foot and went through 3 hubs until I sold and bought a bigger trailer with bigger axles. 

Upgrade or sell

why not upgrade to 6k or 7200lb axles...do it once...

three 3500 lb axles same issues wheel bearings and axles break all the time, Keep telling my boss to just buy a trailer with 3 5200 pound axles and be done with it. the spindle snout Bends at the end of the axle and it starts wearing tires when they decide to let go. you can see these all broke where the grease fitting was for the bearing Buddy make sure you don't buy these type of axles that are drilled.

IMG_20190110_090422152.jpg

IMG_20190110_091010319.jpg

IMG_20190107_064948837.jpg

Mels Welding did mine 10 years ago / Its been great...I sold the axels off mine (torsion type) and had them put the 5200 lb on it / it raised it up a bit. Its MUCH better ! Its a 24 ft carson racer

:poule:

D354E52E-50A1-4B8E-AA20-4CB7B2370C5F.jpeg

8336736C-FFF2-40C7-8A2B-4972E447EEDF.jpeg

Edited by POULE43

1 hour ago, POULE43 said:

Mels Welding did mine 10 years ago / Its been great...I sold the axels off mine (torsion type) and had them put the 5200 lb on it / it raised it up a bit. Its MUCH better ! Its a 24 ft carson racer

So you switched over to spring then.  I was actually ok it being raised up.  I can get a complete set of 5200 with everything I need to make it work shipped for $1125 with dexter axles.  That being said I think I can sell this trailer and just find one ready go for about what it would cost to do the upgrade.  Seems like a better idea to just punt and then look for the right one.  Lesson learned.

On 9/18/2019 at 4:51 PM, POULE43 said:

I did the same. 

The 3500s just don’t hold up. 

Selling is fun!!!!!

On 9/18/2019 at 6:00 PM, r3meyer said:

So you switched over to spring then.  I was actually ok it being raised up.  I can get a complete set of 5200 with everything I need to make it work shipped for $1125 with dexter axles.  That being said I think I can sell this trailer and just find one ready go for about what it would cost to do the upgrade.  Seems like a better idea to just punt and then look for the right one.  Lesson learned.

But then you would have BRAND NEW AXLES AND BRAKES! You do not know how abused the axles and brakes are on a used trailer. My guys abuse the crap out of them.

I would take new axles and brakes over used any day. 

You would be able to sell the rolling axles on Craigslist for a couple hundys also.

Edited by ahipara 55

51 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

But then you would have BRAND NEW AXLES AND BRAKES! You do not know how abused the axles and brakes are on a used trailer. My guys abuse the crap out of them.

I would take new axles and brakes over used any day. 

You would be able to sell the rolling axles on Craigslist for a couple hundys also.

I sold the old trailer for a large profit.  Picked up a hallmark race trailer with a generator bay and 4k gen (which I removed and sold) , winch, work bench, 2 spare tires, large pit pal on the side door, battery with solar, extended tongue for turning sharp with DP, driver side entry door, and 5200lb TORSION axels from the original owner who had it built.  Also 1" wider opening in the back.  Old timer who was getting out of track racing.  Total out of pocket cost for the upgrade was $200.  

Selling was the right move.

IMG_1020.jpg

All good. 

Nice, thanks for the update. You did right by switching trailers, and not upgrading a frame that may have not held up to the additional capacity added by upgrading axles.