John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Why do we sell our buggies.............................? or is the perfect buggy out there?

I love this thread and love reading everyones stories...I have so many cars over the years from VW cars to turbo subie to V6 to V8 and the Funco was By far my favorite...I enjoyed the most making them my own..not everyone would agree on the style or power or handling but it is what I wanted them to be and that feeling of going thru the dunes when it was the way you wanted it to be was like no other..I currently have a SXS and I will NOT compare it too any of my buggies because its NOT the same world but some things have changed in my life and I cant go too the sand as much as I use too..With that Being said I am still chasing that dragon of strapping into a Buggy again and flying thru the dunes because for me its the best feeling in the world..

On 9/20/2019 at 6:53 PM, justdirt said:

I started with a gen 3 funco switched to a BFD went back to a gen 4 funco the to a scu pro bro the to another scu now things are getting fishy back to a gen 4 

444541FA-DAA7-44AB-82FE-EE5493E8B676.jpeg

DA69A86E-8FE3-46EF-B7F8-8CA119984F7B.jpeg

Did you just buy the Nemo car? That thing is famous. 

1 hour ago, DZRTRUN said:

I have owned just about every brand at this point. At one point I had a big block racer and I loved it. It was perfect in my mind until it started breaking all the time. We then sold the car to someone who put a NA LS motor in it and they had no problems with it. Go figure.... Anyways, I went through 5 or 6 cars after that, sometimes 2 a year.  We were going to build a Tatum Aero and I was sitting on YouTube watching the Funco boys whip around their new gen 6 cars and thought I should probably drive one. I contacted Grant while we were at Glamis and sure enough he showed up at our camp at 7 am and said you and your wife need helmets before we go. We went on the ride and got out saying WTF how did we not crash and that was incredible. It was over at that point and we will never own anything else but a funco in the dunes. 

PICTURES MAN, PICTURES!!!!!

Sold my mid-engine Turn Key LS 1 and bought a mid-engine turbo Subaru Tech 3 which I find is more challenging  and fun to drive.  My wife bought me a present for my 80th  birthday ;  a FUNCO Gen 4 C&G   LS 2  which I will drive for the first time in October.   Will the FUNCO become my new favorite ?

1 hour ago, DZRTRUN said:

I have owned just about every brand at this point. At one point I had a big block racer and I loved it. It was perfect in my mind until it started breaking all the time. We then sold the car to someone who put a NA LS motor in it and they had no problems with it. Go figure.... Anyways, I went through 5 or 6 cars after that, sometimes 2 a year.  We were going to build a Tatum Aero and I was sitting on YouTube watching the Funco boys whip around their new gen 6 cars and thought I should probably drive one. I contacted Grant while we were at Glamis and sure enough he showed up at our camp at 7 am and said you and your wife need helmets before we go. We went on the ride and got out saying WTF how did we not crash and that was incredible. It was over at that point and we will never own anything else but a funco in the dunes. 

But have you had an Alumicraft ....... 

16 hours ago, 1tonfun said:

Started with a beam car with an old buick 215 v8 for power. Everyone we went to the dunes with were all in beam cars and started moving into long travel cars around 02 or 03. Had my first ride in a Tatum Black Widow around 04 and was hooked on the power and suspension and it was game on to find a long travel car. Looked at a lot of builders and went to the sand show in 05 with a wad of cash ready to pull the trigger. Was told by the builder (that is now out of business) that they weren't set up to sell a car at the show and would have to come to their shop to place an order. Work was busy and taking the time to go back to CA to order the car never happened. I had a Sand Trix F5 deal fall into my lap. The customer that ordered the car decided to go a different direction so I took over the build. I had Sand Trix change a couple of things then I took the roller home and started to assemble it. Started with an LS1 and 2d and it hit the sand in 2006. I have upgraded to the trans to an S4 and the motor is getting tired so I'm thinking it's time to freshen it up. I never took the car apart to have it powder coated. I love the car, it does everything I want it to do and has been so damned dependable it isn't even funny.  In the next year or so I am going in a different direction. My kids are all grown and I rarely have them as passengers anymore since they all have their own toys. Since I have a 4 seater, people think I am the camp taxi and want me to cart around friends of friends, kids etc. and I don't like the liability of taking people with me I don't even know. My short list is down to a Alumicraft or Tatum Class 10 race car set up for the dunes with LS power and sequential. If the stars align I should be placing an order in December for the chassis and the build will begin.

F5.JPG

I’d turn the back seats into an ice chest and stereo. Problem solved lol. 

I think people sell their buggies for 2 reasons, they may be done with breakage and maintenance, or they may be chasing something bigger, better, faster. It seems that those who sell their buggies and buy a SxS  enp up dumping lots of money into the SxS to make it more like their big buggy (you guys do this don't deny it).  Those that sell and buy something bigger, better or faster might have  been influenced by peer pressure and the need to keep up with the Joneses (not an attack on anyone just a theory, we all do it).

My buggy has been a work in progress for about 5 years now with some upgrades every summer on an as needed basis. Every time we make an upgrade it exposes the next weakest link and that has been the driving force behind it all. The end game for me is powder coat but I'm not 100% ready just yet. This summer out of necessity we did new spindles with hollows and new upper arms plus bigger front tires. Next summer we have a new 1 3/4" frame planned with an emphasis on occupant safety in the event of a rollover. I kept my V8 HP very conservative to help prolong the life of the drivetrain and I can honestly say I do not need/want any more power. I've got more than a few bucks wrapped up in it now and have no plans in the foreseeable future to sell it. But to throw a number out there today...I'd part with it for 45k.

The list of things to do keeps growing, mama wants to either reupholster or replace the seats, and the sheet metal needs to be refined a little and finished, it needs a fuel cell and then there's that new 1 3/4" frame I mentioned. When we do the new frame we're gonna shorten the 135" wheelbase a little, lower the engine/trans down a few more inches to get some more down travel and we're gonna raise the front shock mounts a few inches to move the front wheel travel upwards where it is more useful. I'm most excited about removing the light bar from the roof, I hate it, it needs a curved one mounted flush with the roof. Fortunately I'm in good with my metal guy. 

6FB00B1C-8F9E-4F93-8A40-BB71D6CADB10.jpeg

8C77AA68-FC47-48D1-99F4-A774FE0F7FD2.jpeg

B6D65D3F-A426-4EEC-B760-1C0A71A8FE39.jpeg

8C642420-18A1-4927-A23A-92AEC398E8D7.jpeg

Edited by fortyfour

I had a 64 Baja barely street legal, went to the ssss in 06 and  fell in love with the 4 seat chenowth explorer chassis.  they said they could make any adjustments I wanted to the chassis for an extra cost of course. placed an order the following Monday in person and was anxious to start stripping down my baja and swapping everything over to the new chassis.

Finally had a roller in about 2008, buying one part a paycheck. Took the car on its maiden voyage in 2009 and have been enjoying it ever since. We started with a naturally aspirated pinto motor and no panels or body, then swapped a built esslinger turbo motor,and eventually to a 3.2 Honda.  Windshield and full body, kept changing everything else from there. Beam to a arm was the best upgrade so far, but I've only been able to enjoy the new front end testing one day in the dunes. knowing every nut and bolt size on the car and wiring and plumbing everything yourself really helps you understand that I wouldn't sell my car for less than 35000. Would love a wider cockpit chassis and a V8 someday, but my  buggy is bought and paid for, and we just enjoy it whenever  we have a chance as a family. Pictures are all out of order but the very last one is the latest version of front bumper.

IMG_20181229_154436277_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181229_114835797_HDR.jpg

15691885970572970822559556315097.jpg

15691886773218328864381853932644.jpg

IMG_20171122_163134115_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190920_165454911_HDR.jpg

7 hours ago, B0NES said:

Did you just buy the Nemo car? That thing is famous. 

I did purchased about a month ago super clean car owners was a great guy as well

I’ve had bfd, scu, racer now full potential. I was the guy that put the NA LS7 in DZRTRUNs racer. That was a sweet car I coulda kept forever. I think you buy and sell looking for the perfect car. When I seen a FP car come up I had to cash out and try it. I wanted a half prerunner half sand car. The FP wasn’t perfect I went from big block 496 to LSX454, replaced everything in the car but the trany, redid shocks two times and went bigger. Now it is my perfect car and I don’t even look at the buggies for sale section anymore! So true happiness exits. But then I just spent an insane amount on my new truck and trailer over Last year so your attention just redirects to another part of your life lol, never ends. Always jealous of coworkers who have so much saved in the bank with no hobbies. Then I realize that’s not the life for me!! Live good, have fun, no regrets 

Haha I think about how much money we could have saved/invested at this point in our lives if we had not found it necessary to have so many high dollar toys, but life is so short and you never know when your time will be up so I say live life to it's fullest while you are still able to. 

18 hours ago, Jetjock15 said:

Now it is my perfect car

I will say, you have probably one of the most bad ass cars. I’ve watched that Halloween trip videos too many times to count. 

I would just hate to get it stuck or breakdown with being a 4000 lb plus car. Let’s see some pictures of that beast!!!

I have sold cars for a couple of different reasons:

Financial and to upgrade.

In 1998, my wife (had a one year old) said she isn't sitting cap all day while I am out riding my banshee.  So sold Banshee and bought a Johnys Speed and Chrome 2+2 Mid engine with a 1835cc VW motor in it.  The picture is after I had wizard fab redo the entire roof because it was cracking every trip (sold it right after this) Car was a blast.  Drove that car for maybe 4-5 years and then upgraded to a 2001 Funco Gen 3 with a 2.2 Subie, Bus box, loved that car.  Drove that for a couple of years and then bought a 2004 Funco Gen built 2.5 subie, 2d.  

Then fast forward, that little kid the was 1 yr old in 1998 started college, I was a bit stressed on money and decided to sell, I was kind half hearted on selling it as well.  But listed it on Sunday morning, it was sold that night through a friend.  For two years I would go to the dunes but was back on two wheels (47 yrs old).  I would run into the guy that bought my last car and all he would tell me is how great and fun the car is...……..

So went two years, finances were ore stable and I bought a 2007 Funco Gen 4, 3.5 honda turbo, 2d.  I can't even imagine owning another brand, truly a family.

buggy 1.jpg

buggy 5.jpg

buggy5.jpg

I started like most...on dirt bike when i was a kid. Bought one of the first Odyssey's to come out in 1978...I think. Rode the wheels off that until 1984 a bought a Kawasaki Tecate 3 wheeler. Moved up to Quads when the kids got older and 06 bought a Polaris Ranger and duned the snot of that! My family started buying Extreme Performance cars but i waited a few years to get my dune driving skills a little better. I watched what they did with their cars...all Platinum's and high HP and the problems that went with that. I decided in 2008 to have Extreme build me one but not like the others. I wanted something lite, comfortable, good horse power and would stand out from the crowd...I am a bit of an attention ho!! :) That being said I decided an ECO2 with an LS2, no turbos and 550 HP was the ticket. I also went with S4 sequential trans for more trans that motor since that seemed to be most of the problems with the bigger more expensive cars. I could care less about the drags or wheelies I just wanted a car that would dune and start every time! I think I hit the nail on the head with this car! 11 years and the motor and trans have never been out of the car! I still love the paint job and i just can't imagine selling this car!!          

2018-07-12-115250-27.jpg

20180702_181157.jpg

20180704_120715.jpg

20180712_175522.jpg

The carr I fee truly does it all. Big car feel but short wheel base with really good weight transfer. Dunes like crazy and absorbs the big stuff

476BD921-5C5B-41D0-8CD9-8393124FECE6.jpeg

Im one of the oddballs that gets a little too attached to these 4 wheeled mistresses.... Bought and drove it as originally built by SU (Red) for a season then went through and freshened a lot of the important components up. Next season got it wrapped and drove it like that for two years with no problems outside of breaking a combo spindle and a throwout bearing. Last summer did a complete tear down, repowder, new tin work, complete freshen up of almost all parts, added a couple little goodies, and had the best season ever! 

I find it very comforting knowing every square inch of my car and love that I can put the family in there without worry. See you in the sand fellas!

Right after I bought the car (just had our second daughter):

IMG_7635.thumb.jpg.0dc350687fc783e9e47e97af451c048b.jpg

Silver was the first wrap how the car spent two seasons.

IMG_5658.thumb.jpg.fee62044b14856601fd401ba4d443586.jpgIMG_5659.thumb.jpg.e8692ded54213d4911298764bedc8ecb.jpg

Here she is as can be seen al this season ripping around the big bowls, at the swing set, at the flagpole, maybe just perched on a random razor back watching the rest of the world enjoy the sand box :-). 

IMG_5514.thumb.jpg.fbe944551e8c9a04ef9d5fabd71545cd.jpg

1 hour ago, emill27 said:

Im one of the oddballs that gets a little too attached to these 4 wheeled mistresses.... Bought and drove it as originally built by SU (Red) for a season then went through and freshened a lot of the important components up. Next season got it wrapped and drove it like that for two years with no problems outside of breaking a combo spindle and a throwout bearing. Last summer did a complete tear down, repowder, new tin work, complete freshen up of almost all parts, added a couple little goodies, and had the best season ever! 

I find it very comforting knowing every square inch of my car and love that I can put the family in there without worry. See you in the sand fellas!

IMG_5658.thumb.jpg.fee62044b14856601fd401ba4d443586.jpgIMG_5659.thumb.jpg.e8692ded54213d4911298764bedc8ecb.jpg

Here she is as can be seen al this season ripping around the big bowls, at the swing set, at the flagpole, maybe just perched on a random razor back watching the rest of the world enjoy the sand box :-). 

Is this final version a wrap or did you have the graphics painted?

On 9/22/2019 at 9:02 AM, hondajimz said:

But have you had an Alumicraft ....... 

Nope, but we have had a few in the group over the years. If I lived in AZ, did ocotillo or Mexico we would have one for sure. They are my favorite dual sport car right now. 

My car I originally built in 2011. It does everything I want. It is pretty fast down the drags. It dunes amazing, turns on a dime, slides, no cutters. It soaks up the big whoops. Plus its street legal and I can beat it up in the desert. I always think I want something bigger and fancier but I always have a smile when I drive it and it still makes me shake if I push it. 

1519790809_20180114_170709(1).thumb.jpg.51ec88957930f391a73c870651dae86d.jpg20180204_145535_(2.thumb.jpg.389d74c7a25111c82513bf5667924343.jpg

@1tonfun the final version of my car is a wrap done by Wolf Designs.

Great topic John  I my self love building them seem like I always have new ideas for the next one ....kinda of addicting same with stackers I've had 5 of those in 5 years build sell build same with cars ...trailers I'm done I think I have the best of the best ...cars I'm finishing up my 4th 2 seater in 3 years should be pretty nice ....I think it will be a keeper ...now I'm trying to get a 5 seater for the family just cant decided .....I've had 7 cars in 4 years lol....alumicraft, racers Tatum's may do a 5 seater with Grant at Funco we've talked alot just basic ...albins with a 425ci 4.0 motor at 15 psi 

Edited by Supreme Air

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:42 PM, Fireman said:

Well I love my car,  it is a 2004 AG Sand car 2.5 Subie with a 2D.   It dunes well and it is nice and light, 1850#.   If I was going to go out and buy a new car it would be a newer 2 seat Funco. 

IMG_6356.jpeg

that's an awesome pic, all tires off the ground, nice roost.  Id have that one hanging on the wall!

I still went back and looked again.............virgin sand underneath, unrehearsed pic, chic holding on having a blast, spectacular backround,    its like the perfect moment in time. That pic represents how I feel when i'm  duning too!

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

4 hours ago, Supreme Air said:

Great topic John  I my self love building them seem like I always have new ideas for the next one ....kinda of addicting same with stackers I've had 5 of those in 5 years build sell build same with cars ...trailers I'm done I think I have the best of the best ...cars I'm finishing up my 4th 2 seater in 3 years should be pretty nice ....I think it will be a keeper ...now I'm trying to get a 5 seater for the family just cant decided .....I've had 7 cars in 4 years lol....alumicraft, racers Tatum's may do a 5 seater with Grant at Funco we've talked alot just basic ...albins with a 425ci 4.0 motor at 15 psi 

Aaron of all people, you are having fun, and loving every moment.  When you sell yours cars do you win, lose or break even?

12 hours ago, emill27 said:

I don't ever use the word "adorable" , but that first pic is awesome.  Maybe its cause I just had my 9th Grand daughter "Jane"

Can we see a  do over with the same girl, same angle,  same location,  by reading your posts she must be 4-8 years old? or more

8 hours ago, Hondo said:

My car I originally built in 2011. It does everything I want. It is pretty fast down the drags. It dunes amazing, turns on a dime, slides, no cutters. It soaks up the big whoops. Plus its street legal and I can beat it up in the desert. I always think I want something bigger and fancier but I always have a smile when I drive it and it still makes me shake if I push it. 

1519790809_20180114_170709(1).thumb.jpg.51ec88957930f391a73c870651dae86d.jpg20180204_145535_(2.thumb.jpg.389d74c7a25111c82513bf5667924343.jpg

car has a great look,  awesome to have so much power that you have some on reserve. "pinch me" is this for real!