John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Why do we sell our buggies.............................? or is the perfect buggy out there?

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:01 AM, fortyfour said:

I think people sell their buggies for 2 reasons, they may be done with breakage and maintenance, or they may be chasing something bigger, better, faster. It seems that those who sell their buggies and buy a SxS  enp up dumping lots of money into the SxS to make it more like their big buggy (you guys do this don't deny it).  Those that sell and buy something bigger, better or faster might have  been influenced by peer pressure and the need to keep up with the Joneses (not an attack on anyone just a theory, we all do it).

My buggy has been a work in progress for about 5 years now with some upgrades every summer on an as needed basis. Every time we make an upgrade it exposes the next weakest link and that has been the driving force behind it all. The end game for me is powder coat but I'm not 100% ready just yet. This summer out of necessity we did new spindles with hollows and new upper arms plus bigger front tires. Next summer we have a new 1 3/4" frame planned with an emphasis on occupant safety in the event of a rollover. I kept my V8 HP very conservative to help prolong the life of the drivetrain and I can honestly say I do not need/want any more power. I've got more than a few bucks wrapped up in it now and have no plans in the foreseeable future to sell it. But to throw a number out there today...I'd part with it for 45k.

The list of things to do keeps growing, mama wants to either reupholster or replace the seats, and the sheet metal needs to be refined a little and finished, it needs a fuel cell and then there's that new 1 3/4" frame I mentioned. When we do the new frame we're gonna shorten the 135" wheelbase a little, lower the engine/trans down a few more inches to get some more down travel and we're gonna raise the front shock mounts a few inches to move the front wheel travel upwards where it is more useful. I'm most excited about removing the light bar from the roof, I hate it, it needs a curved one mounted flush with the roof. Fortunately I'm in good with my metal guy. 

6FB00B1C-8F9E-4F93-8A40-BB71D6CADB10.jpeg

8C77AA68-FC47-48D1-99F4-A774FE0F7FD2.jpeg

B6D65D3F-A426-4EEC-B760-1C0A71A8FE39.jpeg

8C642420-18A1-4927-A23A-92AEC398E8D7.jpeg

First off those hollow front spindles are awesome, what a piece of art!  I forget that some of you have multiple decision makers.  Nice that mama's involved and that the car is a family toy! 

Good or bad, my wife likes the dunes for the family, we have grown up out there with all the kids (what memories)  but my wife doesn't care what I do with my buggy, what color, how fast or how much I spend on it etc.... We call it a business expense :rotf:, in the ledger as advertising.  My car is a product of pure performance with unlimited budget.   She rarely gets into my buggy, maybe for a sunset cruise or a ride to the canal or duners diner.  Her disinterest with my buggy has fueled my rage and pure adrenaline in the dunes as my car is built just for me,   it literally is an extension of my body.  At times I feel like it enhances me (think the movie Avatar)

carry on with the stories, they are intriguing and "who knew" right?

2 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Aaron of all people, you are having fun, and loving every moment.  When you sell yours cars do you win, lose or break even?

I've been very fortunate I've been making money but sometine you have to take a trade then resell it so it's a waiting game ....

Edited by Supreme Air

I've been thinking about this alot lately. I started at 1 year old in my dads lap on a trizinger and have owned or ridden just about everything in between that and the $100k buggies since. From the first time I saw an LS buggy in the early 2000s I said out loud "i'll own one of those one day" and this last summer/season was able to achieve that by building my DD with my dad. He has built a few buggies with his dad and brothers back in the late 70s early 80s, one of which still makes an appearance once in a blue moon. He hung the buggies up and went to 3 wheelers in the late 80s. When my dad and I were only on quads and 3 wheelers we had an absolute BLAST, but I felt the need to step up and never wanted to go SxS. So I started the search for a buggy and my dad was still convinced he would stay on the 3 wheeler, but he ended coming across @Lambro's Sand Limo Squirt in his searches helping me find a car,  he absolutely loved it so he pulled the trigger on that before I bought a car. Ended up being in my favor because I got to drive it all season without having to pay for it! The season after I bought a 4 seat car with a 3.2 and 091. That car was a huge learning curve for me. Since the Squirt was such a reliable car we never really had to wrench on it much, but this car needed a good bit of work, so I learned a ton. It was always my plan to have a 4 seat car so I could bring friends and introduce them to my passion and hope they would fall in love with it as much as I have, but the 3.2/091 full of friends didn't get the job done. 5 years of later I found out I have a bunch of free loading buddies who just show up to ride with me and don't want to buy anything themselves hahah. Last summer my dad and I took on the project of building a DD/LS1/2D car from frame up and it was a huuuugeee project but very very fruitful and last season was one of the best I've ever had even though it came with it's fair share of headaches. But even though I now own my dream car, I look at the simplicity, duneablility, cost effectiveness, and cleanliness of my dads car and think damn, that car is still one of the most fun cars I have ever driven. I've thought about maybe doing a downgrade and building something smaller, maybe a 2 seat funco that's simple and a pure duner. I know one day i'll have a really bitchin "big car" but at the moment I have way too much money tied up in toys. Maybe i'll just go all the way back to just a trizinger.... In the meantime I own my dream car.  And my dad is convinced his limo will never be for sale.

941942590_IMG_98102.thumb.JPG.475ae10e18869e6f7e2ddf23b1529cd2.JPG

839999552_IMG_81452.thumb.jpg.7917d3d3acf5be421631f447a93d89ee.jpg

554533140_IMG_97092.thumb.JPG.91d8adf62e8f79a5f26f0c4c3aed9a36.JPG

IMG_6882.thumb.JPG.c099f3027746a4bf85b67bddd562a4cc.JPG

1142795255_IMG_77272.thumb.jpg.9de71b9cb1ab53acf55c5ddd8fb0c7ad.jpg

856215454_IMG_80022.thumb.jpg.9a0d0eced499e90bfe705b3ba7866aa0.jpg

274603703_IMG_80112.thumb.jpg.f532178c6b79f7cf64c7a33756d6970a.jpg

18 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I don't ever use the word "adorable" , but that first pic is awesome.  Maybe its cause I just had my 9th Grand daughter "Jane"

Can we see a  do over with the same girl, same angle,  same location,  by reading your posts she must be 4-8 years old? or more

That’s a really cool idea John, never thought of doing that! She is going to be 4 in a month so I’ll see what I can work up 🤘🏼.

On 9/23/2019 at 4:16 PM, emill27 said:

Im one of the oddballs that gets a little too attached to these 4 wheeled mistresses.... Bought and drove it as originally built by SU (Red) for a season then went through and freshened a lot of the important components up. Next season got it wrapped and drove it like that for two years with no problems outside of breaking a combo spindle and a throwout bearing. Last summer did a complete tear down, repowder, new tin work, complete freshen up of almost all parts, added a couple little goodies, and had the best season ever! 

I find it very comforting knowing every square inch of my car and love that I can put the family in there without worry. See you in the sand fellas!

Right after I bought the car (just had our second daughter):

IMG_7635.thumb.jpg.0dc350687fc783e9e47e97af451c048b.jpg

Silver was the first wrap how the car spent two seasons.

IMG_5658.thumb.jpg.fee62044b14856601fd401ba4d443586.jpgIMG_5659.thumb.jpg.e8692ded54213d4911298764bedc8ecb.jpg

Here she is as can be seen al this season ripping around the big bowls, at the swing set, at the flagpole, maybe just perched on a random razor back watching the rest of the world enjoy the sand box :-). 

IMG_5514.thumb.jpg.fbe944551e8c9a04ef9d5fabd71545cd.jpg

The final version of your car is just plain bad ass! That is the look I'm shooting for when it comes time to put some color on mine. What's your wheelbase?

15 hours ago, fortyfour said:

The final version of your car is just plain bad ass! That is the look I'm shooting for when it comes time to put some color on mine. What's your wheelbase?

Thank you! Im not sure on wheelbase honestly. I will measure and shoot you a message when I can get back to it. 

On 9/21/2019 at 9:42 AM, Mac said:

Didn't I see this just go for sale today?  :lol:

If not, there is one identical to it on Facebook for sale.

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 9.42.54 AM.png

Nope not my car..

On 9/22/2019 at 7:06 AM, DZRTRUN said:

I contacted Grant while we were at Glamis and sure enough he showed up at our camp at 7 am and said you and your wife need helmets before we go. We went on the ride and got out saying WTF how did we not crash and that was incredible. It was over at that point and we will never own anything else but a funco in the dunes. 

I remember that day!  Woke up to the sound of a buggy circling our camp at effng 7 am.  WTH?  We don't ride till 10am!  Then it parked in between our RV's.  I opened my door to see @GRANT@FUNCO sitting in his car asking me if I knew where you were.  

20161231_091533.jpg

20161231_091542.jpg

You two came back with ear to ear smiles the rest of the trip.

I have always built my own cars and enjoy the process as much as driving them, it also helps that I work in the off-road parts industry and that has help subsidized my habit.

My boys have grown up building stuff with me and that is one reason that I look forward to a new car project and I think building has helped them find direction.

Not sure when I will build the next one but the GTX in pic #4 is for sale.

The Funco family are some of the best people in this industry.   Fun to drive----fun to build.    SS2 <-> GTX

BIG5.JPG

Gen 4 - 01_edited.jpg

P1010042.JPG

GTX FL.jpg

8 hours ago, gen5honda said:

I have always built my own cars and enjoy the process as much as driving them, it also helps that I work in the off-road parts industry and that has help subsidized my habit.

My boys have grown up building stuff with me and that is one reason that I look forward to a new car project and I think building has helped them find direction.

The Funco family are some of the best people in this industry.   Fun to drive----fun to build.    SS2 <-> GTX

BIG5.JPG

Gen 4 - 01_edited.jpg

P1010042.JPG

GTX FL.jpg

That is beautiful. GLWTS.

Some of us need to finance the next build :) I really like building! Every car has been different. So far I've yet t build a traditional transaxle car. 

Finally next car we are STAYING with the current drive train. I've built a decent sized business AROUND constructing tube chassis vehicles so I feel its a smart business expense  to keep building new cars. 

But when you have a 7x7x20ft powdercoating operation (inc 300lb blasting setup), a fleet of CNC tube cutters/benders, Big plas table, 160ton x 12ft press brake, dual over head crane 60x40 shop, a Turbo Wastegate business, your own CNC machine shop w/ a 20x40 CNC mill just for small jobs and R/D, a 2 lift autoshop with an MD1100 Dyno plus an 8ft Faro 3D measuring arm... building is what you do.

Holy cow I need tool horders ANON.

Just now on the verge of car #5 I've finally getting my support fleet (toy hauler and box trailer, I have too much crap and no $ for a Moho and stacker) in line for a big dunes trip.

IMG_20190919_071939_821.thumb.jpg.1fcf5fdb019d0c6177268a2ae3df290f.jpgIMG_20190815_204245_444.thumb.jpg.e9afd4d13c391cb587c7b69418a81e27.jpgHandful4S001.thumb.jpg.f4dd18e8484e516646e5787b34d77dd5.jpg

Buggy pics for fun.

Edited by JGSturbo

9 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

I remember that day!  Woke up to the sound of a buggy circling our camp at effng 7 am.  WTH?  We don't ride till 10am!  Then it parked in between our RV's.  I opened my door to see @GRANT@FUNCO sitting in his car asking me if I knew where you were.  

20161231_091533.jpg

20161231_091542.jpg

You two came back with ear to ear smiles the rest of the trip.

Haha, I figured someone had evidence. You even got the illusive another1sl in there before he became a quitter. 

8 hours ago, gen5honda said:

BIG5.JPG

Gen 4 - 01_edited.jpg

P1010042.JPG

GTX FL.jpg

That GTX is beautiful.  did you list it for sale yet?

This is a great thread. @hondajimz is my biggest instigator of sand rails for me. He does the "Tony call me there is a car for sale you need to buy". I started with breaking his sand cars to buying my king car which was a rocket ship, to my gen 3 funco, S&S Ls car , and BFD REVO and now I back to a sand flea. I love the short wheel base and small nimble driving but the power and ease ability of a ls car was awesome plus power wheelies the S&S car did was ear to ear smiles.  One of my biggest issues was worrying when is it gonna break..

My goal or dream was @Air Boom Ron's G42 he had built or any funco that he has done or a Gen 5 or 6 Funco. But I have fell in love with the BFD SS car.  I think in the next year or 2 I will be placing a order for a new Funco or BFD, hence is business is still booming and my kids can get over the loud exhaust noice.

I look at it from a different perspective.  When I was young, I was taught the value of a dollar.  I was taught to work hard, and things will happen.  My family went to the desert when I was about 6 or 7 years old.  I begged my parents for a motorcycle and was told to earn it. I did chores, I mowed lawns , I swept up shop floors and cleaned bathrooms to earn money to get the things I wanted.  I always approached my wants like stepping stones , even like goals.  Once I achieved the goal,  I was looking for the next goal.  I applied this to my toy obsession as well.  Each toy had to better the next, or at least make enough return to pay a good chunk of the next.  I never got attached emotionally, it was a tool to get the next better thing.  To date,  I have owned 47 long travel sand cars.  I have driven close to 100 different types of offroad vehicles.  All are fun, in there own way, and all scratch a certain itch I might have had at the time.  Of coarse I look for good deals, to try not to loose money in the quest for the next toy.  I also really enjoy wrenching on my toys.  Its kind of therapeutic. I like coming up with new ideas for on and offroad car as well. (normally its a funding issue that stop them from happening)   I would love to build offroad cars for a living, but I tried in the past and unless you really have a good following,  its hard to make enough to live on.  The sxs are good because they allow more people to experience the desert and the fun it can bring.  I always seem to come back around to a good v8 sand car. Maybe its the sound or the handling, but there is nothing else like it for the average guy.    

2 hours ago, MGM/FRP said:

I look at it from a different perspective.  When I was young, I was taught the value of a dollar.  I was taught to work hard, and things will happen.  My family went to the desert when I was about 6 or 7 years old.  I begged my parents for a motorcycle and was told to earn it. I did chores, I mowed lawns , I swept up shop floors and cleaned bathrooms to earn money to get the things I wanted.  I always approached my wants like stepping stones , even like goals.  Once I achieved the goal,  I was looking for the next goal.  I applied this to my toy obsession as well.  Each toy had to better the next, or at least make enough return to pay a good chunk of the next.  I never got attached emotionally, it was a tool to get the next better thing.  To date,  I have owned 47 long travel sand cars.  I have driven close to 100 different types of offroad vehicles.  All are fun, in there own way, and all scratch a certain itch I might have had at the time.  Of coarse I look for good deals, to try not to loose money in the quest for the next toy.  I also really enjoy wrenching on my toys.  Its kind of therapeutic. I like coming up with new ideas for on and offroad car as well. (normally its a funding issue that stop them from happening)   I would love to build offroad cars for a living, but I tried in the past and unless you really have a good following,  its hard to make enough to live on.  The sxs are good because they allow more people to experience the desert and the fun it can bring.  I always seem to come back around to a good v8 sand car. Maybe its the sound or the handling, but there is nothing else like it for the average guy.    

Great post.

Spirit of the REAL off-road community right there. Earn your toys and grow the hobby in steps, reminds me of what you hear from many of the oldtimers....guys who been in this sport for last 40 years....guys like @BaBaBouy

HELOC Baller types are come and gone in a few seasons at best...just look at some folks that are no longer on GD, they can say life, etc....naw...they were just never "True".

2 hours ago, MGM/FRP said:

MGM/FRP, you hit it all right on the head. 

I can agree I'm on car number 4 with a s&s frame waiting to be built it's a true pleasure. I have had a swing axle 1615 vw up to a built ls2 car and I have enjoyed every one. As a kid I roled through Gordon's well and butter cup and said one day. Then after I got out of the marines bought a quad and have never looked back. I have stayed in my truck in a tent and even bought a 30 year old  trailer trailer just to grow my passion. Now its is a long travel ls and a 5th wheel I guess as we get a little older we need more supention and a comfy bed at night, lol.