HBDad

Big block 454 Sandrail Question and some help.

Hey Readers,

So I'm torn and not a mechanic, I have had some quotes to rebuild a motor but with no defined answers on limitations.

I have a 454 big block out of a 95 winnebago with 45K. It was my fathers who just let the motor home retire in his back yard let me pull the 454 out as well as the transmission as long as I tore down the motor home to get rid of it. Instead of letting the motor sit in a grave yard, I was thinking about putting it into a 2 or 4/5 person ( I have 3 kids and my wife to consider here) long travel or mid travel rail. I love wheelies and jumping and my kids love their MX 110's but they are not bold enough to jump distance yet but want to feel it's rush.

Is this a motor that can pull 1000HP  after modding/supercharge it and put 100/110 octane in it's veins? Or is something around 600 it's limits?

Thanks a million for time.
Brad

There are a million reasons to not use that motor in a sandrail. You would be light years ahead to sell it and buy a used LS for almost the same $.

17 minutes ago, 1newbie said:

There are a million reasons to not use that motor in a sandrail. You would be light years ahead to sell it and buy a used LS for almost the same $.

Agreed.  Unless you like going against the grain and want to be different, stick with an LS motor where someone else  has already solved all of the adaption problems.

Key on this will be the transmission/transaxle. the 454 generates an insane amount of torque at a very low RPM.    Using the 4L80E mated to it would handle the torque, but layout would be a challenge. Weight will also be an issue... This might be on the scale of a trophy truck.

The gen 6    454 is a good one. No doubt about that. But you really have to ask yourself why you want it. If it is to be unique, you will have it! If it is to save money (got the motor for "free"), well, no. This will cost you significantly more than the LS units, as others have pointed out.

Anything is possible with enough money ..... That big block is an iron work horse motor so you would be better to get an ls as others have stated. That motor probably weighs a minimum of 200 lbs more than an ls and you will have to stop and start that weight all the time. My $0.02

Boat anchor compared to the LS platform. Look up the weights. 

Since you love wheelies, I don’t see a problem putting a super heavy torque monster back there.  :bigrin 

I agree with selling the BB 454 and going ls. The engine is incredibly inefficient compared to any newer engine, and it weighs a ton, and I'm not sure there is an adapter made for it, sure it could be done, but the cost would outweigh going with a ls or newer Ford 5.0

Love the big blocks but in a sanrail id rather have a couple hundred pounds less hanging off the ass end of the car.Torque of an ls will be plenty on a buggy.Now if building some ful sized truck for off road now that454 and 4l80 is another story.

Don't do it ...lol

Yep love a big block but they are heavy. If it were aluminum you'd have something very valuable. Coming from a 1995 model year motorhome, the chassis was probably made in 1993 or 1994 which would make your engine a Gen 5. Still a good platform to build upon, it used a 1 piece rear main and 4 bolt main caps. 1000HP supercharged? Yes with a 14-71 roots blower and Brodix heads the marine guys do it all the time, and on pump gas!  :rtd: 

As has been suggested an LS would be a better choice.

Sold a perfect car to someone who blew the motor and instead of spending 4k to rebuild he put a 454 in there.  ruined the car.  I got it back and sold the next week.  wasnt even dunable anymore.  Please don't waste the money. put that in something else. anything else. 

19 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

Sold a perfect car to someone who blew the motor and instead of spending 4k to rebuild he put a 454 in there.  ruined the car.  I got it back and sold the next week.  wasnt even dunable anymore.  Please don't waste the money. put that in something else. anything else. 

I have the carb off that car if someone really wanted to try that again.