Conrad

Leaked Kawasaki sxs pics...

14 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

2 step on a belt drive?

It's pretty common.  Evo has even worked out a 2-step on the factory X3 computer.  I had a 2-step on my Z1 car (never used it).  The idea is you set it up with a lot of primary spring so the engagement is moved pretty high, then you set the 2-step under the engagement RPM so you're not "riding the belt" when you're on the 2-step.  I forget who, maybe K&T, but another shop also worked out a mechanical "lock out" that kept the primary from being able to engage, which was released when the 2-step is released.  It's still a ton of "shock" on the belt, but at least you're not super-heating it. 

-TJ

16 hours ago, kennerz said:

Obviously not the OTD price, but still yeah almost makes sense. My problem with the X3 is I've been following other can am forums and talk to builders and dealers who all say they need work$$$ to dial them in and correct design flaws and make them safe. To me I like stuff tuned.  Cage, shock re-spring and valve and appropriate bracing sounds like $10k off the bat. Let alone sand tires, engine tune, & lights.  Not must haves but to get the most out of it they "need" that stuff.

Can argue back and forth about that statement but. I'm the type that goes to the builder and says , "what are you seeing",  same with the dealers (not sales persons) but service managers and owners. If you ask in the right context they will tell you everything both good and bad. 

Just at this stage I would rather not feel compelled to mod right out of the gate. 

The Kawasaki looks like a just change the oil and air filter type of machine.

The information provided to you about the X3 is not accurate.  On the 72" wide model it would be wise to add a gusset to the lower a-arm to keep it from bending ($70.00, plus cost of welding it on).  Gusset kits for front end range from $100 - $300.   That is all that is needed.   The stock shocks for most people will be perfectly fine.  

The shocks are a want, not a need especially in the sand.   Stock cage does not need to be replaced.  I only replaced mine because I got a deal on a weld it yourself Cagewrx cage.  

A basic tune from Dynojet with the tuner is $350.00.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:28 AM, kennerz said:

I would say it's an excellent 1st effort. Everything is pretty impressive with the exception of the power. Need to come out with an 'R' model with a little more width , better shocks, and competitive HP.  Charge $26k or so like all the other flagship sport models from other MFGs and you would have a solid winner just based on quality. Let alone great engineering and overall design.  If they can figure out the HP it's between this and the RG 4 seater for me.

The X3 is pretty bitchin, just seems like a lot of $$ to fix all the flaws to make it right. Many guys talking $10 to $20K being spent just to get it really sorted out. Don't want $50k in a SxS. Seen dual sport LS powered alumicraft and other top builder cars for that range. Not interested in a money pit.

Japanese durability, and build quality is really attractive to me at this point. The Honda would be on the list if the cab wasn't so small.

This is why I can't understand why my Revo isn't selling at around MSRP of a new X3 or Turbo S that needs cage/seats/harnesses/communications/frame and bulkhead improvements/etc. to be equivalent for sand-focused people.  I guess it's all down to financing options.

-TJ

21 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

This is why I can't understand why my Revo isn't selling

You're not the only one. My garage is full..........er, bank account is empty, so I can't help you out.

12 hours ago, tjZ06 said:

This is why I can't understand why my Revo isn't selling at around MSRP of a new X3 or Turbo S that needs cage/seats/harnesses/communications/frame and bulkhead improvements/etc. to be equivalent for sand-focused people.  I guess it's all down to financing options.

-TJ

Been eyeballing your car. It's about as sweet as it could be, all the right equipment pieced together meticulously. But you kinda nailed one of the many points of the SxS craze.  Just really hard to beat the overall utility. I'm making the switch from bikes and quads as soon as there is a vehicle I want to own and we are real close.

- Parts availability - as in off the shelf vs. custom one off parts of a sandcar

- True dual sport use

- Simple to work on for the mechanically inclined

- financing is a factor - or the ability to if needed.

- Performance envelope is approaching a pretty high level. 80mph whoops, jumps that would kill you on a quad,, etc all with a cage/comfort.

Hope you get everything your asking for your car, tough market for nice stuff to sell.  Very few people in Socal have a lot of cash. The demtards are killing the middle.

13 hours ago, kennerz said:

Been eyeballing your car. It's about as sweet as it could be, all the right equipment pieced together meticulously. But you kinda nailed one of the many points of the SxS craze.  Just really hard to beat the overall utility. I'm making the switch from bikes and quads as soon as there is a vehicle I want to own and we are real close.

- Parts availability - as in off the shelf vs. custom one off parts of a sandcar

- True dual sport use

- Simple to work on for the mechanically inclined

- financing is a factor - or the ability to if needed.

- Performance envelope is approaching a pretty high level. 80mph whoops, jumps that would kill you on a quad,, etc all with a cage/comfort.

Hope you get everything your asking for your car, tough market for nice stuff to sell.  Very few people in Socal have a lot of cash. The demtards are killing the middle.

Yup, 100% get it.  FWIW BFD is still in business and keep some Revo-specific parts "on the shelf" but can whip up anything that you might need from them in a matter of a day or two.  The rest (things like hubs, brakes, CVs, axles, etc.) would be on the shelf at Kartek.  Then the motor stuff is all stock GM.  I would say my Revo is true dual sport: sand and desert but it's not tri (or more) sport (sand, desert, rock crawling) since it's 2wd.  It's also pretty simple to work on (arguably easier to get to things than in a RZR, especially a XPT... but on the flip side of the coin there aren't eleventeen trillinody YT videos showing you everything step-by-step like there are for RZRs.  

I think it's just the financing, and yes the demtards killing the middle.  The are people that finance these things https://www.offroadloans.com/ for example, but I don't think people know about them.  As for people that have ~30k cash for a toy - they probably have another 30k behind that and will get a "big" LS car or something.  The Revo is FOR SURE a niche market. 

-TJ