onanysunday

Old guys 50+ what are you doing for excercise?

Posted (edited)

Just turned 56 last month. 4 years ago I was running 5 miles at an uphill incline on a treadmill at least 3 days  per week. Killer workouts. Then my left foot started hurting and found out from the doc I had a Morten's Neuroma.  Everything including Cortisone shots did not help. Now I permanently have a numb toe and sore foot. Have to buy new tennis shoes every 3 months and rotate 2 pairs of orthotics getting the rubber redone. Elliptical does not work anymore either due to excessive stress  on the foot. For 20 years I have had a large amount of  space gone in the bottom disc of my spine as well. Now it is so easy to tweak and have it flare up. Had to change my workout to something less strenuous but still make it tough. Couple years ago I bought a Concept 2 rowing machine. Awesome rower!!Also still have my bike and total gym. Last day in May of 2019 I printed a years worth of calenders and started tracking my workouts. I was determined to average 5-6 days a week working out for a year straight . Have my routine down pat and feel so great. Found the key is not to do to much. 3 days per week I do 5000 meters on the rowing machine at level 5 resistance. My best time to 5000 is 22:31 about a month ago. Last week I came within a second and consistently come within 15-30 seconds. Great to have a goal and push towards trying to beat it. Heart rate is typically in the 155-158 range. On the other alternate days I do 12 minutes on the bike with a heartrate at 137. Amazing how much you sweat in such a short time but it is all legs. That is warmup and then I alternate chest,shoulders biceps one day and then back,triceps on the other day on the total gym. Also on all bike days I lean against an exercise ball for support and do (2) sets of 15 slow squats holding a 25lb weight. This easily pushes the heart rate into the 140s.  Nice and slow for the burn.  Strong legs make so many things easier to do. Amazing how you can have more energy and need less sleep when working out correctly. Of course diet goes without saying and that is a constant battle. I have always done pretty well with that and don't fall off the wagon to often.  On long trips to the dunes I will take my buggy out from camp and find a decent size dune. Strap on the heart rate monitor and start hiking up and down. Does not take long at all to get the ole ticker into the 150s. That and way less alcohol at camp and I feel so much better.

Edited by onanysunday

Here’s my problem........

8A7581F1-1F28-4E33-8A41-98623606D47A.png

I ride the bike (mountain and road) an average of 10hrs a week and lift weights 3-4 times a week. Doing a 24hr time trial in Borrego Springs in about 4 weeks. i'm 52 and try to hit max BPM (189) at least 1 time each ride. My dad died while running just before his 51st so I need to be careful as im past my expiration date. :thumbup:

We love our Chuck Norris-Christie Brinkley “”Total gym “”  Plus I have dead weights in the garage to work out with and my new exercise since I cannot do crunches anymore are about eight different forms of planks.  I hate planks but they do show results!

I got a workout just reading that. I feel better already. lol

Actually I've let myself go over the years and gained weight. Put a lot more stress on an already bad knee. Had a replacement in May this year and started riding a bicycle as part of my rehab. I recently joined Planet fitness and trying to develop a routine but keep falling off. My knee isn't 100% yet and that is my main motivation to get back into the gym. Everyday's a struggle though. 

11 minutes ago, raspadoo said:

I ride the bike (mountain and road) an average of 10hrs a week and lift weights 3-4 times a week. Doing a 24hr time trial in Borrego Springs in about 4 weeks. i'm 52 and try to hit max BPM (189) at least 1 time each ride. My dad died while running just before his 51st so I need to be careful as im past my expiration date. :thumbup:

Wow, 189. My son in laws dad does a lot of iron man stuff and I remember him telling me he was hitting 220. That was at 58 years old. :rbj:

9 minutes ago, RK Racing said:

We love our Chuck Norris-Christie Brinkley “”Total gym “”  Plus I have dead weights in the garage to work out with and my new exercise since I cannot do crunches anymore are about eight different forms of planks.  I hate planks but they do show results!

Love my total gym. I have been thinking about starting planks back up in the morning. (Workouts are late afternoon). Any ab work can tweak my back and then I am sore for a week.

7 minutes ago, hondajimz said:

I got a workout just reading that. I feel better already. lol

Actually I've let myself go over the years and gained weight. Put a lot more stress on an already bad knee. Had a replacement in May this year and started riding a bicycle as part of my rehab. I recently joined Planet fitness and trying to develop a routine but keep falling off. My knee isn't 100% yet and that is my main motivation to get back into the gym. Everyday's a struggle though. 

Rowing machine is great with low impact if you haven't tried one.  Like anything takes a while to work your way up to longer rows.

I do 12 and 16 oz curls.  To get the heart rate up I "workout" with the wife.

Posted (edited)

Rule of thumb on heart rate max was 220 less your age. Be careful I have cooked it a few times and recovery is not fun.

Edit to add that this at any age, not just older ages.

Edited by Richard H

3 minutes ago, Richard H said:

Rule of thumb on heart rate max was 220 less your age. Be careful I have cooked it a few times and recovery is not fun.

Well using that number puts me at 164 max. I routinely hit 158 and like to keep it there.

Hmmmmm….working out.....what is this torture you speak of?

I get plenty of exercise jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle

Work kicks my butt pretty good.  I do a lot of shoveling and meter replacements, requiring lots of squats throughout the day.  But my cardio suffers.  Been doing some jump rope, and a little bit of running.  Not much, a couple times a week.  just enough to stimulate the muscles, not annihilate the muscles.  Then band practice once a week on the set gives me a hard sweat.  Just trying to do a little something every day, even if it’s ten sit-ups while watching the tube.   

Oh, been eating real good, makes a huge difference. 

I stepped on a piece of scrap 2x4 working on a she shed...….. twisted my left foot has been sore for 2 months....activity makes it worse....Fug I hate getting old...

Sounds like you guys have some great exercises going!

Running for me. Have a bad left knee, had surgery for a torn meniscus 2 years ago but so far it’s holding up ok with a knee brace.

I’m 50.....

Couple weeks ago I hurt my hip, went to the Dr and told him I think I hurt it stretching before my run. He says Running! You’re too heavy for that. Ummm ok I weigh 209 jackass. So anyway I was stretching and.... you’re too old to be doing any stretching exercises. I’m like Wtf. 

He finally decided to help me and diagnosed that I injured my piriformis muscle. So I’m just walking right now and taking an anti inflammatory. 

Id like to start mountain biking but I’ve had two surgeries involving my prostate, not sure I could handle sitting on a bike seat for an extended period of time. 

I did did find an old workout dvd that my wife had. I think they call it circuit training, that’s a great workout.

Also bought a cheap weight bench from Big 5. 

So walking/running, circuit training and a weight bench. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, onanysunday said:

Well using that number puts me at 164 max. I routinely hit 158 and like to keep it there.

You do a good work out and doing so that max can be pushed up. I could run 15 to 20 bmp over this routinely. It's just when you decide to go for and find your true max at your given age. More consistence routine exercise  will increase your max. Just don't be discouraged because next year, this years max heart rate may seem more difficult to achieve.

Edited by Richard H

I have metal eyelet ceiling mounts (or whatever they are called) that I Hook these  rubber bands to and get a good resistant exercise with these.   I was skeptical to ever use rubber band exercising as a work out, until I injured my shoulder last year and went to therapy every week for four months and all they had me do was use rubber bands. I think they’re the best thing to use for resistance training, at my age anyways.  I don’t use them enough though.  

image.jpg

Making good use out of the old swing mounts....way to multi task...

Posted (edited)

I used to do a lot of running until I developed Morton's Neuroma about 6 years ago. Went from wearing dress shoes to work, to walking shoes, to black "old man" sneakers with slacks to work. Finally gave in and had a cortisone shot.  The tricky thing about MN is that it feels better the less active (lazier) you are.  Most people that get MN layoff all activities thinking that it's getting better, until they go somewhere that requires a lot of walking. like a vacation or something. Then find themselves hobbling for a week after. After a few times of doing that, that's when we realize that it's not going away.

About a week after my first injection I scheduled another appt with the doctor.  I asked to schedule surgery on both feet to remove the neuromas. He said that most people don't come in and tell me to cut on them without going through the process. I said, look doc, you told me that it won't correct itself. The shot I got is temporary, and didn't do squat and I'm not going to wear inserts. So my only real resolution is to have them removed. He was like alright let's schedule and MRI. I said, do we really need to do an MRI? Without feeling around, you squeezed my foot in the exact spot that made me pretty much stick to the ceiling like a cat. So you know exactly what it is, and exactly where it's at. Do we really need an image of it? He was cool about it. He goes, umm no I guess I don't... Do you not have insurance?  I said sure I do, but I don't want something that should cost me $500 out of pocket to end up costing me $2500 because of precautionary measures. Hell just give me a bottle of whiskey and a stick to bite on. He laughed, and said that I can scheduling the surgery, but he would only do one foot at a time because he wanted to make sure that I can wipe my own ass throughout the process.... I thanked him for that later.

It's been about 3 years now. I'm glad that I pulled the trigger right away, rather than dealing with temporary fixes. I go to Planet Fitness 3-4 a week, and we stay pretty active around the house with different types of projects. Neither one of us are boob-tube people.  

As for exercise I use the oliptcal on level 10 for 1.5mi, and 15 minutes. This keeps me from slacking.  I can either haul the mail when I first get on it, and drift off later, or slack when I'm warming up and then haul butt at the end. Either way I have to hit those marks every time I'm on it. Other than that I do a few pull ups, push ups, and crunches while I'm there. 

I still love running, so every month or so I will get on the treadmill and run a mile or 2. The surgeon said that constant running after can cause a stump nerve to form, basically the neuromas can come back.  So I do avoid running for the most part.

His staff took a few pictures as they were doing the surgery. The left size was first, and much larger. I can't seem to find that picture right now.

Foot.jpeg

Edited by bent trix
To add a picture

5 hours ago, Richard H said:

That's interesting... and good to know. I don't push it hard when exercising. Now that I'm older I find that consistency is key.

Just turned 54. A healthy diet becomes more key each year and should be a way of life habit.  I have always kept to healthy eating, but it sure is getting harder to keep the mid section tight and the handles away.   I find prevention much easier and healthier than recovery. So, I don’t push the BPM, as I see no need to “test” or shock any muscle, including my heart. Proper strength training helps keep joints, etc in place and better aligned as our tendons become fatigued and less elastic with age. Better/tighter joint alignment prevents tissue inflammation and eventual arthritis.  So do very controlled lifts with reasonable weight. We definitely lose stamina as we age, even though we try so hard to maintain. Best to accept some of it gracefully. I treadmill about 2-3 miles during the week, when in the gym. Weekends are for long steep high elevation hikes. We have great mountains all around and getting away in nature sure can be cathartic. 14 days and 152 miles, at 17k feet elevation in the Himalayas (Nepal) this year was epic. Heading to Patagonia this March. Too old to do alpine running, but sure can get a serious workout on steep inclines and declines at a fast hike. Do the best your body will allow, listen too it, take care of it, and plan the most adventurous things first. Here’s to accepting that we will forever fight calories and gravity🍻  

Posted (edited)

I'm almost 50 and try to stay in as good as shape as possible(5'11" 170lbs). Diet is a huge part of this equation...I do as much mountain bike/road /gravel bike riding as possible for my cardio days. I used to enjoy X-country running but since shattering my Tib/Fib at momma G 12 years ago(still have a large rod inside the bone) running is no longer. 

For strength training I prefer my Tabata timer(app on the phone) and using Kettlebells with multi moves,while mixing push-ups and pull ups. I still have a standard,incline,and decline  bench press that I'll also mix in.  But using the Tabata timer is great as you set the time for each excercise with the amount of rest between each set and go. Great way to knock out a workout session as fast as possible. 

Edited by Dunerking

9 hours ago, Sndsamplr said:

I have metal eyelet ceiling mounts (or whatever they are called) that I Hook these  rubber bands to and get a good resistant exercise with these.   I was skeptical to ever use rubber band exercising as a work out, until I injured my shoulder last year and went to therapy every week for four months and all they had me do was use rubber bands. I think they’re the best thing to use for resistance training, at my age anyways.  I don’t use them enough though.  

image.jpg

Don't forget walking..

Into the kitchen for another beer.

I have those ceiling hooks also.. Very handy.

sex-swing.jpg

I need to start working out, thx for the encouragement. I’m far from overweight at 210lbs , 6’1 and 45 years old. But would really like to lose my belly and slim up. The problem I have is that back in the day I was basically a semi pro skateboarder and raced BMX/dirt jumping. I broke both my knees (at the same time) so they’re pretty much destroyed and I cannot run but for a very short distance. I get that a healthy body begins with the diet, but in researching them you’ll find a million different choices and I just need one. That and the fact that Raspadoo said that his dad died while running at 51 (sorry to hear) years old kinda scares me. Because I’m thinking if I died at 51, it means I have 6 years left. So I’m not sure how to proceed...

13 hours ago, Sndsamplr said:

image.jpg

DDCBFBD3-EFA7-41E1-BD8E-E31F17D87C98.png

18 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I need to start working out, thx for the encouragement. I’m far from overweight at 210lbs , 6’1 and 45 years old. But would really like to lose my belly and slim up. The problem I have is that back in the day I was basically a semi pro skateboarder and raced BMX/dirt jumping. I broke both my knees (at the same time) so they’re pretty much destroyed and I cannot run but for a very short distance. I get that a healthy body begins with the diet, but in researching them you’ll find a million different choices and I just need one. That and the fact that Raspadoo said that his dad died while running at 51 (sorry to hear) years old kinda scares me. Because I’m thinking if I died at 51, it means I have 6 years left. So I’m not sure how to proceed...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mediterranean-diet-meal-plan#foods-to-avoid