onanysunday

Old guys 50+ what are you doing for excercise?

I try to do this a few times a week. Need to work on my cardio. Same age as you, 56.

14 minutes ago, spize909 said:

I try to do this a few times a week. Need to work on my cardio. Same age as you, 56.

So does yoga get your HR up at all? I used to stretch for 15 minutes each time before running but not as much now. Looks interesting. Just a matter of finding time for all of it.

I read this as I have lunch... 2 slices of mozzarella and a tomato. God I am old

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:35 AM, onanysunday said:

So does yoga get your HR up at all? I used to stretch for 15 minutes each time before running but not as much now. Looks interesting. Just a matter of finding time for all of it.

not one bit...……..but it will help you to do the things that do. This isn't even yoga, just a good 20 minutes of stretching. The majareshe or green monolishi or whatever he is has a few other "20 minute" vids that are pretty good as well.

8 minutes ago, spize909 said:

not one bit...……..but it will help you to do the things that do. This isn't even yoga, just a good 20 minutes of stretching. The majareshe or green monolishi or whatever he is has a few other "20 minute" vids that are pretty good as well.

https://youtu.be/BK-Cti9PCr0?t=81

51 Here. I have a really f'ed up left shoulder that needs replacing, but i'm gonna hold off on that as long as i can. I cannot do anything overhead because of that.

That said, i work out 6 days each week. I play hockey once or twice a week and that counts as the workout for that day.

I lift every workout (not on hockey days) and do 20 minutes to an hour of cardio depending on the lifting for that day. Cardio includes sprints at least twice per week.

Good food and good beer are my nemesis.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:47 PM, Sndsamplr said:

I have metal eyelet ceiling mounts (or whatever they are called) that I Hook these  rubber bands to and get a good resistant exercise with these.   I was skeptical to ever use rubber band exercising as a work out, until I injured my shoulder last year and went to therapy every week for four months and all they had me do was use rubber bands. I think they’re the best thing to use for resistance training, at my age anyways.  I don’t use them enough though.  

image.jpg

Those hooks in the ceiling are good for some indoor four wall bunny ball too 

I'm 21 with 27 years experience and do the 12 oz curls intermittently :lmao:

Ok, so seriously. I was jogging 2 miles in the morning before work and do push ups, but a bum knee and ankle from activities in my youth kind of have me limited.

I don't want to be a runner so lately I have been doing a fast paced walk. at least 3 days a week and try to walk a mile at lunch when at work, Friday morning is a back pack with 20lbs. of weight and do my walk.

Tuesday Thursdays, I try to do free weights in the garage. Thursday after work I mtn bike and if I can squeak in another day on the weekend cool!

Remember Calories in vs calories out! It's hard as we get older and metabolism slows. I'm 5'-11" and weigh 199, my highest was 207.I'd love to be at 180-185.

I'll get there!

My brother is 51 and does P90x...he's in the best shape of his life. He's a Police officer and probably the best physical shape of even the new recruits!  :bb:

He's even cut back on running and does 3.5 miles a day at a fast paced walk. Amazing just what that can do.

If anything..do a walk. Even if its around the block. Do Something though!

Ride the bikes, swim in the ocean as much as possible, walk. Push ups and then stretch when I wake up.  Cut my portions in half  and dropped 60 lbs (6' 2" and weighed 240 lbs at the time) Have kept it off for 3 years . . .

For me I need to have a good breakfast. This is one of my favorites. Chop up some squash, zucchini, and broccoli. Pan cook in some olive oil. (I completely gave up butter probably 4 years ago), Whip up 3 eggs with some Cholula for salt and spice. Add some green chilis and cook. When almost done I add a complete Roma tomato.  This meal is better but not as healthy with a chopped up hash brown and some cheese added in. Usually do a banana as well and a small glass of V8 healthy greens.  For the most part I drink all water and tea at lunch every now and then. (Flairs up the tinnitus!) Maybe 1 soda every two months.

healthy-greens-1.png

20191009_083751_(1).jpg

I turn 50 next month.

I walk everyday.  Try and go to the gym 3-5 days a week.  Eat healthier.  I rarely drink anymore...which is probably a shock to people who've known me over the years.  I simply can't tolerate alcohol anymore.  I also became gluten intolerant all the sudden last year too.  That has severely impacted my diet.  I seriously chalk up my drinking heavy to a lot of my health issues these days.  Oh yeah...also vitamin D deficient.  Figuring that out had a significant impact overall.  I'm much better off now.

I do have some health issues.  Blood work and overall...great.  But I have chronic pain and inflammation.  Plantar fasciitis kills me.  I have to stay on top of it now or it will flair up in just a couple hours.  Overall bones and joints are pretty rough.  Years of abuse and riding dirt bikes like a pissed off teenager for 40 years will do that to you.

Posted (edited)

Dropped 48lbs in the last 2 years.

Eat much better.

Very little sugar.

No candy.

No soda.

No ice cream.

No milk.

Watch the stress level.

Carbs are down.

Walk 12000-15000 steps per day with work.

Edited by lincster

32 minutes ago, lincster said:

Dropped 48lbs in the last 2 years.

Eat much better.

Very little sugar.

No candy.

No soda.

No ice cream.

No milk.

Watch the stress level.

Carbs are down.

Walk 12000-15000 steps per day with work.

Awesome, I gave up milk 25 years ago. Almond milk only. Did the regular for a long time but now been drinking the no sugar stuff. Not quite as good but still ok on shredded wheat or grape nuts. Almost every day I thaw out some blueberries and eat with almond milk. I will say I still have Wednesday and Saturday sugar days. Usually a bowl of Rocky Road.

vanila_jo2YWTD.png.750x750_q85ss0_progressive.png

Article I saw today. Pretty much spot on. Good stuff. Living by it is not easy. https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/want-to-live-longer-these-are-the-best-things-to-eat-and-drink/ss-AAIx7Er

Edited by onanysunday

I'm 50 + 20, almost 70.  I mountain bike twice a week at Whiting Ranch.  It's about a 9 mile loop with some good up hill climbs.  I also do some long bike rides at the Beach when the mood strikes.

That was the situation until a few months ago when my buddy convinced me to buy a pedal assist mountain bike like his.  I didn't want to have a heart attack going up Mustard, so the pedal assist made sense.  Now I ride two loops twice a week.  Sometimes I'll turn off the pedal assist for awhile, nothing like pedaling a 53 pound bike uphill to get your heart pumping.  The point being I can turn on and off the pedal assist to get the workout I want for that day.  And the big bonus is, it's a great downhill bike keeping it fun!

I'm recently single, so I still ride my regular bike along the beach.  I might meet a nice lady and well you know . . . . . need to be on my macho bike, not my wimpy pedal assist bike.  

Never have been the one for diets or special meals.  Always thought they were a waste of money.  Just keep a scale in my bathroom and weigh myself daily in the morning.  Know if I need to cut back or can go for the double double.  Some days I eat sensibly and some days I don't, my choice.  Same way with alcohol.   Also my choice.  If I want to lose weight I just suck it up and eat/drink less until I lose the weight I want, checking the scale everyday.

I like to keep things simple.  

Is it dune season yet?

Agreed I just turned 50

Lost 30lbs last year

Quit drinking, amazing how muc better I feel all the time, energy I have, joints hurt less and I eat better. I dont think Man was meant to drink 3 or 4 beers daily.

Exercise 5 days a week cardio twice weights 3 times

Try to get 11k steps daily

Track all my calories daily.  Work out as hard as you want if you eat like crap you will never get anywhere

No alcohol 

Try low low sugar

No milk

No cheese bad for the heart 

Almost no bread 

A salad at least 1 daily

No soda, though a no calorie Monster does sneak in now and then

26 minutes ago, 2011BFD said:

Agreed I just turned 50

Lost 30lbs last year

Quit drinking, amazing how muc better I feel all the time, energy I have, joints hurt less and I eat better. I dont think Man was meant to drink 3 or 4 beers daily.

Exercise 5 days a week cardio twice weights 3 times

Try to get 11k steps daily

Track all my calories daily.  Work out as hard as you want if you eat like crap you will never get anywhere

No alcohol 

Try low low sugar

No milk

No cheese bad for the heart 

Almost no bread 

A salad at least 1 daily

No soda, though a no calorie Monster does sneak in now and then

Nice. I do a superfood kale/ broccoli/cabbage/brussel sprout  or spinach salad every evening. Do like cheese but try to moderate.

One of the things I see here is we all agree...you hit an age where alcohol takes a bigger toll on us and we have to make choices.

For me, I have drank like a fish since my teenage years.  I'm talking lots of beer...LOTS of hard liquor.  I attribute its use to messing up my body chemistry and is probably the root as to why I have issues now.  I can't hardly drink more than a glass of wine now without getting loopy and having a headache the next day.  My body has really said "enough". 

I had a lot of great times, did a lot of stupid stuff, have a lot of stories...but as time went on, I see where the damage took over and the blackouts became routine.  That's where the damage to friends and such took over.  I sound old...but man this is one thing I wish I could go back and do different to just have fun and reduce the damage I cause for and to myself.

Talking about alcohol...lately the trips I do with my buddy's, we are all coming back with beer in the cooler.

10-15 years ago we would always run out. :lmao:

I still do a couple beers during the week...maybe a glass of wine at night. Nothing consistent, but in moderation for sure.

1 hour ago, 2011BFD said:

Work out as hard as you want if you eat like crap you will never get anywhere.

This and Mexican food is to blame!

4 1/2 months of steady workouts and I hit my best time on the rower of 22:31 August 6th. In 2 months I have come within 1 second. Doesn't sound like a lot but killed it by 5 seconds today. HR 160.  I remember when running a lot getting runners high and the euphoria feeling from the endorphins.  Experienced a little bit of that today. Pretty awesome stuff. Is this thread motivating anyone yet?? :okiedokie:

20191010_173703.jpg

19 hours ago, Mac said:

One of the things I see here is we all agree...you hit an age where alcohol takes a bigger toll on us and we have to make choices.

For me, I have drank like a fish since my teenage years.  I'm talking lots of beer...LOTS of hard liquor.  I attribute its use to messing up my body chemistry and is probably the root as to why I have issues now.  I can't hardly drink more than a glass of wine now without getting loopy and having a headache the next day.  My body has really said "enough". 

I had a lot of great times, did a lot of stupid stuff, have a lot of stories...but as time went on, I see where the damage took over and the blackouts became routine.  That's where the damage to friends and such took over.  I sound old...but man this is one thing I wish I could go back and do different to just have fun and reduce the damage I cause for and to myself.

Absolutely 100% agree, had good times but see my "friends" who are still in this mode and just laugh. We are in different places and I rarely see them anymore. 

It's been said, "You Can't Stop Drinking".

Not true.

I stop every night..

From the age of 21 to the present day was drinking 12-24 beers everyday! When I turned 45..... quit drinking for five years. Hired a personal trainer and got my fat aiss in shape. Lost 20 pds immediately from not drinking then gradually got physically fit and the pounds came off. Got in shape. Played great golf, ripped Dunes for longer period of times. Became much more effective with my time. What do you do with the time when you used to be drinking? Business got better. Garage was cleaner. Quads and motorhome got lots of attention. BUT...………….The eyes opened and pointed out some obvious things that a drunk can't see. YES...…..Da chEFFF was married to the wrong person. Got divorced THANK GOD and found a wonderful person to spend the rest of my life with. Now at 56 years of age, been back to living the life of heavy drinking, heaving eating and lots of travel. Gained all that weight back got my aiss back OUT of shape and had to buy a SXS because all our Dune Buddies have decided to relax and enjoy the weeks in the Dunes instead of beating up their bodies on quads! With all that said...……………..chEFFF can't wait to camp with all you guys who say they cut way back on their alcohol intake. Looking forward to having my cooler stocked all week. Flip Flop said it best...……….Is It Dune Season Yet? Peace