socaldmax

VP Fuels alleged to sell adulterated, low octane racing fuel

Warning to anyone who uses race fuel in their expensive engine...

Apparently since 2014, VP has been substituting lower octane, adulterated fuel for what they claimed to be selling.

VP Racing Fuels Named in Fraudulent Lawsuit
7/3/2019
Gallatin, TN

M. O. Dion & Sons, which also operates under the name DION & SONS, is located in Long Beach, California. This organization primarily operates in the Gasoline business / industry within the Wholesale Trade - Nondurable Goods sector. This organization has been operating for approximately 33 years. M. O. Dion & Sons is estimated to generate $157.2 million in annual revenues, and employs approximately 60 people at this headquarters location and 115 total employees across all locations.

On June 4, 2019, M.O. Dion & Sons Inc., and its division Amber Racing Services, decided that they will no longer sell any product manufactured or distributed by VP Racing Fuels, Inc., and cancelled and terminated its Distributor Agreement with VP Racing Fuels, Inc. In addition, on June 5, 2019, M.O. Dion & Sons Inc., and its division Amber Racing Services, filed a lawsuit against VP Racing Fuels and certain of its officers in Los Angeles Superior Court, Case No. 19STCV19662.

The lawsuit alleges claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, fraud, unfair business competition, and false advertising, among others.

NATURE OF CLAIM

1. Defendants are (i) a Texas company that manufactures and sells racing fuels in
California and other states, (ii) its majority owner and President, (iii) its Chief Financial
Officer/General Counsel, and (iv) its Vice President in charge of North American sales. Plaintiff,
a California company, is a full service petroleum distributor that, until recently, distributed in
Southern California, among other places, the racing fuels manufactured by the Defendants. For
nearly 90 years, Plaintiff prided itself on its excellent business reputation, ethical standards,
integrity, and quality products and services to its customers. Plaintiff recently learned that, after
an ownership change of Defendant-company in about 2014, the Defendants—knowingly and
intentionally—implemented a fraudulent, unlawful, and unfair profit maximizing scheme, which
resulted in Defendants’ manufacture and sale to Plaintiff and others racing fuels with lower octane
ratings than the Defendants represented, Defendants’ surreptitious substitution of cheaper
components in its racing fuels which did not perform in place of its more expensive fuel
components that had performed, Defendants’ manufacture and sale of adulterated racing fuels,
Defendants’ false advertising to Plaintiff and others regarding its racing fuels, and Defendants’
other fraudulent, unlawful, and unfair acts as alleged below. On June 4, 2019, Plaintiff cancelled
and ended its distribution agreement with the Defendant-company, and now brings this action
against all Defendants for damages, injunctive relief, restitution, punitive damages, interest, costs,
and reasonable attorneys’ fees as allowed by law.

CLICK TO READ COMPLETE FILED COMPLAINT

M.O. Dion & Sons Inc. and Amber Racing Services will continue to support its race fuel customers with its F&L Race Fuel line of products. F&L Race Fuels are now supplied by a new reputable and well known manufacturer of high quality race fuels. The F&L Race Fuel line will be expanded to a full product line to meet the range of needs of its customers.

Steve Poole I represented Unocal Race Fuels as an Independent Distributor from 1993 to 1998. Largest Distributor in U.S.
We tested all race fuels often at Unocals Research facility in Brea, CA. VP's fuels were the only fuel to NEVER match the stated numbers t
o the research facility results.
I printed this info for racers and distributed these tests at the SCORE San Felipe 250 offroad race in 1995. VP threatened to file a lawsuit against me. They never followed thru. VP has always been crap.

Pump gas for the win!

THAT IS F'n HORRIBLE...……….

That will not go over well for them. I can see all the lawsuits now for blown up engines. LAME!!!

Typical class action lawsuit where the lawyers get all the dough and the plaintiffs get a dollar.

Wow, Not good when you can't trust your fuel.

Is this possibly when they say scheme identifying the octane level ie: VP110 is actually 100 octane?  Sounds good but whenever I have purchased their fuel they have notified me of the actual octane is different from the name. Just a thought in their defense possibly??

Maybe it will bring down the prices a little. I'm guilty of running VP, Sunoco, or F&L due to which is easier to get that weekend. Availability or price.

SUNOCO ..... :fishpic:

Damn Metal-Tech was correct, asked him why he never used the VP fuel down the street from his house, and he said the car never ran correct with it,

This is pretty surprising to me.  we ran nothing but VP for years & they were consistently the best.  Mind you we have not run it in probably 5 or 6 years..... 

That would sure hose up a N2O guys day........  I wonder what the SG changes were.......... 

We bought 20 - five gallon containers of VP101 and each container only had 3.5 gallons.

They refused making good on it.

From VP Racing Fuels corporate offices:

We are disappointed that Dion & Sons has decided to make disparaging claims about our product quality that are contrary to our own testing and the experiences of our distributors and customers. If any customer has a problem with our products, we will work with them make it right. For 45 years, we have been committed to formulating fuels that have met the rigid requirements of the FIA/FIM and are successfully used by race series such as IMSA, SRO, SCORE, MotoAmerica, Indy Lights, and engine builders in virtually every form of racing. We will continue to support our customers and racing partners by producing high-quality fuels they can rely upon to win. 

Our Official Statement Can Be Read Here.

-VP Racing Fuels

1 minute ago, VP Racing Fuels said:

From VP Racing Fuels corporate offices:

We are disappointed that Dion & Sons has decided to make disparaging claims about our product quality that are contrary to our own testing and the experiences of our distributors and customers. If any customer has a problem with our products, we will work with them make it right. For 45 years, we have been committed to formulating fuels that have met the rigid requirements of the FIA/FIM and are successfully used by race series such as IMSA, SRO, SCORE, MotoAmerica, Indy Lights, and engine builders in virtually every form of racing. We will continue to support our customers and racing partners by producing high-quality fuels they can rely upon to win. 

Our Official Statement Can Be Read Here.

-VP Racing Fuels

All I can really say is that when you split the sheets with Dion, this is their normal deal, lawyers, lawsuits, blown up claims, very brutal.  They are very litigious, to the extreme.  And, in case you missed that part in the  original article, they are marketing their own brand of race fuel now. They have for awhile, but they are focusing more on it.

Make of it what you will.

Hi VP, 

i have been running 100 gallons of VP110 thru our engines in Glamis. We probably burn 30 drums a weekend in our group. After reading this we have switched over to SP1 F&L with Brian Busby assisting on the purchase and delivery. Shame on you guys for putting our 75k race engines in jeopardy. 

1 hour ago, WLD-OTZ said:

All I can really say is that when you split the sheets with Dion, this is their normal deal, lawyers, lawsuits, blown up claims, very brutal.  They are very litigious, to the extreme.  And, in case you missed that part in the  original article, they are marketing their own brand of race fuel now. They have for awhile, but they are focusing more on it.

Make of it what you will.

What do you think of this? Independent testing, and VP fuel NEVER met the stated octane rating.

Steve Poole I represented Unocal Race Fuels as an Independent Distributor from 1993 to 1998. Largest Distributor in U.S.
We tested all race fuels often at Unocals Research facility in Brea, CA. VP's fuels were the only fuel to NEVER match the stated numbers t
o the research facility results.
I printed this info for racers and distributed these tests at the SCORE San Felipe 250 offroad race in 1995. VP threatened to file a lawsuit against me. They never followed thru. VP has always been crap.

Testing means more to me than a lawsuit. Also, if they ever go to trial, Dion is going to have to provide test results or they could be liable for defamation of character and libel charges. I can't imagine anyone making those kind of claims and filing a lawsuit unless they had the test results to back it up. That would be financial and business suicide.

Dang

That DS invoice looks like a property tax bill with all the hits....