CaliforniaSand

What is the Longest Trailer?

Hey I'm sure this topic has been discussed on here a thousand times but I can't seem to be able to find any threads on the topic.  I have a 40Ft DP and have been looking for a 24Ft Stacker in my price range and haven't had much luck.  However I have a lead on an almost new 33Ft Stacker that I love and it's a divorce situation so the price is fantastic.   I would love the extra 9Ft of room but with the tongue added I will be right at 78Ft total length.  I know there are guys running rigs even longer but I wonder how often they get cited or hassled by the good old CHP.   We also do a lot of traveling outside CA so any info on other states would be helpful also.  Anyone running an over length rig please let me know what your opinions and experiences are.  Thanks.

does you 40' DP have big power? gotta make sure it can handle that big of a stacker.

My last trailer was around 32' overall length... this put me somewhere around 72-73' overall length.  any gas station other than a truck stop sucked, but otherwise... never had any issues.

IMG_5587.thumb.JPG.ca5315c183e910aeb804712a80841a2d.JPG

Ahh yes...the moho/trailer question.

I enjoy bringing this up to the self appointed do gooder and most judgmental and righteous POS on the ASA website and FB page....Tym Wright.  He will blast you for sneezing wrong but he definitely tows over limit.  He might be the biggest POS in the duning community IMO...other than a certain resident expert I know of...

I have a 400Hp Cummins.  What power does yours have?  Nice looking rig by the way.

4 minutes ago, CaliforniaSand said:

I have a 400Hp Cummins.  What power does yours have?  Nice looking rig by the way.

Thanks! Mine is a 330hp CAT.... did fine with that trailer, but that trailer was pretty light compared to a stacker.  I just came up on a new to me 20' stacker for this season... so we'll see how that goes.  I already miss the bowling alley space the old trailer had lol

CVC 35401. (a) No vehicle combinations may exceed a total length of 65 feet.

5 minutes ago, jailbird said:

99% sure that is also the case in AZ.  I just passed on the perfect trailer that would have put me at 73 feet.  

2 minutes ago, jailbird said:

Yes I am very well aware of the 65Ft length code but there is what they call the "Motorsports Exemption".  Most all of the Nascar and NHRA rigs are well over length.  And I see over length Mo/Ho combinations on the roads all the time.  Just trying to find out if and how often the guys running these conbos get hassled.

10 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

99% sure that is also the case in AZ.  I just passed on the perfect trailer that would have put me at 73 feet.  

no sir that is not the case

Run it I have never heard of anyone getting hassled in person or on the web for that reason.  I know Tyn Wright was 80ft long when I put his satellite dish on.  

Posted (edited)

90%( I made up that percentage) of people get stopped for driving like A holes. As long as you stick around the speed limit and don't tailgate, you should be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to tow over length at all. It just so happens I'm right at 64 1/2 feet.

Andrew

Edited by WaPaWeKkA

12 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

Run it I have never heard of anyone getting hassled in person or on the web for that reason.  I know Tyn Wright was 80ft long when I put his satellite dish on.  

I know this is off topic but I see your a satellite guy.  I have an older dish on my MoHo that I always have problems with.  Do you know a good guy in SoCal you could recommend or should I just make a trip to Pheonix to see you? 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

no sir that is not the case

Where is it shown to be over 65 feet allowed?  I only found this when searching length in AZ.

28-1095. Vehicle length; exceptions; permits; rules; definitions A. A vehicle, including any load on the vehicle, shall not exceed a length of forty feet extreme overall dimension, including front and rear bumpers. This subsection does not apply to any of the following: 1. A semitrailer when used in combination with a truck or a truck tractor. 2. A truck that is equipped with a conveyor bed, that is used solely as a fiber and forage module mover and that does not exceed forty-eight feet in length. 3. An articulated bus or articulated trolley coach that does not exceed a length of sixty feet. 4. A bus that is not articulated and that does not exceed a length of forty-five feet. 5. A recreational vehicle, a power unit, a farm vehicle, a horse trailer or wheeled equipment as defined in section 28-2153 if used in combination with two units and if the combination does not exceed sixty-five feet in length. 6. A recreational vehicle as defined in section 41-2142, paragraph 30, subdivision (b) that does not exceed a length of forty-five feet.

My other problem is that Glamis is in CA, and I for sure do not need the headache of getting caught and told to drop my trailer and have someone else pick it up.  Not a likely outcome, but it would totally suck if it did happen.

Edited by Kat-A-Tonic

10 minutes ago, CaliforniaSand said:

I know this is off topic but I see your a satellite guy.  I have an older dish on my MoHo that I always have problems with.  Do you know a good guy in SoCal you could recommend or should I just make a trip to Pheonix to see you? 

neither just give me a call and we can come out to the dunes and get you hooked up or you can hit me up in Quartzsite, AZ but I will have installers out there on Vets weekend if you need a install.   New systems rock and have very very low failures.   I will be bring out a new internet system to wash 22 during Vets for some testing. 

3 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

Where is it shown to be over 65 feet allowed?  I only found this when searching length in AZ.

28-1095. Vehicle length; exceptions; permits; rules; definitions A. A vehicle, including any load on the vehicle, shall not exceed a length of forty feet extreme overall dimension, including front and rear bumpers. This subsection does not apply to any of the following: 1. A semitrailer when used in combination with a truck or a truck tractor. 2. A truck that is equipped with a conveyor bed, that is used solely as a fiber and forage module mover and that does not exceed forty-eight feet in length. 3. An articulated bus or articulated trolley coach that does not exceed a length of sixty feet. 4. A bus that is not articulated and that does not exceed a length of forty-five feet. 5. A recreational vehicle, a power unit, a farm vehicle, a horse trailer or wheeled equipment as defined in section 28-2153 if used in combination with two units and if the combination does not exceed sixty-five feet in length. 6. A recreational vehicle as defined in section 41-2142, paragraph 30, subdivision (b) that does not exceed a length of forty-five feet.

Well sir that must be very new as of three years ago when I did my searching and then asking many cops I know I was informed it was 75 ft then for years there was NO limit on the books.  They might have changed it  and stand corrected.   Still hold to my other statement that I have never heard of it being a issue if you find something on the interwebs please post I have been wrong before and I am sure will be in the future.  lol

This trailer is pretty long...

:dbart:

maxresdefault.jpg

OK, I had to.....

:bag:

schematic-of-toyota-tundra-towing-space-shuttle-endeavour_100402622_l.jpg

5 minutes ago, dbart said:

OK, I had to.....

:bag:

schematic-of-toyota-tundra-towing-space-shuttle-endeavour_100402622_l.jpg

Is that a Toyota Tacoma towing that shuttle?

The Tundra...But I just bet the tacoma could have done it too the way it was set up!

:laugh:

54 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

Beachead was stopped by CHP and measured because the CHP'er thought he looked over. 

He was

But with a little creative parking on the side of the road and leaning like a cholo he squeaked by.  the CHP'er and I quote told him I could of swore you were over.  Bob smiled and proceeded on his way.

While I was not on the side of the road when this happened I take Beachead as one of the people I believe  when they said it happened to them.  Even more so than when my old boss told me the CHP was sitting outside of Pamona measuring all the NHRA rigs as they were leaving and parking the ones who were over. Even though that Tuesday after he waited an extra day to make sure he wasn't going to get parked when he got the rig back to the shop he borrowed my 100' tape measure to check his rig. 

I know it used to be 75’ in AZ. It looks like it may have changed though. Has anyone looked into how much it would be for an over length permit?

Also, years ago I was told of a trucker that had a custom tape measure that he kept in his truck. Basically he removed a few feet from the tape measure in the middle. When he would get pulled over he would tell them that people always think he is over and would offer to use his tape measure and help him! 

What happens if you're over and wreck it...… is your insurance provider gonna have an issue? What about the lawyer for the people in the other vehicle?

Just playing devil's advocate here but these are the things I think of...

1 hour ago, CaliforniaSand said:

Hey I'm sure this topic has been discussed on here a thousand times but I can't seem to be able to find any threads on the topic.  I have a 40Ft DP and have been looking for a 24Ft Stacker in my price range and haven't had much luck.  However I have a lead on an almost new 33Ft Stacker that I love and it's a divorce situation so the price is fantastic.   I would love the extra 9Ft of room but with the tongue added I will be right at 78Ft total length.  I know there are guys running rigs even longer but I wonder how often they get cited or hassled by the good old CHP.   We also do a lot of traveling outside CA so any info on other states would be helpful also.  Anyone running an over length rig please let me know what your opinions and experiences are.  Thanks.

Even with a 9 liter/400HP motor, that's a lot of trailer.  Obviously there's stackers and then there's stackers... depending on how they're built and equipped, they can be heavy mofo's.  Add to that, in an attempt to idiotproof trailers, manufacturers tend to err on the side of caution with regards to axle placement and resulting tongue weight... don't be surprised when you see 2000-plus pounds on the tongue, it's easy to get there.  Then... depending on the severity of your hoarding disorder, if you have the room in the trailer, why not take it with you, right?  I'm pulling a bit over 18,000 pounds with a C9 Cat... from Tucson to the dunes, pulls pretty good... can run 75MPH on the level if I want to however, I have to work it hard to maintain that speed... I generally keep it around 65 to 68MPH.  Once in Ca, 55MPH is a piece of cake... I did Idaho a few years back, 1000 miles one way... one and done for me, I would never pull the stacker up there again.  Tuff pull... I got there however, just too hard of a pull to make for a comfortable ride.  

21 minutes ago, big_daddy_jp said:

Also, years ago I was told of a trucker that had a custom tape measure that he kept in his truck. Basically he removed a few feet from the tape measure in the middle. When he would get pulled over he would tell them that people always think he is over and would offer to use his tape measure and help him! 

Very sneaky but I like it!!!!!!!!