big_daddy_jp

Onan Marquis Gold 5500 Carb Issue

I’m posting this here so hopefully it will get more exposure. Admin, feel free to move it if need be. So here goes. I’ve got an 06’ WW 5th wheel. I’ve owned it since new. If taken my carburetor off and cleaned it about 3-4 times total. I’ve always had good luck cleaning them. I never drain the gas, i don’t use fuel stabilizer, and I’m lucky if I remember to run it twice in the off season! I have always used 91 octane. Well, I cleaned my carb again this summer and even though it ran, it was always hunting. It wouldn’t smoothe out. Pulled the carb and cleaned it like 3 more times, changed fuel filters, checked for cracked fuel lines, etc. So I decided to buy a carb. I’m a cheap ass so I ordered a Chinese eBay special for $50 delivered. I just got done installing it. Fresh tank of gas thanks to my son stealing the rest for his truck! Anyways, primed it and fired it off and it runs amazing!!! I turned on the a/c on full blast and let it run for about an hour and a half. No problems what so ever. Just letting you guys know because most of us have the same generators and the same issues.

I hava cleaned the carb on mine a few times as well, if I have any issues I’ll try one of these eBay carbs! 

I ordered a 59$ one off amazon the other day. Mine was acting goofy but I was able to get it running after I took the bottom portion off. Haven’t tried the amazon one yet. But I’m sure it’s the same one you have. Good info. 

If anyone changes one out and doesn't want it, I'll take it.

8 minutes ago, Mac said:

If anyone changes one out and doesn't want it, I'll take it.

Hey Mac I have a used spare that I keep in my trailer. Now I have two used spares. If you need one you can have it.

Have an 06 trailer with that same generator and alot of hours on it. Never had an any problems with carb. Did have fuel pump issues. It would get hot and lock up. Had to replace it.

Awesome! 

I always top off with gas and add fuel stabilizer. I keep my 5th wheel at home and even then I forget to start the generator.  I did buy a carb but have it as a back up.

Would be nice if you can add a link or post a picture with description to help others. 

Thanks. 

Part number of carb please. 

I did pay a little more to get all of the extras that came with the carb. I thought the on/off valve would be cool to have but it leaked right away. So I just installed the carb with new gaskets and the inline fuel filter.

9CAC50AE-2465-4B76-AABD-7B9B2EF71F45.png

2 hours ago, big_daddy_jp said:

Hey Mac I have a used spare that I keep in my trailer. Now I have two used spares. If you need one you can have it.

I have a new spare.  But you see where I was going with this...lol

This guy:

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-Liter-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-63256.html

Plus Totally Awesome or green coolant, 24-48 hours, and good as new. 

16 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

This guy:

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-Liter-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-63256.html

Plus Totally Awesome or green coolant, 24-48 hours, and good as new. 

I have that ultrasonic cleaner.

Do you partially disassemble the carb, or just put it in fully assembled?

Great thread big daddy. I have the same year trailer same generator. I have an issue where it can run great for hours no problem, cool weather, hot weather, doesn’t matter.  Then it was die and won’t start. Easy fix, pull fuel line and let off the pressure, attach fuel line and prime it and it fires right back up and works great for days or will do it an hour later. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Any suggestions? 

Edited by B0NES

Maybe check your fuel cap? If you have to relieve fuel pressure for it to run, I would check this. Also, instead of removing your fuel line, wouldn’t it be easier to just bleed the fuel from the bowl with the drain screw?

I had issues with my generator running for a while, then shutting off. You'd have to let it sit for a while before it wold restart.

Grease Monkey and I were talking about it...the pump used on the Onan's is a "push pump".  Onan uses it as a "pull pump".  I took my fuel pump off the generator unit and moved it back to the fuel tank.  Works great now and no more issues.

I had to run a couple wires back but that was it.  Granted...my trailer is 32' with the generator all the way in the from and the fuel tank all the way in the back.

Edited by Mac

14 hours ago, big_daddy_jp said:

Maybe check your fuel cap? If you have to relieve fuel pressure for it to run, I would check this. Also, instead of removing your fuel line, wouldn’t it be easier to just bleed the fuel from the bowl with the drain screw?

I bought a new fuel cap thinking the same thing. 
It’s super easy to pull the fuel line right at the filter/inlet to the carb. It takes about 1 minute but it’d be nice to know what the issue is and get it fixed

4 minutes ago, B0NES said:

I bought a new fuel cap thinking the same thing. 
It’s super easy to pull the fuel line right at the filter/inlet to the carb. It takes about 1 minute but it’d be nice to know what the issue is and get it fixed

There are 2 fuel filters in line, unless someone has removed one of them. There's a directive from Onan to remove the one right at the carb, the other one is under the generator. I removed both and installed a larger, plastic fuel filter with a lot more filter area. 

At one time I also had an intermittent fuel flow problem, it happened more frequently on hot days. It turned out to be a failing fuel pump, which is a standard Facet cheapo pump at any auto parts store. 

I think the right way to fix these for good is to install the larger filter near the tank, then install the pump right after that near the tank, then run power back to the fuel pump. If your trailer is fairly old, it might be wise to replace the entire fuel line as well.

21 hours ago, socaldmax said:

I have that ultrasonic cleaner.

Do you partially disassemble the carb, or just put it in fully assembled?

Take the bowl off, pull the float and jets. Float doesn’t go in since those parts don’t need cleaning. 

1 hour ago, socaldmax said:

There are 2 fuel filters in line, unless someone has removed one of them. There's a directive from Onan to remove the one right at the carb, the other one is under the generator. I removed both and installed a larger, plastic fuel filter with a lot more filter area. 

At one time I also had an intermittent fuel flow problem, it happened more frequently on hot days. It turned out to be a failing fuel pump, which is a standard Facet cheapo pump at any auto parts store. 

I think the right way to fix these for good is to install the larger filter near the tank, then install the pump right after that near the tank, then run power back to the fuel pump. If your trailer is fairly old, it might be wise to replace the entire fuel line as well.

Thanks for the info.