spills310

Looking for info on S&S Sand Cars

I'm looking to pick up my first 4-seat car, and came across a pretty clean looking S&S with a N/A Honda 3.5 and 2D that fits the budget. I'm looking to see if anyone has any advice on areas of concern with these cars, structurally or mechanically. The car did have a failure at an inner trailing arm mount, which was gusseted up, and am wondering if that is a normal thing for the chassis? Anywhere else on the car specifically to look over?

He's also claiming 375 rwhp from a stock ECU, and upgraded intake, exhaust, and a tune. I don't care about what the actual dyno says because this is a reasonable powertrain for the family for now, but this seems a bit exaggerated, especially because he can't tell me if anything has been done to the internals. Do you think 375 hp is possible if its built with a cam, bore, etc.? (I was highly amused reading Alper's latest hp thread after I heard this).

I plan to inspect CV's and he says the trans was just freshened up with a new clutch, etc. What noises in particular should I be listening for that would be a sign of imminent failure? 

Anyways, I've been following these forums for a couple years now, and I appreciate all your advice in advance. Thanks. 

no way is it close to 375 rwhp.  My turbo 3.5 @ 6lbs boost was maybe around peak 350-400 hp at the flywheel.

a lot of cars have problems with inner trailing arm... seems to be a common failure.  As long as the repair was done well, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I am not too familiar with S&S, but the cars I've seen looked like good cars.

Stock 3.5 Honda a4 motor is showing 250 hp. Going to need to have had some money spent to get 350 rwhp. Then through a Honda ecu???

Lol my neighbor is the owner of S&S. The cars are good and the week points come from decisions made by the purchaser. I have seen people trying to save a dime and use mild steel and such. So you would need to know the exact chassis before I could give you any exact info.

P.s. S&S is still building just alot slower pace. Not as much demand for new cars.

I know a couple of people who owned S&S sand rails, they were good running, reliable cars.

Just to be sure, you should get the VIN and contact the builder and find out if it was a chromo or mild steel chassis.

18 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

I know a couple of people who owned S&S sand rails, they were good running, reliable cars.

Just to be sure, you should get the VIN and contact the builder and find out if it was a chromo or mild steel chassis.

Exactly he is always willing to help

Kyle (owner of S&S) builds amazing cars and is a top notch fabricator IMO. He doesn't come on here and doesn't self promote too much but his instagram has some of the cars he has done. He has built multiple $200k cars.  He has different levels of frames for various budgets and some are J-arm and some are A arm front ends.  I regret selling mine. I was talking to him about a new build but I found a Funco g52 that I really 'needed'......

Edited by 1newbie
update

The hp is a lie. You would need a turbo to achieve that. I’ve always seen those cars having a good time. If it’s in the budget and has what you want grab it. Most likely that won’t be your last rail. 

I talked to you a bunch earlier, but I love mine! That one looks like a good car for the money, especially if the trans was recently freshened up. Do you know who he had do the trans?

i still like mine after having to rebuild the trans right when I got it and build a new motor after the first season, so that says something about them lol 

Kyle builds a great car. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy a S&S. 

But if a seller is that far off about the motor, who knows what else he’s talking about that he really has no clue about...

a Honda/2d car is a great entry level car and will be tons of fun. But is it really a 2d? Have him explain the difference between a 2d and an ebox. 

Our first car we got roped into was a “Honda/2d” car and we quickly learned that the fresh 2d was really a worn out e-box and a n/a Honda isn’t a whole lot of get up and go in a 4 seat buggy loaded with people. 

Was still fun but after a tranny rebuild, turbo/intercooler and new computer we could have been in the LS/2d range price wise 

If the price is right, go ahead and buy it. Later on, if you need more power, you can always add a turbo. I rode in a turbo 3.5 car and it flat out hauled ass, including pulling wheelies at 55/60 with 2 guys in it!

Thanks everyone. All of this good to know. I tried getting a hold of Kyle today and planned to ask if he can recognize the car, and if its a chromoly cage vs steel, or how I can tell. But I will try again tomorrow. And I'll get some more information on who did the trans and the work done, and see if I can confirm a 2d. I'll ask for a close up pic of the nose cone as well and see if the flanges are a 2D.

And a buddy in our group had a N/A 3.5 in his 2 seat car before an LS swap, and I'm sure I'll be asking you all about recommendations for adding a turbo next summer! But it should do the trick for now as an entry level car while I figure out driving a 4 seater. 

What is he asking for the car ?  

16 minutes ago, hondajimz said:

What is he asking for the car ?  

1 hour ago, spills310 said:

Without seeing the car can't really say if that's a good price or not. I'm thinking it's a little high if it's a single shock car. Maybe post some pics and you'll get more feedback.

4 minutes ago, hondajimz said:

Without seeing the car can't really say if that's a good price or not. I'm thinking it's a little high if it's a single shock car. Maybe post some pics and you'll get more feedback.

Ok, Thanks for the advice. It has bypasses in the rear, and appears light enough that I'm thinking that should be sufficient for a good time. The last 2 are photos of the repaired and gusseted trailing arm mount.  

65967754_627718244394587_7286277782756130816_n.jpg

66173232_573343299861189_1148143104381943808_n.jpg

68707502_886621855048346_3164673367030628352_n.jpg

68517199_350454195902014_173528472738594816_n.jpg

72146136_446927099513886_589335183061155840_n.jpg

72737199_2728532894027318_1916086396527837184_n.jpg

My buddy bought one that looks almost identical to this last year.  I'm doing some prep on it right now in my garage.  His chassis looks the same but it has a stroked Alper LQ9 with a Fortin Wide gear in it and it was used for mainly hard pack.  I looked over the entire chassis and have to say, I'm impressed with the quality of this build.  It's all tig welded and they all look really good.  It has no dead tubes and the gussets are in all the right places.  He has has C/O w/ bipasses in the rear and an internal bi-pass single on the front.  I haven't found a single crack and it was rode hard.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy an S&S if they all look like this one.

my .02,

~jw

3 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

My buddy bought one that looks almost identical to this last year.  I'm doing some prep on it right now in my garage.  His chassis looks the same but it has a stroked Alper LQ9 with a Fortin Wide gear in it and it was used for mainly hard pack.  I looked over the entire chassis and have to say, I'm impressed with the quality of this build.  It's all tig welded and they all look really good.  It has no dead tubes and the gussets are in all the right places.  He has has C/O w/ bipasses in the rear and an internal bi-pass single on the front.  I haven't found a single crack and it was rode hard.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy an S&S if they all look like this one.

my .02,

~jw

Thanks. Thats just the kind of insight I'm looking for. Its a 5 hour drive to go inspect it, so I'm trying to find as much info like this ahead of time. 

I have known Kyle since he was a kid . I have owned  5 to date over the last 12 years I was the original owner of the one with the Fortin .They are great cars ,Kyle is easy to deal with and his quality is top notch . The 6 th one is almost finished it goes to the wiring guy on friday should be ready for Thanksgiving . it is a bi power mid engine full body

It looks solid. 3.5, 2d 4 seat for 20.5 I think is a good price. If looking for a car I would make the drive to see in person.

Update: I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Come to find out it is actually a J32 with a factory computer so who knows where he pulled those numbers. Got ahold of Kyle from S&S and he remembered the car and was very helpful and patient with my newbie questions... The car will need a trans rebuild and some other maintenance that is questionable, like a new shifter, heims, cvs and boots, etc.  We were able to negotiate a price I think we were both happy with, and now the project starts with the hopes of making the first trip the weekend before Thanksgiving. Thanks again all who gave feedback. 

Awesome, it all starts with, hi my name is .... and I have an addiction 

Congrats on the new car!

I've seen posts where guys said they bought a replacement J35 for $300-$400. While the trans is out would be a good time to slip in a J35 and get a different computer for it, one capable of handling boost if the stock computer can't do it.

Congrats on the new car.

10 hours ago, socaldmax said:

Congrats on the new car!

I've seen posts where guys said they bought a replacement J35 for $300-$400. While the trans is out would be a good time to slip in a J35 and get a different computer for it, one capable of handling boost if the stock computer can't do it.

Great idea. I think the plan is to get her running as a reliable family cruiser for the little ones this season. We'll see what next summer has in store tho?