Mac

Gas vs Diesel

I'm looking at new trucks.  Going to buy one this week.  I've been pretty set on a new diesel but...

I'm hearing the problems with the new diesels with all the emissions stuff and now the DEF...that the diesels might not be the best option.  I looked up specs on the Chevys/GMCs and there is no difference in tow capacity, but obviously HP and torque are WAY different.  I've owned both, I can maintain both.  I have not owned a newer, smog motor diesel and I have never towed a big trailer with anything but a diesel.

I tow from San Diego to Imperial Valley roughly twice a year.  Tow out at the beginning of the season, tow back at the end of the season.  So it will result in minimal towing and pretty much flat terrain.  Other than that, the truck will be a daily driver.

So...what says you GD.com?  

In your "towing uses" I can see the choice more difficult. If I used my truck  less in rv service I would also consider gas over diesel. Your planned uses is exactly opposite of my uses and this is why I went diesel again. DEF, it's new to me and at this point I see it as a good thing. Yes more cost with added product to buy, but it's nice from the aspect of no fumes and no smoke. As far as cost, I find it much less expensive then the fuel additive I used daily in my old truck to survive on modern fuels. I drive 95% loaded/rv towing service and do not drive as daily transportation.  

Only towing twice a year I would go gas.

A gas truck would be fine, really if you only tow twice a year it would make more sense to buy a half ton and just pay someone like @L.R.S. to transport your trailer for you twice a year

I love my power stroke but I agree. If towing twice a year, pay @LRS and but a 1/2 ton for a daily driver. 

If you're going to hire someone to tow for you twice a yr, you don't even need a truck.

Just buy a Prius.

If yore TH is over 12K, over 28ft long and Triple Axle....which I recall it might be....Go Diesel If you can, you will hate a Gas Truck with your current set up.

Gas is good for shorter, lighter TH. 10k, 2 axles and 26 feet and under.

Bull shat. The guy's only really towing twice a year.

He's going for a new truck.  

Why would you put yourself into the out of warranty expenses of a diesel for that. 

Most of us tow out of  Max specs  with diesels. So what he will tow twice a year maybe out of his Max or out of some wanted miles per gallon.

Big picture here. I would go gas if I had to do it over. No reason for diesel with all the added bs, thank you CA.

I only tow twice a year as well. Once to GDS and once after season home. 38 ft fiver 18k

Already breaking the law. 

The rest will be expensive once warranty repair is gone.

407,000 miles on my 2006 Duramax diesel, probably 50% of that towing some sort of trailer. Even for a pickup that rarely, if ever, tows a trailer, how many gas powered trucks have that high of mileage and are still road worthy?  Very few I'd think.

217k on Clifford 2004LLY (Red crew cab) .. runs like a top.. Just getting broke in..If you are going to buy used, Id search for a clean 100k or under, 04-07 GMC /chevy D-max.. If you’re going to go new. Id go gas for the few times you’re going to tow.

Going to commute in it? How heavy is your pig?

I went from a CTD Yodge like yours to a V10 Excursion.  Driving around, the diesel felt faster, but in reality they both were topped out at 55-ish over the grade since the CTD didn’t rev for beans and couldn’t hold 3rd, and the V10 revved for days and could do 65 in 2nd if I really wanted it to. This was towing a 13k toy hauler. 

Current gas engines with all the gearing to keep the screaming at a maximum will tow under 13k-ish pounds no problem, just bring earplugs or crank the stereo if you don’t like the singing. :bigrin 

BTW: if you’re not daily driving the thing, Ford is coming out with a “430hp” (I think it’s underrated to keep the Powerstroke top dog) big block F-250 with a 10 speed auto in the 2020 models. 

Edited by Rockwood

25 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

407,000 miles on my 2006 Duramax diesel, probably 50% of that towing some sort of trailer. Even for a pickup that rarely, if ever, tows a trailer, how many gas powered trucks have that high of mileage and are still road worthy?  Very few I'd think.

Agreed but he's looking at new trucks. Would you pull the same trigger for two tows a year with the newer diesel smog stuff?

Yes or no?

6 minutes ago, Grease Monkey said:

Agreed but he's looking at new trucks. Would you pull the same trigger for two tows a year with the newer diesel smog stuff?

Yes or no?

No, I wouldn't.  

And a real life example of what I would do- My son needed a newer pickup to replace his 1992 GMC 1/2 ton (sold to a board member) and I would have loved to get him a Duramax for when he starts running transports for me.  But that's not the priority right now, he just needs a PU for his yard work/brush clearing business.  So I settled on a 2002 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0 gas engine and towing package (purchased from a board member).  If I absolutely had to use his truck to pull a trailer I could.

3 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

No, I wouldn't.  

And a real life example of what I would do- My son needed a newer pickup to replace his 1992 GMC 1/2 ton (sold to a board member) and I would have loved to get him a Duramax for when he starts running transports for me.  But that's not the priority right now, he just needs a PU for his yard work/brush clearing business.  So I settled on a 2002 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0 gas engine and towing package (purchased from a board member).  If I absolutely had to use his truck to pull a trailer I could.

Thank you Jeff. 

Macs a good friend and I want him to get real honest answers.

The diesel is great don't get me wrong. But for what Mac really needs the gas is fine. I did it in my last truck for years with 2 wd. He can buy a gas truck 3/4 ton, Lift it, tires and wheels etc and make it out with no problem.

Gas.

If you go diesel get the best longest warranty you can, you never wanna see a repair bill on a modern diesel. 

I have a 2016 2500HD gas rig. And a 2015 Duramax 3500HD. The 2500 handles up to 10k all right and rated to tow 14,500 which is not a problem until you hit a steep grade.  

New Chevy 2500 you can get the 6.6 gas engine I have not test drove one yet. The Ford 7.3 has engine is not out yet. If you need a Chevy dealer Jason Holley at Selman Chevy in Orange.

3 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

Gas.

If you go diesel get the best longest warranty you can, you never wanna see a repair bill on a modern diesel. 

Dealership the diesel is $8-11K if fuel pump fails.  To replace the 6.0 in the gas truck with new Crate engine $5500. 

I’d go gas, I’ve had both and if your comparing new to new then gas.  1/2 ton would make a more sensible driver daily too. 

Im in San Diego & goto Glamis probably 5 to 7 times a year.  I tow out every time.  I have a 26' car trailer that has my buggy & all of my stuff in it.  I tow with a 99 Ram 2500 that has 275 HP & probably 450 Ft-Lb of TQ. 

My truck is 20 years old this year & has 230K on it.  Its really starting to show its age & Im tempted to get a new one.  Im VERY tempted to buy a gas truck.  Yea the milage is not going to be as good & the TQ is not the same, but ............ most 2019's gassers are going to be pretty close to the same hp/tq of my 99 so...............

the complication here is that with the cost of the truck, insurance & registration increase Im going to have with a new truck, I could put that money back into the old Dodge & still have a LOT of beer money left over....... 

Unless your looking for a business write off buying a new diesel truck to use it twice a year towing is going to cost you a fortune in depreciation, tags, and insurance.  The words "commuter" and "diesel truck" do not belong together.  

My 08 Dmax does everything I ask of it.  Cheap insurance and tags now.  

I would look for a fun to drive car that lets you get in the HOV lane and is cheap to maintain.  Looking for a good used Tesla model S myself and keeping the dmax. 

Gas, mainly due to all the smog crap that CA has put on. 

A 1/2 ton is out of the question.  My TH is big and heavy.  I wish I could go back to a 1/2ton.  Buying used is not an option.  I want something new unless someone here has a brand new truck with super low miles, still smells new and is the absolutely deal of the century (Say...$25K).

It was mentioned...gas wouldn't be an issue so long as there aren't any steep inclines...Well...I tow on the I-8...I'd have to deal with that climb once a year.

I appreciate all the feedback and discussion.  I was pretty set on a new diesel until Grease Monkey and I started chatting about it.  The cost of these trucks today are outrageous.

So...here's a question... Gas...smog every 5 years.  Diesel is every other year.  Is that still correct on the newer diesels?

2 minutes ago, Mac said:

A 1/2 ton is out of the question.  My TH is big and heavy.  I wish I could go back to a 1/2ton.  Buying used is not an option.  I want something new unless someone here has a brand new truck with super low miles, still smells new and is the absolutely deal of the century (Say...$25K).

It was mentioned...gas wouldn't be an issue so long as there aren't any steep inclines...Well...I tow on the I-8...I'd have to deal with that climb once a year.

I appreciate all the feedback and discussion.  I was pretty set on a new diesel until Grease Monkey and I started chatting about it.  The cost of these trucks today are outrageous.

So...here's a question... Gas...smog every 5 years.  Diesel is every other year.  Is that still correct on the newer diesels?

Here is another option. Take a look at the 2020 Ram Ecodiesel. Towing capacity 12,400, get power and the most comfortable truck I have ever driven. in my 2017, I am getting an honest 25 mpg up and down the Cajon commuting.

7 minutes ago, Mac said:

Cost, diesel is a 10kright on the start. I love mine! I got imo one heck of a deal to boot so easy to pull the lever.