Mac

Gas vs Diesel

Go buy whatever Gas PU you'd like for commuting and RENT a Diesel PU twice a year...............next 😏

I'd hold out a few months and check out the new super duty with the 7.3 gas motor. You can get 250 or 350 with Tremor off road package.

I keep saying I'm going to sell my 2017 F250 because I don't need it but every time I drive it I have second thoughts the diesel is so nice and has tons of power.

Mac,

Get the gas and just deal with the climb 2X per year / The gas truck will handle it …..You may end up getting out and back 1 hour later TOTAL in a years time....sooo what

Driving a new gasser is fine. You can use all the extra money on doing something else.  I LOVE diesel trucks big time BUT with what you said you were doing....no way! Grease Monkey is pointing you in the right direction...…… You will get a TON of miles out of it the way you take care of your stuff...…. My 6.0 gasser has 238K miles …..My old 7.4 Suburban had 285K miles when I sold it and Lance is still running it...…...My 8.1 Gasser that my buddy in Boston bought has 196K miles on it and is running strong

Again, I love the diesel trucks A LOT BUT 363 Days a year you will be glad you got the gasser!

Just my opinion ( So now go do the opposite) LOL

:poule:

Yes diesel is smog every other year. 

Mac, my 25000lbs motorhome has a 8.1l gas motor and i pull mt springs and crestwood 60mph no problem towing a flatbed trailer. 

Don't forget the added maint expense of diesels in fuel filters and 150$ oil changes

remember pre 2004 when diesel was the cheaper alternative? Wow times change

i like the idea of my old 2001 f350 when i need to tow and i daily drive a 2015 passat tsi, comfortable, fun, relatively quick and  30mpg average. Though i think my next car will be a charger rt

Edited by sausage450r

12 hours ago, socaldmax said:

If you're going to hire someone to tow for you twice a yr, you don't even need a truck.

Just buy a Prius.

LOL - I have a buddy that just rented a truck since he only went to GLAMIS like twice a year. I love me diesel 7.3 but I use if for everything! Bumping dirt, home depot, lake, camping trips, moving stuff! 

4 minutes ago, jhuerta said:

LOL - I have a buddy that just rented a truck since he only went to GLAMIS like twice a year. 

Exactly.

He's hiring someone to tow his rig there and back, he can get his fellow campers to bring his rig from storage to the campsite every trip. There's no need to even buy a truck, just buy a Prius and drive that to Glamis and back.

1 hour ago, Mac said:

So...here's a question... Gas...smog every 5 years.  Diesel is every other year.  Is that still correct on the newer diesels?

Unless I missed something, gas is every 2 years? Always has been.

And for what you need, diesel seems like a waste of money.

41 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

Mac, my 25000lbs motorhome has a 8.1l gas motor and i pull mt springs and crestwood 60mph no problem towing a flatbed trailer. 

Don't forget the added maint expense of diesels in fuel filters and 150$ oil changes

remember pre 2004 when diesel was the cheaper alternative? Wow times change

i like the idea of my old 2001 f350 when i need to tow and i daily drive a 2015 passat tsi, comfortable, fun, relatively quick and  30mpg average. Though i think my next car will be a charger rt

Yep.  V10 with the 5 speed drags 64' worth of motorhome/toys over that grade and the back way out of Jamul no problem.  Slowest part is Skyline Truck Trail with a 10%-ish grade from a stop sign, still hits 45mph.  That's the 310hp 2V pig in the van chassis.  Newer 6.6 Chevy or 7.3 Ford have over 100hp on me driven through 2x the  gears.

Just bring earplugs or put in a banging stereo.  Gonna make some noise.

3 minutes ago, spize909 said:

Unless I missed something, gas is every 2 years? Always has been.

And for what you need, diesel seems like a waste of money.

5 years from new, then every 2 years.  OBDII function check only, no tailpipe or snap test boolshit.

Edited by Rockwood

14 hours ago, cali kid said:

Only towing twice a year I would go gas.

To add in the future I’m planning on getting a moho and I will definitely be selling my diesel truck and a get a gasser dd. No need for the added expense of maintaining a diesel just for commuting.

22 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Exactly.

He's hiring someone to tow his rig there and back, he can get his fellow campers to bring his rig from storage to the campsite every trip. There's no need to even buy a truck, just buy a Prius and drive that to Glamis and back.

He is NOT hiring someone to tow his rig. He tows it himself. He stores 25 minutes from glamis so he does in fact need a truck. This tread was about a diesel VS gasser. You have no idea if he needs to buy a truck or not....maybe just quit being a grandstanding internet troll and move on. You 100% know he doesn't want your opinion.  He doesn't even see what you post with that awesome "Block" option gd.com offers. Ill even add a :cheers: to this post so it appears I am trying to be polite. Why ???

:poule:

If you just want to spend money, which it seems you do, buy what makes you happy and WHO GAF what anyone else thinks?

I can't accept the upfront cost, reg, ins, repair costs, and depreciation of a newer diesel pickup for personal use.  If I had a business and could leverage the tax benefits, I would have one 100%.   My utilization is similar to yours, and I just bought myself a 2002 2500hd with the 8.1 and allison with 62k on the clock.  Paid 12k for the truck, it's mint, and is outfitted exactly how I wanted.  It won't to my 10k lb enclosed like a newer diesel, but it will get me to Glamis twice a year for shorter trips that don't want to use the MoHo.  I'll drive the truck for the next 15 years, will probably put less than 40k on it over that time period as its not a DD, and I won't have lost $30k in depreciation or spent $10k on fuel system repairs.  The money I'm not spending on the costs of a fancy truck will build my shop at home in 3-5 years time.  

Edited by evantwheeler

16 hours ago, Mac said:

I'm looking at new trucks.  Going to buy one this week.  I've been pretty set on a new diesel but...

I'm hearing the problems with the new diesels with all the emissions stuff and now the DEF...that the diesels might not be the best option.  I looked up specs on the Chevys/GMCs and there is no difference in tow capacity, but obviously HP and torque are WAY different.  I've owned both, I can maintain both.  I have not owned a newer, smog motor diesel and I have never towed a big trailer with anything but a diesel.

I tow from San Diego to Imperial Valley roughly twice a year.  Tow out at the beginning of the season, tow back at the end of the season.  So it will result in minimal towing and pretty much flat terrain.  Other than that, the truck will be a daily driver.

So...what says you GD.com?  

I might have missed it but how big and heavy is your trailer.   I have a attitude 27 that I tow with an f150 eco boost with max tow package.     It pulls and handles better then both my old 7.3 and my 6.0 power strokes.     The truck revs low like a diesel.   It has a boxed frame.   Weighs around 6700 lbs.   it’s a solid truck.      My trailer is about 32 overall.   

& FWIW I asked a well known dodge mechanic here in town, "If I handed you my check book & said "go buy any truck you want from 95 to 2018" (this was last year), what truck would you buy?". 

He said "a 99 or 00" & put some money into making the trans solid, update the fuel system & put a little HP into it.   I work on the new trucks EVERY day & most of what I do is emissions related. They DONT have it figured out.". 

Bob

We have a gasser ('19 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi) and a diesel ('11 Silverado 2500).  Obviously I only tow the 5'er with the D'max, but I've towed our 24' enclosed with 2 SxSs or 1 SxS and the BFD with the RAM.  Of course, that trailer is very light (less than 3k lbs empty) for its size.  Even towing only something like 7k lbs with the gasser, I can tell you it does it very easily and is rated for way more (11,600 on her 1500 IIRC) but it's just a zillion times nicer with the diesel.  

I've owned my diesel since new.  The maintenance costs really aren't higher, because you do the changes less (well, in theory, I over-do maintenance but that is on me, not the vehicle).  The resale is also, way, way, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY higher.  I've been offered $40k for my truck as it sits within the last year.  It's at something like 112k miles and nicely modded/super clean... but you are NOT going to get more than like $10k for a 2011 gas 2500 with 112k miles.  

I enjoy driving the 1500 a lot, the 5.7 and 8 speed are fun and even thought it's a minor difference in overall size it "feels" smaller in traffic.  Also it has coil-spring suspension front and rear and the '19 interior with the big 12"+ screen is insane.  However, if it were as big and heavy as my truck (aka a gasser 2500) and leaf spring I think I'd take my truck over it any day of the week.  My truck is actually rather fun to drive, and it's not really fair comparing interiors (even though mine is nicely upgraded) on a '11 vs. the new '19+ RAM interior.  

I only skimmed the thread, so I didn't catch how many miles you drive daily... but you have to weigh MPG too.  Right now diesel is actually cheaper, and you'll get better MPG in the diesel 3/4 or 1 ton.   A gas 1/2 ton might approach a diesel 3/4 or 1 ton for MPG, but it sounds like a 1/2 ton is out of the question. 

Another option, but why not just keep your current/old truck or buy a "beater" truck to move the trailer around and get a fun DD/commuter?  If you only do the long tow once each way per year, then a 25 mile flat tow to/from storage a late GM 454 truck ('96-00) would do the job, or even an earlier '01+ era 8.1 (bonus if you find the Allison).   Then get a 3-year old 335i for about 40% of new for a fun DD/commuter.  All for less total $ than a new 3/4-1 ton diesel.  You can send me the extra $. 

-TJ

I think poule43 said everything I was going to say.  You arrive a few minutes later then the diesel truck and save a bunch of money on the front, middle, and the backend.

Gas!

Evolution of GD.com or Crumble of Diesel Truck MFG?

I hear people say it's a CA ARB Thing....but even Zonies can't argue that the maintenance of these Trucks have finally Jumped the Shark in terms of what is reasonable for the Average Joe.

Mob of Average Joe's 10 years ago on here would have lynched you for anything less then a Diesel.

:js:

You guys are all killing me.

I'm not going to rent and I am going to buy new.  It's my money...I'll do what I want... :lol:

I have owned a Ford...liked it a lot.  I only got rid of it because I needed a 3/4 ton.  I just got rid of the Dodge...hated it since the day I bought it.  I don't care if Dodges are dipped in gold and they give them away...never again!  Besides the Cummins...it was a f*cking Yugo with a truck bed.

I've never owned a Chevy/GMC.  I've always felt the rode/drove the best.  I want comfort now without doing anything aftermarket to it to get it to ride right.  

So next question...does anyone REALLY see any difference in a straight 4x4 vs the whole Z71 package?  I'm not going to be offloading this thing...just using 4x4 to get out if I get stuck. (yeah...I pretty much answered my own questions there).

3 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Evolution of GD.com or Crumble of Diesel Truck MFG?

I hear people say it's a CA ARB Thing....but even Zonies can't argue that the maintenance of these Trucks have finally Jumped the Shark in terms of what is reasonable for the Average Joe.

Mob of Average Joe's 10 years ago on here would have lynched you for anything less then a Diesel.

:js:

Yeah...my truck was a '06...no emissions crap.  

I went looking at trucks this afternoon...They only had one 3/4 ton gasser on the lot.

And WTF is up with only black interior these days?  Why advertise and offer other colors if they are only special order?  I seriously do not want black interior.

Buy Chevy/GMC and never look back IMHO...

Eff Ford and Dodge POS Trucks.

:moof:

19 minutes ago, Mac said:

I've never owned a Chevy/GMC.  I've always felt the rode/drove the best.  I want comfort now without doing anything aftermarket to it to get it to ride right.  

So next question...does anyone REALLY see any difference in a straight 4x4 vs the whole Z71 package?  I'm not going to be offloading this thing...just using 4x4 to get out if I get stuck. (yeah...I pretty much answered my own questions there).

You asked for opinions, and you got them!

I put 60k on a 2017 F250 extended cab short bed with the 6.2L gas engine.  The 6.2L never got better than 14mpg, and I felt it was extremely anemic for it's displacement.  The truck rode like SHIT!  It had this nasty shimmy where if you hit a bump or pothole around a curve you'd end up in the other lane or on the shoulder.  Guaranteed half a lane switch every time.  It was a miracle it never happend when someone was beside me.  We had 4 identical trucks, they all did the same thing.  Not sure if the horrible ride was due to the suspension or the face that the aluminum body was too light for the suspension.  You'd think they would account for the lighter body during design, but maybe the lazy Ford engineers just kept using the same springs and shocks?  I dunno.   Bottom line, if you buy a brand new Ford, put $5k or so away for a Carli kit to make it ride as it should.  I loved the Ford other than the ride and perceived low power output from the 6.2l.  The sticker on the truck was $35k purchased through a corporate fleet account.  Note that insurance will be more for the Ford because of the cost to repair the aluminum body. 

If it were my money, the only gasoline engine I would buy would be a GM product.  Ford has a great fleet program which attracts lots of corporate money and puts a lot of trucks on the road, but no one other than GM has the track record for longevity of gasoline engines.  I would buy a gas engine with no variable valve bullshit, just another thing to go wrong.  

You will not find a GM 6.2l engine in a 3/4ton pickup.  They're not designed to be work engines and are only offered in the 1500 series.  Only the 6.0l is offered since the 8.1l was retired.  I read earlier in the thread and confirmed through google that they are now offering a 6.6l gas engine in the HD truck line for 2020.  That is intriguing, but I'd buy a used truck before I bought a 2020 because GM missed the mark on exterior and interior by about 100% on their new trucks in my opinion.  

Edit - just saw the 2020 6.6 is only backed by a 6 speed transmission.  With today's drivetrain technology, that is a total fail.  It needs more gears to keep in the torqe curve of the engine.  You could get a 6 speed allison backed 8.1l in 2005 or 2006 for christ sakes. 

Edited by evantwheeler

13 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Buy Chevy/GMC and never look back IMHO...

Eff Ford and Dodge POS Trucks.

:moof:

What about the Ram trucks? Dodge hasn't made a truck since 2009. The Ram trucks sure look nice. Haven't driven/riden in one so not sure about the comfort/power/reliability but they look good on the road.

19 minutes ago, Mac said:

I'm not going to rent and I am going to buy new.  It's my money...I'll do what I want... :lol:

I have owned a Ford...liked it a lot.  I only got rid of it because I needed a 3/4 ton.  I just got rid of the Dodge...hated it since the day I bought it.  I don't care if Dodges are dipped in gold and they give them away...never again!  Besides the Cummins...it was a f*cking Yugo with a truck bed.

The only people more brainwashed than dodge owners are tundra owners. Biggest mistake i ever made was owning a tundra for 6 months based on the glowing reviews from tundra owners. What a pos

having had dodge chevy and ford, i say chevy. They all the cool stuff and ride like a cloud

The new Ford 7.3 sounds intriguing. Try one, then let us know how you like it.