Bobalos

Duning @ Gordons & Buttercup

Morning folks,

we normally camp by the tracks around wash 10, but thought it might be cool to try something "south".  we have never camped down there & dont know anything about bathrooms, locations, camping spots, etc.

we have a number of bigger RV's & My truck is a 2x4 Dodge (with a 26' enclosed) that could get stuck on the 8 freeway if enough sand blew across it.......  My concern is that the camping areas are soft & it would make getting in & out difficult w/o getting our rigs stuck.  Is this a real concern or has what Ive heard been blown out of proportion? 

I have to be honest, I dont know exactly where Buttercup, Grays wells, Dune Buggy Flats or any of that exactly is.  Im fixin to see if I cant find a good map of the area & figure out what options we have.

You will for sure get stuck at Gordons.  Unless you camp right behind the bathrooms at the entrance.

Buttercup has more hard pack areas for camping.

Right by the ranger station, there is a large area to camp.

Midway is down the road a bit, heading West.  That is all rock solid ground, basically graded gravel/hardpack.

Buttercup dunes are small for rails.  You can cover the whole thing in about 20 mins.

There are a few large bowls that are fun to get zipping on.

Gordon's is horrible now for rails after the closures.

Fun for SXS's.

Buttercup is on the South side of I8, Grays Wells exit.

Gordon's is on the North side of I8.

^^^ pretty much right on d money.

That's where we started. Then graduated to the washes of Mother G! Have fun! Peace

I just looked @ the map a little closer & figured out the difference between Grays, Gordons, Buttercup & Dune Buggy Flats.  your descriptions based on the satellite image (& what I know of Glamis) paints a picture for me. 

thanks again for the input.

bob

I've gotten the camper stuck 3-4 times in the ISDRA.  Every single time it's been the sand pit heading north (towards "third base") just after the bathrooms and just north of the 1st base line.  It's mostly hardpack down the "1st base" line towards what's left of Vendors Row.  Since there's a lot less traffic, it's definitely less compacted than it used to be, so be prepared to end up on the strap.  My Class C has a front hitch because of Gordon's.

Ghetto map:

Gordons.thumb.png.83df3ea513d18613f149802a2052c869.png

Another option is full hookups at the RV parks there, but finding their contact information isn't the easiest thing in the world (Google doesn't yield much).  

@Rockwood, thats awesome. 

thanks

Bob

Gordon’s is where we called our duning home for a very very long time. My dad and his parents have been going out to the south dunes for ~46 years now so safe to say they know the spot really well. Whoever says the dunes suck down there hasn’t been on a run with the right group IMO. There are some really fun dunes that click very well and flow for awhile. We still split about half of our trips between Gordon’s and Glamis during the season. The dunes in Glamis are bigger and more expansive but there is still plenty of fun to be had in Gordon’s. The map @Rockwood put together is a great way to show how not to get stuck. NEVER GO DOWN THE MIDDLE. That’s where the pits are. Hug the south canal to the right towards 1st base. When you get to the 3rd power pole hook a left towards 2nd base and stay up on top of the “pad”. You can clearly see where it dives off, anything farther in is very soft. Last time we camped there we had 67 people in everything from small toy hauler to diesel pushers with stackers. No one got stuck. But you do have to keep momentum, which is sometimes hard on the rig. 

In terms of duning. The closures really put a damper on some of the bigger bowls there but there’s still plenty to play in. Download the Avenza Maps app and it’ll show where all the closures are. The best lines tend to run “East to west” and are closure to the west side. The dunes have the tendency to be in ridges more so in Gordon’s that Glamis. Test, or freeway hill is along the south canal and 8 freeway. It’s a fun place for the kids to hang out as well because you can get to the hill by going down in the old canal bank from dune buggy flats. The dunes on the backside or ridge 1 of test hill are an absolute blast but tends to be the first ones that get chopped up on a busy weekend. Patton hill is valley #5 from the freeway. It can only legally be accessed by the dunes. So a long dune run there is a great time. All of the dunes on the backside of Patton are open and some dune all the way up to Glamis from there (I’ve never done it, seems like a trek). 

We’ll be doing quite a few trips down there this season and staying at the Gordon’s well camp ground which is also a great place to stay. Power and hookups, no dust, walking distance to Duners Diner, an entrance to the dunes and 5 mile drop, and you won’t get stuck. @Reece and I spend a lot of time down there so let us know when you go and maybe we can all hook up for a ride. Have fun! Let me know if you have any more questions. I don’t know a ton about buttercup but know quite a bit about Gordon’s 

Another thing to add: if you have a group of quads or just sxs the east side of the dunes is like a berm track and is rarely ever chopped up. Makes for a rip of a ride but is a bit tight for buggies. All in all Glamis is better for all around, bigger dunes, more expansive, more “sites” but Gordon’s and the south dunes are an absolute blast and worth going, especially To escape the crowds on a busy weekend. 

Edited by acefuture

1 hour ago, acefuture said:

Gordon’s is where we called our duning home for a very very long time. My dad and his parents have been going out to the south dunes for ~46 years now so safe to say they know the spot really well. Whoever says the dunes suck down there hasn’t been on a run with the right group IMO. There are some really fun dunes that click very well and flow for awhile. We still split about half of our trips between Gordon’s and Glamis during the season. The dunes in Glamis are bigger and more expansive but there is still plenty of fun to be had in Gordon’s. The map @Rockwood put together is a great way to show how not to get stuck. NEVER GO DOWN THE MIDDLE. That’s where the pits are. Hug the south canal to the right towards 1st base. When you get to the 3rd power pole hook a left towards 2nd base and stay up on top of the “pad”. You can clearly see where it dives off, anything farther in is very soft. Last time we camped there we had 67 people in everything from small toy hauler to diesel pushers with stackers. No one got stuck. But you do have to keep momentum, which is sometimes hard on the rig. 

In terms of duning. The closures really put a damper on some of the bigger bowls there but there’s still plenty to play in. Download the Avenza Maps app and it’ll show where all the closures are. The best lines tend to run “East to west” and are closure to the west side. The dunes have the tendency to be in ridges more so in Gordon’s that Glamis. Test, or freeway hill is along the south canal and 8 freeway. It’s a fun place for the kids to hang out as well because you can get to the hill by going down in the old canal bank from dune buggy flats. The dunes on the backside or ridge 1 of test hill are an absolute blast but tends to be the first ones that get chopped up on a busy weekend. Patton hill is valley #5 from the freeway. It can only legally be accessed by the dunes. So a long dune run there is a great time. All of the dunes on the backside of Patton are open and some dune all the way up to Glamis from there (I’ve never done it, seems like a trek). 

We’ll be doing quite a few trips down there this season and staying at the Gordon’s well camp ground which is also a great place to stay. Power and hookups, no dust, walking distance to Duners Diner, an entrance to the dunes and 5 mile drop, and you won’t get stuck. @Reece and I spend a lot of time down there so let us know when you go and maybe we can all hook up for a ride. Have fun! Let me know if you have any more questions. I don’t know a ton about buttercup but know quite a bit about Gordon’s 

Another thing to add: if you have a group of quads or just sxs the east side of the dunes is like a berm track and is rarely ever chopped up. Makes for a rip of a ride but is a bit tight for buggies. All in all Glamis is better for all around, bigger dunes, more expansive, more “sites” but Gordon’s and the south dunes are an absolute blast and worth going, especially To escape the crowds on a busy weekend. 

I could run Gordon's blindfolded.  Did it for years, so I knew those ranges.

They suck now for a car.

You said it, flow for a while.  Like 15 secs "a while".  LOL

Don't waste your time. DON~~~

My favorite sand at Gordon's is just north and east of Freeway (test) hill.    There  is still some real good stuff in there where I can get some good rhythm.

I thought he was asking about Buttercup?

Really good advise here. Rockwood and acefuture know their stuff. I love Gordon’s. That’s where i spent a lot of years growing up. I love riding there even with the closures. It’s less crowded on the busy weekends but still enough people to have fun at the hill and drags. 
Just remember, it is soft. When you’re coming in, keep your foot in it. We will be there the week of thanksgiving, hope to see you there. 

If you want to run the Gordon’s dunes, avoid a lot of the closures, keep away from crowds, and park where it is hard than you should think about Ogilby. I will be out there the weekend before Halloween from Friday-Sunday.

9 hours ago, big_daddy_jp said:

If you want to run the Gordon’s dunes, avoid a lot of the closures, keep away from crowds, and park where it is hard than you should think about Ogilby. I will be out there the weekend before Halloween from Friday-Sunday.

Are there bathrooms there? 

How is the ride in.  it looks like a "dirt road" from the satelite image.

Is that a big cell tower there @ the end of the road? 

Is that where you camp?

thanks

That is a cell tower you see. I used to camp that area for years but now I’ve moved further down Ogilby. I will attach a picture to show where I camp. The area by the cell tower can get soft at times along with numerous other areas around there. The new area I camp is hard ground. Tons of diesel pushers with stackers camp in the area on big weekends. As for bathrooms, there are none on the Ogilby side. With that being said, over at Gordon’s, there are only a couple restrooms right at the entrance. As said before, you can run through the dunes at Buttercup in 30min. Camping at Gordon’s now with the closures pretty much sucks. All of the closures run along the sand highway so the only LEGAL way into the dunes from the Gordon’s side is to enter closer to the canal that runs next to the 8 freeway. If you camp on the Ogilby side, you have access to all of the dunes from any direction without hitting a closure. Also, since the closures run along the sand highway, you can’t enter the valley to get to Patton’s either but the valley is open on the Ogilby side. So the only way to Patton’s LEGALLY is to either dune there ( dodging closures along the way ), or through Ogilby. Ogilby camp ground is cool and close to the dunes and Patton’s but the road in is long and can get really soft at times so I don’t recommend that for you. Lastly, one exit down from Ogilby is Side Winder. They have a gas station and carry race fuel in jugs along with a little store. They also have a dump station and fresh water hose. A lot of amenities close if needed. I will try to post a pic of where I camp.

966F7B07-8378-4420-A750-09C5B487E8FD.jpeg

D1BAAF76-374F-4F49-9482-BB854B458511.jpeg

Oh I forgot to mention, on the other side of Ogilby road, used to be free camping but I’m not sure anymore. That whole are is hard and has many trails and wash roads. If you take those roads into the mountains, you will find a bunch of abandoned gold mines and cool things to check out. 

First of all "for sure you will get stuck "?? I guess no one has ever been stuck in Glamis, I think I'll petition for renaming it the No Stuck Zone. Never seen a thread on GD.com about Help I'm stuck in wash .... 

Yes Gordons CAN be soft, get out and walk it. As people mentioned hug the canals, there is PLENTY of room for huge groups,  and you dont have to pay someone to "camp" for you 2 weeks early.

Been doing Gordon's for 20+ years got stuck ONCE, last year.

Dunes are not as fun, not as big and with the closures much smaller areas.

For weekends like Veterans and  Thanksgiving I stay down there. 20 or 25 minutes down sand hiway I can be at Gecko road.

If you are staying at wash 22, it will take as long to Olds as a car from Gordon's. 

If your group have SXS'S, kids, family oriented,  etc you will love it.

I prefer Gecko road, I have a pusher and getting stuck sucks, and the dunes are better, but dont believe the South dunes should never be visited.

29 minutes ago, 2011BFD said:

First of all "for sure you will get stuck "?? I guess no one has ever been stuck in Glamis, I think I'll petition for renaming it the No Stuck Zone. Never seen a thread on GD.com about Help I'm stuck in wash .... 

Yes Gordons CAN be soft, get out and walk it. As people mentioned hug the canals, there is PLENTY of room for huge groups,  and you dont have to pay someone to "camp" for you 2 weeks early.

Been doing Gordon's for 20+ years got stuck ONCE, last year.

Dunes are not as fun, not as big and with the closures much smaller areas.

For weekends like Veterans and  Thanksgiving I stay down there. 20 or 25 minutes down sand hiway I can be at Gecko road.

If you are staying at wash 22, it will take as long to Olds as a car from Gordon's. 

I prefer Gecko road, I have a pusher and getting stuck sucks, and the dunes are better, but dont believe the South dunes should never be visited.

LOL, I think everyone is basing it off of our own experiences there (especially since the closures) and this statement:

On 10/17/2019 at 6:33 AM, Bobalos said:

Morning folks,

we normally camp by the tracks around wash 10, but thought it might be cool to try something "south".  we have never camped down there & dont know anything about bathrooms, locations, camping spots, etc.

we have a number of bigger RV's & My truck is a 2x4 Dodge (with a 26' enclosed) that could get stuck on the 8 freeway if enough sand blew across it.......  My concern is that the camping areas are soft & it would make getting in & out difficult w/o getting our rigs stuck.  Is this a real concern or has what Ive heard been blown out of proportion? 

I have to be honest, I dont know exactly where Buttercup, Grays wells, Dune Buggy Flats or any of that exactly is.  Im fixin to see if I cant find a good map of the area & figure out what options we have.

The best way to keep from getting stuck at Gordon’s is to hug the canal sides and NEVER I repeat NEVER go straight up the middle towards second base!!! There is a soup hole out there that consumes campers for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!!! 

I have a 2x4 with a 27' toy hauler with a full size 4 seat car in it, I can get in and out just fine. For navigating the closures, the best thing is downloading the Avenza Maps app and then downloading the "BLM - Imperial Sand Dunes" Map in the app and it'll show you where you are at all times. It's great for navigating the dunes. Here's a screen shot with a rough highlight of where the fun dunes are in Gordon's.  Unfortunately some of the good one's are in the closure, but still a good time! If you are worried about getting stuck, and would like to stay at the Gordon's well campground let me know, I can give you Tomas, the keeper of the grounds number. He's a great guy and very accommodating.

dunes.thumb.jpg.04a628c8265ce2de1c4989a1ff834391.jpg

Yea......... Im a special kind of stupid & in the last 6 years have manged to get my truck/Trailer stuck 3 times getting out to wash road.  fortunately the folks I camp with helped me out & got me going.  LOL. 

We have a few big cars & a number of SxS's & bikes/Quads.  its a very family oriented group (albeit, they are all much bigger now). 

thanks!

3 hours ago, 2011BFD said:

but dont believe the South dunes should never be visited.

Thanks for the information, something Id like to try.... 

Got a rough idea how far this is up the road?  3 miles 5 miles?  I think I might drive out there & take a peak & see what I see.  Ive never been up there. 

3 hours ago, big_daddy_jp said:

966F7B07-8378-4420-A750-09C5B487E8FD.jpeg

Maybe a mile or so. You will see it easy enough during the day. A little bit of a pain in the dark if you’ve never been there.

Most of my group won’t be able to make it next weekend. With that said, your more than welcome to camp with us. A buggy, a sxs, and some quads is what we have to offer. Let me know. Would love to show some newbies around.