b1stin

Tailgate theft

Yesterday morning 2 turds stole my tailgate off my 2014 Ford F350 right in front of my house. Second time in 6 months!! After the first time I keep it parked backed up to my garage but I had my trailer connected and had to park it on the street. It was locked and I also had an after market hinge lock that was supposed to prevent it from being removed off the hinges.  Didn't work, just slowed them down by a few seconds.  Got it on video and police report filed.  Any body have any luck with any other locking system to keep this from happening? I'm out of ideas other than putting a clasp and paddle lock  on the tail gate red neck style! Any ideas?

Mike

How are they removing it if locked? I always lock mine.

Harbor freight remote motion sensor and a .357 mag will put a stop to it

3 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

I had mine locked and left the truck overnight at my shop. Next day still had a tailgate, but they sure effed it up trying to take it. My toyhauler used to get broken into like twice a month. I quit locking it and left it empty. Problem solved. Awesome world we have created

4C4057D2-F684-47EE-9927-37192D6BD27E.jpeg

D63D99D3-8F58-40FC-B65E-951B551810D6.jpeg

Edited by sausage450r

6 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

So, are you saying you had the tailgate locked ~ locked? Double locked?

5 minutes ago, RK Racing said:

So, are you saying you had the tailgate locked ~ locked? Double locked?

WTF?

8 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

I had mine locked and left the truck overnight at my shop. Next day still had a tailgate, but they sure effed it up trying to take it. My toyhauler used to get broken into like twice a month. I quit locking it and left it empty. Problem solved. Awesome world we have created

4C4057D2-F684-47EE-9927-37192D6BD27E.jpeg

D63D99D3-8F58-40FC-B65E-951B551810D6.jpeg

Not worth much if they trash it....

5 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

Not worth much if they trash it....

WTF?

6 minutes ago, RK Racing said:

WTF?

You fukkking with me or what?

When I got mine it had a cover on it, It has a lock and I was told ( because the original was stolen) to keep it locked at all times. He also has a couple of hose clamps to make it harder to remove after you get the tailgate open.

I was warned a replacement tailgate is not cheap.....

What was the secondary hinge lock you have? I have a hose clamp on the slotted end of the tailgate and have it positioned that head of the Screw is hard to access

6 minutes ago, FAMILY OF 4 said:

What was the secondary hinge lock you have? I have a hose clamp on the slotted end of the tailgate and have it positioned that head of the Screw is hard to access

Couple of tack welds would help too. 

Geeze... that's super ghetto. I consider my neighborhood in Laguna Hills to be nice.. well that was several years ago. It's still nice, but not far from the freeway and it seems there are more and more meth heads about. .. 

... I have TONS of security cameras.. that didn't stop one meth head from trying all the car door handles up and down the street and going through the mail sitting in my driveway (from 2am until 4am). It took me a full day to compile all the footage of this loser for the police.

About 2 months ago, a freak was jacking off, pants down right across the street as my wife and 13 year old were headed to school. Multiple sex offender, got him on film as well and I expect they're finally going to toss the key on this dude, currently awaiting trial... ugh.

It wasn't until I purchased a bunch of these that signs that things seem to be better. I have 2 trees on either side of the front of my property and each has this sign at about 4 feet up the tree. Have one at my back yard fence which faces wilderness/bike/dog trails, as well as one right at my front door as you walk up.

IMO the criminals don't notice the cameras, but I think the signs work. Mine are like 16"x10". Maybe if you already have cameras, get some signs. I don't recommend the ones that are green, or brown and look nice cause they'll blend in with your house. My signs make it look like I'm a 7-11, but I don't care. I want people to be alert.... no afraid.. when they approach my house. 

image.png.b67512f9ab9fb4a29ab0ff64cf9f63c8.png

PS. I was 1/2 way through a big 16 camera installation at my Mom's house in Rialto (nice part of Rialto, where Gil from Funco lived -RIP) and before they were hooked up, 3 hoodrats followed my Mom from the gas station and attacked her from behind sneaking up as she got out of her car in her driveway. They even took off their shoes so she couldn't hear their steps from behind.

Tons of cameras, but no signs and they weren't hooked up yet. They threw her to the ground, dragging her down the driveway while she held onto her purse. After they pried it and her phone came out, she goes to grab it and they kick her. Fortunately she was not seriously injured. 

The hoodrats had been reeking havoc all over town and other camera's in the neighborhood led to their arrest/capture. Three punks 16, 17 and 18. All are headed to jail/prison. My Mom is 73 and under 5 feet tall. 

Had I been there, they would be dead people. My Mom has 2 pitbulls who were barking like crazy behind the gate. My Step-Dad was inside and never knew it happened. Now Mom, backs into her driveway and does situational awareness before entering her house.

Doubt this happens in AZ or TX where just about everyone is packing. .. just sayin'

Finally, I would suggest setting up some kind of electrocution boobie trap on your tail gate, but of course in CA, YOU would be charged with a crime if they got zapped. Maybe some strategically placed razor blades....

Edited by ANGRYBUTTCRACK

1 hour ago, b1stin said:

Yesterday morning 2 turds stole my tailgate off my 2014 Ford F350 right in front of my house. Second time in 6 months!! After the first time I keep it parked backed up to my garage but I had my trailer connected and had to park it on the street. It was locked and I also had an after market hinge lock that was supposed to prevent it from being removed off the hinges.  Didn't work, just slowed them down by a few seconds.  Got it on video and police report filed.  Any body have any luck with any other locking system to keep this from happening? I'm out of ideas other than putting a clasp and paddle lock  on the tail gate red neck style! Any ideas?

Mike

Is yours the black Ford Platinum in Eastvale posted on FB?

EFF!

I get so pissed hearing about this crap!

I don't know if I could contain myself if I were to ever catch someone and could beat them...not sure I could stop whaling on them...I'd be the one in trouble too!

:pipe: Thieves :9mm: 

1 hour ago, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

Geeze... that's super ghetto. I consider my neighborhood in Laguna Hills to be nice.. well that was several years ago. It's still nice, but not far from the freeway and it seems there are more and more meth heads about. .. 

... I have TONS of security cameras.. that didn't stop one meth head from trying all the car door handles up and down the street and going through the mail sitting in my driveway (from 2am until 4am). It took me a full day to compile all the footage of this loser for the police.

About 2 months ago, a freak was jacking off, pants down right across the street as my wife and 13 year old were headed to school. Multiple sex offender, got him on film as well and I expect they're finally going to toss the key on this dude, currently awaiting trial... ugh.

It wasn't until I purchased a bunch of these that signs that things seem to be better. I have 2 trees on either side of the front of my property and each has this sign at about 4 feet up the tree. Have one at my back yard fence which faces wilderness/bike/dog trails, as well as one right at my front door as you walk up.

IMO the criminals don't notice the cameras, but I think the signs work. Mine are like 16"x10". Maybe if you already have cameras, get some signs. I don't recommend the ones that are green, or brown and look nice cause they'll blend in with your house. My signs make it look like I'm a 7-11, but I don't care. I want people to be alert.... no afraid.. when they approach my house. 

image.png.b67512f9ab9fb4a29ab0ff64cf9f63c8.png

PS. I was 1/2 way through a big 16 camera installation at my Mom's house in Rialto (nice part of Rialto, where Gil from Funco lived -RIP) and before they were hooked up, 3 hoodrats followed my Mom from the gas station and attacked her from behind sneaking up as she got out of her car in her driveway. They even took off their shoes so she couldn't hear their steps from behind.

Tons of cameras, but no signs and they weren't hooked up yet. They threw her to the ground, dragging her down the driveway while she held onto her purse. After they pried it and her phone came out, she goes to grab it and they kick her. Fortunately she was not seriously injured. 

The hoodrats had been reeking havoc all over town and other camera's in the neighborhood led to their arrest/capture. Three punks 16, 17 and 18. All are headed to jail/prison. My Mom is 73 and under 5 feet tall. 

Had I been there, they would be dead people. My Mom has 2 pitbulls who were barking like crazy behind the gate. My Step-Dad was inside and never knew it happened. Now Mom, backs into her driveway and does situational awareness before entering her house.

Doubt this happens in AZ or TX where just about everyone is packing. .. just sayin'

Finally, I would suggest setting up some kind of electrocution boobie trap on your tail gate, but of course in CA, YOU would be charged with a crime if they got zapped. Maybe some strategically placed razor blades....

So sorry to hear about your mom.  Hopefully she has no lingering injuries.

I'm going to have my wife read this because she just won't listen to me about precaution and safety (I'll spare the details), and puts herself in vulnerable positions.  And of course she won't learn to use and carry a gun like I do.

Yeah, what aftermarket lock do you have?

I added one to my truck after my gate was stolen.

That sucks.

My gate on my 2012 F350 was $7400 when it was all said and done.  That is what insurance paid. 

2 minutes ago, lincster said:

Yeah, what aftermarket lock do you have?

I added one to my truck after my gate was stolen.

That sucks.

My gate on my 2012 F350 was $7400 when it was all said and done.  That is what insurance paid. 

That amount is absolutely shocking to me!

My 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 has no lock.  Are all truck tailgates in demand, or only certain models?

44 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

That amount is absolutely shocking to me!

My 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 has no lock.  Are all truck tailgates in demand, or only certain models?

It is shocking the amount they charge for a normal tailgate with a back up camera.  can you imagine  the cost for the new ones that fold 10 different ways.

And yes most tailgates are in demand by thieves.  It is an easy pawn  to a junk yard or Craigslist sale and as soon as they steal one there is a demand for one.

3 hours ago, ahipara 55 said:

Popped out the lock

3 hours ago, MWB said:

When I got mine it had a cover on it, It has a lock and I was told ( because the original was stolen) to keep it locked at all times. He also has a couple of hose clamps to make it harder to remove after you get the tailgate open.

I was warned a replacement tailgate is not cheap.....

$6900 from Ford

1 minute ago, MWB said:

It is shocking the amount they charge for a normal tailgate with a back up camera.  can you imagine  the cost for the new ones that fold 10 different ways.

And yes most tailgates are in demand by thieves.  It is an easy pawn  to a junk yard or Craigslist sale and as soon as they steal one there is a demand for one.

Yeah I forgot about that recent commercial where everyone is looking in awe at all those folding tailgates.  I'll bet in the near future those will be at the top of the list for thieves.

3 hours ago, FAMILY OF 4 said:

I had the hose clamp style lock but it only slowed them down

4 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Yeah I forgot about that recent commercial where everyone is looking in awe at all those folding tailgates.  I'll bet in the near future those will be at the top of the list for thieves.

They have been a hot item for many years now..... Too many.

1 hour ago, ladsm said:

Is yours the black Ford Platinum in Eastvale posted on FB?

No, n Murrieta (I thought was a nice neighborhood!)