b1stin

Tailgate theft

On 10/25/2019 at 8:03 PM, mellen_mpz said:

That's the one I had on. Just slowed them down.  they broke it off.  Found one on Amazon that is made of metal and bolts to the bed above the hinge that I ordered. Hopefully that will work

15 minutes ago, JDMeister said:

Or, a switch that energizes a cattle prod when the tailgate is opened.

How about 50,000 volt taser with video to record the fun...

8 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

How about 50,000 volt taser with video to record the fun...

If posted that would be definitely the most viewed topic on glamis Dunes.com or YouTube or....... Like the guy that wires up bicycles to a tree and then videotapes people trying to steal it.

13 minutes ago, b1stin said:

Found one on Amazon that is made of metal and bolts to the bed above the hinge that I ordered. Hopefully that will work

If possible please post the link, thank you.

This one?

CC14FF9D-299F-4A1F-923C-7B5FF485D495.png

5 hours ago, b1stin said:

That's the one I had on. Just slowed them down.  they broke it off.  Found one on Amazon that is made of metal and bolts to the bed above the hinge that I ordered. Hopefully that will work

Just went and looked at mine and found the clasp/ cable unhooked.   Looks like someone already tried to jack it!

53978.jpeg

52 minutes ago, mellen_mpz said:

53978.jpeg

That there is another idea!!!! Make it to where you have to use the torx screw to unscrew the cable thus eliminating the quick disconnect cable.

They'll just cut the cable.

5 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

They'll just cut the cable.

Well..... give me credit for brainstorming at least.........lol.

OK, plus 50 points!    :thumbup:

7 hours ago, RK Racing said:

This one?

CC14FF9D-299F-4A1F-923C-7B5FF485D495.png

Yep, that's the one!

OK, so far this seems the best route.  1) wired up pin switch to the tailgate that will send your alarm off if they open up the tailgate.  2) I am going to machine some kind of a stainless steel ( as thick as I can make it due to clearance issue ) collar that goes around that hinge area that screws together that will not be breakable and have hidden and or buried screws in it to take it apart.

27 minutes ago, RK Racing said:

OK, so far this seems the best route.  1) wired up pin switch to the tailgate that will send your alarm off if they open up the tailgate.  2) I am going to machine some kind of a stainless steel ( as thick as I can make it due to clearance issue ) collar that goes around that hinge area that screws together that will not be breakable and have hidden and or buried screws in it to take it apart.

Then they undue the cables and let it slam down on the bumper.

Maybe just put a bunch of stickers all over it so they see a lot of work to get them all off?

22 minutes ago, Air450 said:

Maybe just put a bunch of stickers all over it so they see a lot of work to get them all off?

That is why I want to remove the quick disconnect cables and make it a pain to unscrew them. I thought the newer trucks had that strut tailgate thing going on instead of cables?

Something like this but heavy duty. Bolt it in or use a hitch pin lock. Unlock it and throw it in the back when you need to use your bed/tailgate.

408821140_ScreenShot2019-10-28at8_22_51AM.thumb.png.35c2c037c271dcea556abdba6a26038c.png

19 minutes ago, Air450 said:

Something like this but heavy duty. Bolt it in or use a hitch pin lock. Unlock it and throw it in the back when you need to use your bed/tailgate.

408821140_ScreenShot2019-10-28at8_22_51AM.thumb.png.35c2c037c271dcea556abdba6a26038c.png

Come on now Big Daddy.... you know all thieves carry a cordless saws-all with them now a days.....  :bigrin             I remember back in the day when all the alarm systems for the ignition were getting more and more sophisticated, so I go what will all the thieves do next since it’s getting too hard to steal a car....that was about 15 years or more ago.... that started the CARJACK craze...... 

https://www.amazon.com/BLOCK-Tailgate-Cover-4-25-width/dp/B00BPE4AP6

Something like that, except affixed with two strips of aluminum flat stock (as trim) and a bunch of stainless screws?   I always hated that rocks and crap fell into that gap anyway whenever I carried gravel/soil/whatever.  Hell, even just that piece, plus a hose clamp behind it, might be enough.  There's got to be a point where laziness/fear of arrest kicks in and they move on, right?

Edited by Rockwood