Venom

X3 doors (opinions please)

I have been looking at doors for my X3 (4-seater) lately, and I have noticed that there are a ton of options. Some are skins that use the factory frames, and others are full custom frames and skin (I’m not really interested in buying the lowers and adding them to the factory doors). I have also noticed when reading up a little, that some doors don’t always fit well, and require a little “massaging” or “reworking” to install. I was going to wait until next year, but the more I look at my X3, the more I want to pull the trigger sooner, and put some on. With that being said, what are some of your recommendations and experiences with some of the aftermarket doors and their fit and finish? Which do you have, and if you had to do it all over again, would you go the same route? 

86697AB8-032C-4C24-B441-1ACBC23040F7.jpeg

Edited by Venom
Edited for clarity

Lower BRP door inserts fit well and do the job of not letting dirt in.  I like the look of TMW doors.  At the end of the day its just a door that serves no purpose other than flying open when you forget to latch them.   Save your money and buy a front end gusset kit, lower arm reinforcement and Whalen speed tune with Dynojet programmer. 

You will also need Eibach springs soon as the oem sag quickly.  

Edited by megadesertdiesel

46 minutes ago, megadesertdiesel said:

Lower BRP door inserts fit well and do the job of not letting dirt in.  I like the look of TMW doors.  At the end of the day its just a door that serves no purpose other than flying open when you forget to latch them.   Save your money and buy a front end gusset kit, lower arm reinforcement and Whalen speed tune with Dynojet programmer. 

You will also need Eibach springs soon as the oem sag quickly.  

Front end gusset kit is already done, and I have an Extreme lower arm reinforcement kit is sitting in the garage. Just haven’t gotten around to installing it yet. Full shock rework with springs will go down next year after I get through the holidays. I like the looks of full doors, and the idea of keeping dirt and debris out of the passenger compartment, so that’s why those are getting done soon. Not too fond of the looks of BRP lowers, or full doors, so that’s why i’m looking at aftermarket.

Have you considered buying the plastic lowers to match the uppers ? They are cheap on Amazon and the fit n finish is very nice for the price.  

6 hours ago, hondajimz said:

Have you considered buying the plastic lowers to match the uppers ? They are cheap on Amazon and the fit n finish is very nice for the price.  

X2...mine are metal lowers and look and fit great. 

Edited by bizness

6 hours ago, hondajimz said:

Yes, i’ve considered it, but I prefer the look of the aftermarket full one-piece aluminum door. I don’t mind paying the price for the aftermarket door, I am more interested in peoples experience with different manufacturers, and the final fit and finish of the product. A reasonable price, would just be a bonus.

Edited by Venom

I put the Extreme doors on mine. They’re just the skins and fit pretty well. I bought them raw and took them over to B&B and had them powder coated. They’ve got the black metallic down pretty close.  
The thing that bugged me the most is when you closed the doors you got a rattling sound. I added some foam around the contact points and it’s much nicer. 

EAB61BEE-A73C-4226-B4B4-ACD67EB72A6C.jpeg

7AB6CBC4-F10D-40C2-BF3F-0D35A5D4DE49.jpeg

2 hours ago, ROBERT L said:

I put the Extreme doors on mine. They’re just the skins and fit pretty well. I bought them raw and took them over to B&B and had them powder coated. They’ve got the black metallic down pretty close.  
The thing that bugged me the most is when you closed the doors you got a rattling sound. I added some foam around the contact points and it’s much nicer. 

EAB61BEE-A73C-4226-B4B4-ACD67EB72A6C.jpeg

7AB6CBC4-F10D-40C2-BF3F-0D35A5D4DE49.jpeg

Looks good!

My only concern with the  skins as opposed to the doors with the entire frame, would be that they might be flimsy. Rattling is something I can deal with, or do like you did, and foam it or glue down some upholstery.

Edited by Venom
spelling

If you’re looking for protection I would go with full door frames.  Skins are more for finishing off the look of the door.  One trip into some shrubbery with  the half doors  and the wife’s leg got scratched up they were done.  

Dirt specialties $599, I like the look and the fit and finish is good, No pics here but search X3 doors and its there.

Here is the link for dirt specialties 

https://dirtspecialties.com/

TMW would probable be your best bet for a full door.  Their fit and finish is always top notch and the pricing reflects it.  SDR also makes a full door for the X3.

In stock Matte Black

GD.com price 1100.00  

Door picture.jpg

18 minutes ago, GRANT@FUNCO said:

In stock Matte Black

GD.com price 1100.00  

Door picture.jpg

Those look nice! Is that just a door skin, or complete door with frame?

complete door with frame

Contacted Grant @ Funco, an he set me up with some of his doors.  Picked them up yesterday after work, only to get home and discover the power had been out since 1:30. After wrangling up a generator, and getting the refrigerators situated, I was able to start on the doors. Upon opening the box, I discovered everything to be packaged up pretty nicely, and the finish on the panels and frames looked great. One thing that wasn’t in the box, was instructions.  “I figured how hard could it be?” I’ve built cars, houses, power lines, electrical substations, etc., this should be a piece of cake. Well 3 hours in, with a small light and flashlight, and I had one side up. I called it a night, and messaged Grant to see if there were any instructions he could send, and he went as far as to offer up one of his guys (via. phone), to walk me through it. I didn’t take him up on it, because I figured I give it a shot when I got home, and had some light. 30 minutes was all it took

Anyways, if you’re looking for a nice set of doors, for a good price, and great customer service, look no further than Grant and his team at Funco. 

477989AA-06A7-4E7A-8B4F-7F959ADB83F3.jpeg

9B024141-DCC9-4F86-A826-FEF383AFBF58.jpeg

Edited by Venom
spelling

That looks very nice. 

Those look really good, right up there with the 1500+ price tag ones.  

1 hour ago, ROBERT L said:

That looks very nice. 

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Venom said:

Contacted Grant @ Funco, an he set me up with some of his doors.  Picked them up yesterday after work, only to get home and discover the power had been out since 1:30. After wrangling up a generator, and getting the refrigerators situated, I was able to start on the doors. Upon opening the box, I discovered everything to be packaged up pretty nicely, and the finish on the panels and frames looked great. One thing that wasn’t in the box, was instructions.  “I figured how hard could it be?” I’ve built cars, houses, power lines, electrical substations, etc., this should be a piece of cake. Well 3 hours in, with a small light and flashlight, and I had one side up. I called it a night, and messaged Grant to see if there were any instructions he could send, and he went as far as to offer up one of his guys (via. phone), to walk me through it. I didn’t take him up on it, because I figured I give it a shot when I got home, and had some light. 30 minutes was all it took

Anyways, if you’re looking for a nice set of doors, for a good price, and great customer service, look no further than Grant and his team at Funco. 

477989AA-06A7-4E7A-8B4F-7F959ADB83F3.jpeg

9B024141-DCC9-4F86-A826-FEF383AFBF58.jpeg

Those look really nice, good price too

I like that look are those skins or full frame?

2 hours ago, pokerjones said:

Full frame

3 hours ago, pokerjones said:

Yep, full frame. Just transfer your stock latches.