Sign in to follow this  
Casey4646

Pros and cons of 35.5/36” paddles vs 33” paddles

Other than the obvious, the way they look, what are the pros and cons of the bigger paddles versus the smaller paddles. I have a sequential and with 600 hp and can’t decide which ones to run. What does everyone like and don’t like about either one?

36# 2 for me

I went from 33 #2s to 36 #2s on my Potter and I preferred how it looked and how the bigger tire takes some of the chop out of the ride.  I didn't really notice a drastic difference with the higher COG.  The entire package was heavier, so it took a little shock tuning to make up for that.  All of that said, when I went to the 36"s is when I started breaking ring & pinions.  The season before on the 33"s I had 90-something days in G with lots of miles, no problems.  Then I did the first half of the next season on the 33"s, still no problems.  Then I switched to the 36"s and by Christmas time I had slaughtered a R&P.  Now, one could argue the R&P was getting ready to go anyway... I guess we'll never really know.  I killed another one in a season and a half or maybe two seasons after.  Again, we don't know if the 33"s would have ever made it a full season, but at least for me my troubles started w/ the 36"s.  That car was around 2600lbs (IIRC we weighed it at 2550 on the 33"s and the 36" were about 100lbs more total) and made between 518-589 RWHP depending on the exact combo.  The trans was a PBS (very similar in strength to a Mendi S4/5) with a 10" ring gear.   

Personally, I would't run 36"s again w/o a S4/5D or Albins (with their 11.5" ring gear).  Perhaps some of the Fortins too, but I don't know much about the Fortins.  35.5"s are more aggressive than 36"s, so I certainly wouldn't run them on a Meni S4/5 (non-D) or PBS.  

-TJ

Edited by tjZ06

@tjZ06 that was a really great response. That’s the kind of information I’m looking for. I have an S4 no D so that’s certainly a strong consideration. I just went from a 2D with the hopes of not having to put in new R&P every season and a half.

thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. 

S4s or pbs, I would stick with 33’s.  Couple guys in our group got just over 2 season each on the 36” blasters before the trans went.

With your power I would want a S4D, Fortin, or Albins for sure to turn the big tires.

1 hour ago, tjZ06 said:

I went from 33 #2s to 36 #2s on my Potter and I preferred how it looked and how the bigger tire takes some of the chop out of the ride.  I didn't really notice a drastic difference with the higher COG.  The entire package was heavier, so it took a little shock tuning to make up for that.  All of that said, when I went to the 36"s is when I started breaking ring & pinions.  The season before on the 33"s I had 90-something days in G with lots of miles, no problems.  Then I did the first half of the next season on the 33"s, still no problems.  Then I switched to the 36"s and by Christmas time I had slaughtered a R&P.  Now, one could argue the R&P was getting ready to go anyway... I guess we'll never really know.  I killed another one in a season and a half or maybe two seasons after.  Again, we don't know if the 33"s would have ever made it a full season, but at least for me my troubles started w/ the 36"s.  That car was around 2600lbs (IIRC we weighed it at 2550 on the 33"s and the 36" were about 100lbs more total) and made between 518-589 RWHP depending on the exact combo.  The trans was a PBS (very similar in strength to a Mendi S4/5) with a 10" ring gear.   

Personally, I would't run 36"s again w/o a S4/5D or Albins (with their 11.5" ring gear).  Perhaps some of the Fortins too, but I don't know much about the Fortins.  35.5"s are more aggressive than 36"s, so I certainly wouldn't run them on a Meni S4/5 (non-D) or PBS.  

-TJ

summed up nicely, ^^ that is about as accurate as you can put it. 

You guys are convincing me quickly! Looks like I’ll be picking up some 33’s

46 minutes ago, Casey4646 said:

@tjZ06 that was a really great response. That’s the kind of information I’m looking for. I have an S4 no D so that’s certainly a strong consideration. I just went from a 2D with the hopes of not having to put in new R&P every season and a half.

thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. 

Yeah... keep in mind your 2D had the same 10" ring gear as an S4S. 

1 minute ago, Casey4646 said:

You guys are convincing me quickly! Looks like I’ll be picking up some 33’s

Yup... don't got 36".  Of course, I'm the king of "do as I say, not as I do" and she sure was a looker on 36"s:

Potter2.thumb.jpg.a5b7a8b8b2abd6f83a19bae5d4289ece.jpg

Potter1.thumb.jpg.7a81aa3af03ad8ac8ecd34e65695c3d8.jpg

-TJ

I would say  buy what works not buy what just looks cool.May change your gearing enough to change your driving style as well as put more stress on the drivetrain too depending on what you have right now.

I am in agreement with TJZ06 from my experience - the higher load on the Stubs, the CVS and R&P are obvious, and the reduced gear ratio will raise top speed and let you wind out each a bit further (that can be good or bad),.

If you are doing it for looks - I would say give it real deep thought....

But what I also have seen is that the Higher CG (center of gravity)  is HUGE variable depending on the car

I know of at least 3 cars that rolled after moving from 10.70  and 33 to 12.50 and 36's a few inches makes a huge difference in the handling on bigger cars that already sit higher - so its something to watch for...

There is another tire that a little taller than a 33. Dune Sport 14.50 on a 17" rim. 

Are you wanting more gearing? more bite? more slide?  

You guys are bringing up all great points. Yes I care what my car looks like but I’m way more concerned on how it performs and reliability. 
my car originally had 33x15’s and 10.75x15 (which I still have) with Ls1 and 2D.
I picked up some 35.5x17’s and 10.50x17 when I went stroked 408 and S4. The trans is geared for 35” tires.

i much prefer the look of the 17” wheels over the 15’s. So I was seriously considering (more now thanks to all of you) picking up some 33x17’s. 

@jjoseph99 I didn’t know they made 17” tires. I know the 15” are only 30” tall. That’s just too low for me. What are the 17” tires in height? Who carries them? 
I’m  looking for a good combo of bite and slide.  I don’t do a lot of the drags and spend 98% of my time in the dunes.

My original setup with 33x15

9BA09AAF-D137-4A51-9B71-E7985C953C6C.jpeg

35.5x17

BA1B643C-49B3-41BF-9B35-082C7F018B25.jpeg

The Dune Sport on 17" rim is 34 to 34.5 in tall depending on air pressure. @RacecaRhere on the board can get them and I think Kartek has them just not on their site. All the big Funcos are running these. I'm also running a worn out set at 550 to the wheels they lack some bite but they slide amazing.  I'm hoping a new set will have more bite 

With your combo I would run 33” Blaster Pro #2

4 hours ago, tjZ06 said:

All of that said, when I went to the 36"s is when I started breaking ring & pinions. 

-TJ

Yeah you did...

20150123_200049.jpg

First time...

20170330_223630.jpg

Second time.

😮😮😮 OUCH!!!! Those things are shredded. Um....yeah, I’m going to shorter tires for sure. I’ll upsize the tires After I upgrade to a heavy duty sequential.

i really appreciate all the feedback!!

10 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

Yeah you did...

20150123_200049.jpg

First time...

20170330_223630.jpg

Second time.

Yeaaaaaah, I did that.  Of course, some of the damage was probably from the tow back each time too.  But those pinions look pretty nicely polished up.  

Speaking of King Kong... that's another question?  What front spindles and rear hubs are on the car?  The Potter had 2" hollow spindles and 934 mid-boards, so it was built to take the 12.5 & 36s...

I wouldn't want to see them run on a King Kong/Micro-stub type deal...

-TJ

Really depends on the gearing and the HP, I would feel that a 36'' blaster would need a little more HP than 600,

the 33'' standard is a little light for that HP,

I would try the 33'' Pro Cut Paddle, when you say 600 not sure what that really means,

if the gearing is correct I really like a 36'' blaster for a S4 with a 416 would be my smallest motor with CNC heads and a big cam,

the 427'' motors we build we still run a 36'' blaster,

the 440'' motors I hated the blasters never hooked up enough, so I really like the feel of the 35.5'' 

with the 454'' with large heads large cam, I have the 35.5 but the Scat Trak like the truck feel better but some do not like the look of them, with the 454 the 35.5 get chewed up within 3 years looking for more life out of a tire,

I'm running microstubs and combo spindles in the front. 2" hollows are coming next season. That's definitely the reason for not running 12's in the front. 

I'm running a Danzio Prerunner engine which is a 408 with upgraded everything internal and ls3 heads. Dyno'd at 610 hp and 600 ft/lbs. 450 hp at the wheels

13 hours ago, Casey4646 said:

I'm running microstubs and combo spindles in the front. 2" hollows are coming next season. That's definitely the reason for not running 12's in the front. 

I'm running a Danzio Prerunner engine which is a 408 with upgraded everything internal and ls3 heads. Dyno'd at 610 hp and 600 ft/lbs. 450 hp at the wheels

I ran a 408 with blaster 36'' I do not hit the whoops at all, never had a ring and pinion go out,  I do love the big tires at Dumont the razors are steep and sharp, the glides over them without hitting the bottom, @jwcarguy has ran a a 35.5or36'' with his PBS for 4 years now with no issues,

the looks are very cool with the big tires,

I sheared all 12 bolts off the ring gear one year, and the next year i shredded the ring an pinion.  the first one was on 33 #2 cut paddles with a alper motorsports 427. the second time was on 33 pro cut and the Alper motorsports 440.

I drop the clutch to wheelie at every 45 seconds and I hit every set of whoops i can find wide open.  I bought a LT car with good hors power because I wanted to use it, not to look cool.

I want the bigger tires because the cars look so much better on them, they grab better, and they handle the choppy stuff better.. i just cant justify spending the coin on them right now.