Sign in to follow this  
JoeyNY

Front sump oil pan, anyone running one?

Posted this in my swap thread figured would make a specific post for this.

I was originally just going to run the F-body oil pan but then started thinking that there would definitely be an oil starvation issue. I have a truck pan but then the oil pan would be the lowest hanging part on the engine.Considered running an LS3 oil  and wind age tray. Started looking around and I see Moroso makes a front sump oil pan with either remote oil filter or spin on filter options. By the time I tracked down all the items for a LS3 pan it would cost me the same amount if not more as a Moroso front pick up pan. Biggest difference would be oil capacity, Moroso 6.5 quarts vs LS3 at 8 quarts...

Pans utilize a GTO pick up tube and you modify a factory LS1 windage tray. I have run a Moroso pan in three of my turbo LS street cars with remote filter relocation setups and have nothing but good things to say about them. Was just wondering if anyone could see a con to using one.

Here is a link to the spin on filter style

Check out this page from Summit Racing https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-20138/

2DA0DE02-80B9-4C7C-BD57-A9B50EF2A4DC.png

I have a gto oil pan for sale if you want it, with pickup tube and windage tray, not sure what the advantage/disadvantage would be vs an f body pan, I just stuck with the f body pan on my ls2 due to already having an f body dipstick and dipstick tube 

Edited by L453Hawkins

7 hours ago, L453Hawkins said:

I have a gto oil pan for sale if you want it, with pickup tube and windage tray, not sure what the advantage/disadvantage would be vs an f body pan, I just stuck with the f body pan on my ls2 due to already having an f body dipstick and dipstick tube 

Where about are you located and how much do you need for it?

9 hours ago, JoeyNY said:

Where about are you located and how much do you need for it?

I’m in gilbert az, can bring to Glamis when I go. Asking 300 obo 

46 minutes ago, L453Hawkins said:

I’m in gilbert az, can bring to Glamis when I go. Asking 300 obo 

I am in Peoria will you be in town next weekend? Or I could meet you during the week at some point?

4 hours ago, JoeyNY said:

I am in Peoria will you be in town next weekend? Or I could meet you during the week at some point?

Yeah I will be home this weekend, the 16/17th 

I had the giant front-sump (rear of car) Moroso pan in my Potter on the LS7 (that was between 440 and 454 cubes depending on the rebuild 😛 ).   Before switching pans on drag pulls through the top of 4th -not even necessarily carrying a wheelie- I'd start to see oil pressure drop on the big-end (and lift, of course).  With the Moroso pan that was never an issue, even when wheelying.  

-TJ

23 hours ago, L453Hawkins said:

The advantage is that the sump is at the front of the motor, which means it's at the back of the car in a rear-engine sand rail.  When you accelerate and/or wheelie oil is going to want to slosh and pool at the back of the car, aka the front of the motor.  With a 4th Gen Fbody pan the sump is at the back of the motor, aka the FRONT of the car... where all the oil is trying to get away from. 

-TJ

1 hour ago, tjZ06 said:

The advantage is that the sump is at the front of the motor, which means it's at the back of the car in a rear-engine sand rail.  When you accelerate and/or wheelie oil is going to want to slosh and pool at the back of the car, aka the front of the motor.  With a 4th Gen Fbody pan the sump is at the back of the motor, aka the FRONT of the car... where all the oil is trying to get away from. 

-TJ

That makes sense, I guess the only disadvantage would be clearance for the sump on some cars

10 hours ago, L453Hawkins said:

That makes sense, I guess the only disadvantage would be clearance for the sump on some cars

Exactly.  On a lot of cars the engine cage and skid plate kick-up too sharp at the back to run the giant front-sump Moroso like I ran. 

-TJ