John@Outfront Mtrsprts

You could "NEVER" do this with a V8....just saying (Video)

10 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

in the past epos there have been many v8 Funcos that have entered.  but none have ever won.  their new v8 funcos may be a different story today as you can testify.  they have lengthened their cars to help with handling,   my car is 122"  i believe their new cars are in the 126 range.  that is a big difference.  i know when i get into an early gen 4 car of my friend it can really turn sharp (118" wb) but i feel more comfortable at higher speeds in my car compared to his shorter118" wb car.  as far as the challenge, i would think that would be fun as my car is drastically enhanced too, but unlikely as we cant have organized races in the dunes.  but who knows!

you guys should line it up.... CoG wars

doesn't have to be "organized"  Just a blast in the dunes, and see who pulls away faster.

21 hours ago, I'm Sorry said:

i think those dumb asses should just sit down on the track 

If would not be racing in Baja without the fans doing crazy things.   Better videos are Robby Gordon's truck with that wicked motor doing over 100 in the whoops.  

we did the same test with the gen 4 4cylinder subie at my shop  11.5" forward of center of tosion tube vs my 9"  and 16.5" with a driver compared to my 13"  now to be a fair test the wheel bases should be the same and they are not.  if i had a 4" shorter wheel base to match his car i feel my measurements would go back about 1" back 

61830.jpeg

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

so to brake this down it appears that approx a 200 lb person changes this balance point by 4 " and a gen 4, 4cyl subie is about 4" more forward then my car.  adding one passenger would get me to the same balance point as the lighter gen 4

anyone have a spare left front gen 4-6 spindle?  asking for a friend. haha. in glamis now 

8 hours ago, EMPIRE231 said:

you guys should line it up.... CoG wars

doesn't have to be "organized"  Just a blast in the dunes, and see who pulls away faster.

i dont think either of us would pull away from each other.  so it would need to be a timed race.  my car has so many modification it would be fun to know how we would compare

11 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

this is my car wet with 1/2 a tank of fuel (24 gallon tank)

IMG_8106.JPG

IMG_8107.JPG

Uh Oh.  Looks like I might be buying lunch.

Surprised your car weighs that much.

Did you buy your scales from the same guy you bought your dyno?  :bigrin

Shave a couple pounds and take off those cute beauty rings.

13 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

anyone have a spare left front gen 4-6 spindle?  asking for a friend. haha. in glamis now 

Pics please!

6 minutes ago, Air450 said:

Pics please!

as you wish.  king Kong spindle broke. i have another coming out in an hour.  i might need a custom spindle in my future.  happened on flat ground on my way back to camp from sunset.  in true form of an air bagged funco with a few adjustments to my auto leveling system i loaded my tire and continued on 5 min later 

61853.jpeg

61851.jpeg

first time in 2.5 years that my car has been down during any trip.  metal fatigue is the likely culprit.  i could just replace with like kind as and probably last another 5/10 years, or maybe upgrade to 2" units

Ouch! Good thing you weren't going fast.

fixed. leaving on a run to test out my CofG. haha

2 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

first time in 2.5 years that my car has been down during any trip.  metal fatigue is the likely culprit.  i could just replace with like kind as and probably last another 5/10 years, or maybe upgrade to 2" units

Spongebob Movie GIF by The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run What year did we build your car ?I am guessing it is a mid 2000 s build  ,  I am having a hard time believing they broke after 14 year , car is driven by a little old grampa on weekends only

16 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

i dont think either of us would pull away from each other.  so it would need to be a timed race.  my car has so many modification it would be fun to know how we would compare

I disagree

I know  you would  gap me doing your style duning ,  I know I would gap you in my style

Ultimatley V8 guys are smiling    Subi Guys are smiling   FUnco guys are smiling    As long as you in a FUNCO  :sha:

49 minutes ago, GRANT@FUNCO said:

I disagree

I know  you would  gap me doing your style duning ,  I know I would gap you in my style

Ultimatley V8 guys are smiling    Subi Guys are smiling   FUnco guys are smiling    As long as you in a FUNCO  :sha:

All three for me :lmao:

1 hour ago, GRANT@FUNCO said:

Spongebob Movie GIF by The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run What year did we build your car ?I am guessing it is a mid 2000 s build  ,  I am having a hard time believing they broke after 14 year , car is driven by a little old grampa on weekends only

mine is a #26 gen 5. im guessing this car is 2011-2013 range. when did the first gen 5 come out?  you are thinking of my previous car.  i bought that in 2006 and was the first time i did the EPO in a funco. had that car for like 5 years and sold it to steve burns. like you said...im just an old grandpa who drives on the weekends

22 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

mine is a #26 gen 5. im guessing this car is 2011-2013 range. when did the first gen 5 come out?  you are thinking of my previous car.  i bought that in 2006 and was the first time i did the EPO in a funco. had that car for like 5 years and sold it to steve burns. like you said...im just an old grandpa who drives on the weekends

Gen 5 started in 2009????  Not sure I have seen a 2009 Gen 4, but  there are some 2008 Gen 4's out there.  Of course, Grant really knows that question.

1 minute ago, Cookie said:

Gen 5 started in 2009????  Not sure I have seen a 2009 Gen 4, but  there are some 2008 Gen 4's out there.  Of course, Grant really knows that question.

yes my first car was a gen 4 in 2006.  who has a gen 5 number close to mine and knows their year

Think i will need an math degree and one in physics as well to understand this topic.LOL

So with Permission Dirtywhite boy has his car in here for some work.  we asked if we could weigh his car and do a comparison to my car.  He can comment on his motor as I have no idea but it is a supercharged LS base motor.  His motor does have a chiller with a thin radiator for it too. both of our cars are a G52.  you can see my scale results above in a post but its four corners.  I have condensed the numbers so you see only front to rear weights and percentages

my car  front 651#  28.3%

rear 1647#  71.7%

total weight                  2298

Craigs car  front 615#  22.9%

rear  2060# 77.1%

total weight                   2675  (I do have a few panels off, he is adding some weight from the air ride kit so it would be safe to say closer to 2700lbs) still lighter than I thought.

our cars are the same, so really the front of the cars should weigh about the same, interestingly his weighs less presumably because he has more weight out the back of his car

the big change comes at the back of the car where his car weighs 413# more than min (at the rear wheels) 

I find a noticeable difference with a 200lb person in my passenger seat, but Craig has an effective 2-200lb guys past the back seats! 

I have a gen4 in here right now with a 2D and 4 cylinder.  if I have time we will weigh that in the morning

Good numbers to review, but this topic all started with COG.  Is there a way to measure roll center?

Now this topic got interesting.   Thanks for the weights.   Craigs car is a LSA so I bet around 650hp

12 minutes ago, CHIZZLE said:

Good numbers to review, but this topic all started with COG.  Is there a way to measure roll center?

12 minutes ago, CHIZZLE said:

roll center is measured only on one  of the axes (the vertical one)  that would be fun to see the difference from mine to his.   but it really couldn't be measured very easily.  perhaps Craig would allow me to measure his balancing point too.

we can deduct that in a typical buggy the COG would be midway between the right and left side of the car. also at the balancing point (front to rear) and then it would be up or down on that imaginary line.

Hmm we are still less than 10 pages. 

is Dom or 4130 better for roll center?