One2go

Can Am best aftermarket clutch out there

So 2018 XRS 2 seat ,service guys says clutch is toast. What's best option out there (California).Want to see what you guys think/who would you recommend. Don't want something crazy that's gonna tear up belts but putting it back to stock is crazy expensive. 

stock and maintain it.  Make sure you get an 19 and newer primary clutch.  Only half of the 18's had the stainless wear plates in the primary.

maintenance is the key, blow out the dust and inspect often.  new primary buttons and KWI o-rings are cheap.  G-Boost secondary rollers are a little better than stock as long as you don't eff them up while replacing them. 

STM is NOT worth it at all, your maintenance with triple and you will have a noisy clutch.

Looks legit!

3 hours ago, megadesertdiesel said:

stock and maintain it.  Make sure you get an 19 and newer primary clutch.  Only half of the 18's had the stainless wear plates in the primary.

maintenance is the key, blow out the dust and inspect often.  new primary buttons and KWI o-rings are cheap.  G-Boost secondary rollers are a little better than stock as long as you don't eff them up while replacing them. 

STM is NOT worth it at all, your maintenance with triple and you will have a noisy clutch.

Is there a way to look at my VIN and know which is in there?

51 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

no, its hit a miss on the 18's.  You can pull the clutch cover and see on the primary where the button slides if there are stainless wear plates or not.   Is a very worthwhile upgrade if you do not have the stainless sliders.  Rockymountainatv.com is where I got mine.

1 hour ago, onanysunday said:

Mine has the stainless sliders and our friends 2018 that he bought several months before mine did not have them.   As Mega stated just remove the clutch cover and looks are your primary.  Very easy to see if the stainless sliders are there. 

Cool, I am at 250 miles on the car and have not pulled the cover yet.

14 hours ago, One2go said:

So 2018 XRS 2 seat ,service guys says clutch is toast. What's best option out there (California).Want to see what you guys think/who would you recommend. Don't want something crazy that's gonna tear up belts but putting it back to stock is crazy expensive. 

What was toast about the clutch?  The Can Am clutches can be rebuilt.   I would just replace the parts that are worn and you will be fine.  No need to go to some super expensive aftermarket set up that will not last.

1 minute ago, onanysunday said:

dust build up is your enemy.  remove cover and blow off dust often. 

1 minute ago, onanysunday said:

After every weekend trip  you should pull the cover and blow the clutches out.   You will be shocked show much dust comes out of them. 

9 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

What was toast about the clutch?  The Can Am clutches can be rebuilt.   I would just replace the parts that are worn and you will be fine.  No need to go to some super expensive aftermarket set up that will not last.

So yesterday was told most likely whole clutch,After talking to the tech he basically agreed with you. I would have no problem spending the cash for the aftermarket system if it was that much better. From feedback I'm getting it takes a bunch of maintenance and adjustments to get it right 

when is a company totally reinvent these clutches   just surprised there isn't a alternative that uses a hydraulic cylinder or a  electric actuator to engage and shift. just seems like the clutches have to many small parts that dont hold up.    if it is hydraulically operated the oil could also be used to cool it.     i have stm clutches i like them not sure they are worth the extra money. it nice that they are rebuidable  and i have rebuilt both of mine twice but for the price i could of bought a few stock ones. stm has great costumer support they did replace broken parts from a clutch that blew up on me about a year after i installed it 

Edited by diesel-e

Pull your primary and secondary and send them to Kris at KWI, you won’t be disappointed. Or better yet set up an appointment and have him do the work in Glamis. Save $$ on the shipping

12 hours ago, diesel-e said:

when is a company totally reinvent these clutches   just surprised there isn't a alternative that uses a hydraulic cylinder or a  electric actuator to engage and shift. just seems like the clutches have to many small parts that dont hold up.    if it is hydraulically operated the oil could also be used to cool it.     i have stm clutches i like them not sure they are worth the extra money. it nice that they are rebuidable  and i have rebuilt both of mine twice but for the price i could of bought a few stock ones. stm has great costumer support they did replace broken parts from a clutch that blew up on me about a year after i installed it 

The OEM clutches will last a long time if take the cover off after a weekend trip and blow them off with an air compressor.   They get very dusty. 

STM clutches are not worth the money unless you just doing drag racing and hill shooting.  STM clutches are more maintenance than the OEM stuff.

13 hours ago, One2go said:

So yesterday was told most likely whole clutch,After talking to the tech he basically agreed with you. I would have no problem spending the cash for the aftermarket system if it was that much better. From feedback I'm getting it takes a bunch of maintenance and adjustments to get it right 

Did they tell you which parts need to be replaced? 

On 11/15/2019 at 11:25 AM, Sand Shark said:

The OEM clutches will last a long time if take the cover off after a weekend trip and blow them off with an air compressor.   They get very dusty. 

STM clutches are not worth the money unless you just doing drag racing and hill shooting.  STM clutches are more maintenance than the OEM stuff.

100%  

Check out my clutch maintenance thread in the tech section, it's done with my XPT but all the ideas are the same.  Cleaning them out well on a regular basis and replacing the small wear items will save you a fortune long-run, if you let one of the little sliders or buttons go bad too long it can take out the rest of the clutch and it gets expensive.  Catch it early, and they are just a few bucks.  

I had STMs on the Z1-swapped car.  They are a TON of work.  Absolutely a TON.  Their wear parts and longevity are pretty bad too.  For a dedicated drag/hill shooter they are about the only way to go, but if you CAN avoid STM you SHOULD. 

-TJ