Flip-Flop

CV grease flinging

I serviced my CVs a few weeks ago and now have one that is flinging a little grease between the boot flange and the CV.  Only one out of four is doing this and all bolts are tight.  Took it apart and everything looks normal.  I have never seen this issue before.  Thinking I'll put a small bead of silicone on the inside lip of the boot flange where it mates to the CV and put it back together.

Anyone had this issue?  If so, what was your remedy?

I've always had problems with the small boots slinging CV grease. Dealt with it for a few years on @tjZ06 Potter car. Switched it to the large Bates over-boot and that solved the issue.

I've serviced a few cars that had silicone and it was still slinging grease. 

Switch to the Bates boots. Problems solved. Plus they are easier to pull off mid season and pump a little extra grease in.

Thanks for the feedback guys, but I'm wondering why the other 3 are not slinging any grease and this one is.  Another sandrail mystery, I guess. 

I went 5 seasons without any CV service, just added grease through a zerk fitting in each CV.  Everything looked fine,  see the pic of one CV, typical of all four. 

IMG_2688.jpg

There always seems to be one that want's to be different.  I have found that if there is the least bit of grease on the boot or flange, for some reason it will not seal and will always sling grease.   Check and recheck the flange and inter side of boot for any grease  as you put them on.  Be very careful not to let the sealing side of the boot touch any where there is grease.   I use a a lot brake cleaner and clean everything up after I bolt the CV's on.  I also tape the sealing surface of the flange and inter boot, and remove the tape just before I push the boot onto the flange. It's a pita, but it all has to click to work.    Good luck Flip, 

Edited by fastcorvairs

Did you bolt everything up dry?

Maybe the mating surface is not flat. 

4 hours ago, CONCEPT Thomas said:

Maybe the mating surface is not flat. 

This 

Put a straight edge on it and use a flashlight

I have never seen a Chromo flange bent or deformed- but its possible. I do think Grease will sneak past the Silicone unless its put on with everything super clean and dry. 

I have always used Bates boots and last car had the Alper Large/small boot combo which was great, but I noticed the CV's were wearing a little more and the grease was "thinner" 

this car has the small boots as I am trying to reduce the heat in the CV and IR gun reading show the Bates boots keep in the heat, so I am not sure I would jettison the small boots yet without some more investigation

also they make a paper style gasket for the CV that is a factory part, but silicone I would think should work, 

I did notice some very slight warping of the flange when I put it on a glass table top.  It would wiggle a little when pressing down on the sides.  So I went to McKenzie's today to compare mine to a new one.  My old one on their glass top display case had a slight wiggle.  The new one was flat with no wiggle.  Steve at McKenzie's said that he has seen this before and believes that the flange gets warped from bolting and unbolting it a number of times.  I'll put the new flange on and see if that corrects the problem.

So does all this grease flinging mean that you got your trans fixed and back in the car?

Almost.  Should have the trans back tomorrow or Friday.  Just wanted to address this issue while I had the time.

I have been running the dunes for the last four days and no flinging grease. I think it’s safe to say that the new flange fixed the issue. 
Thanks for all of your input and suggestions. 

Update. 
With the new flange installed it was still flinging some grease. I cleaned the area and put a small bead of black RTV between the flange and CV.  So far so good. 
I don’t like using the larger 934 boot that goes over the CV for two reasons. 
I like to be able to check to make sure the CV bolts are tight without pulling the boots back and I think by using the smaller 930 boot on a 934 CV helps keep the grease in the CV. 

I like the small boot idea but, sometimes the 12 point part of the bolt puts a little home in the boot.  I would look at the also. 

Thanks. 
I did check the boots for holes. The grease is definitely coming from between the CV and the boot flange. The bead of RTV seems to have stopped the grease from spitting.