HawkEng

Help with paddle size and selection on LS3 600hp

I have a Polaris RZR with a 525 crate engine tuned at nearly 600 hp.  We had tried Blaster #2, 33 x 15 on 12" wheels.  The car from a dead start will dig trenches and skid will almost touch the sand!  I definitely need a wider foot print.  At least I think so.  That is starting off in 1st or 2nd.  The car has no problem with power pulling these tires.  It is built with a Weddle HV24 transmission which I was told will handle 650 hp.  They also said it would handle slicks on a drag strip with no problem.  They are right at 35" tall and don't want any shorter.

I think I need 35" x 17" and would like a flatter profile so it will slide.  Maybe a Dune Sport?

Can anyone chime in and give me some help?  I am from Missouri where we only have 1 small area with sand to test.  So, I don't want to keep buying tires to figure out the best for this car.

Waynoka OK.jpg

Waynoka OK3.jpg

Waynoka OK2.jpg

20190815_172915.jpg

rear_picture.jpg

Dune sports 14.50 x 17 #2 sound like what you need. I use them on my car. But I also use 16.50 x 17 dune sports #2 .6CCAD2BF-DBBA-4DC5-BFA9-4DF8B87E4AD7.thumb.jpeg.cf68504b48491ecbb4f6198e5db91868.jpeg

These are the 14.50’s

Edited by Air450

How tall are they measured?

The 14.5 dune sports on 17’s are very heavy compared to your current tire setup (in ballpark of 15 lbs more per tire wheel combo) but will give you a nice wide flat tire for flotation.  I think mine measured something like 17” wide and had a very flat profile.   The paddles seem to be less aggressive than other offerings (STU & Xtreme).  I’m partial to the 36” STU blasters because I like the look and the height.  You’ll gain very little height with the dune sports, only width and weight.  The 36” blasters may not end up much wider than the 33 blasters, but they will get you a lot more height and clearance to the skid.  The 36” blasters and wheels weigh nearly identical to the 14.5 dune sports, both on 17’s.

I don't think I need to be any taller as the 33" measure 35" tall on 12" wheel.

How about the STU Sand Master II 35.5" x 17".  I know may have to get 17" wheels for some of these tires.

Then the dune sports will likely be the ticket for you.  About the same height as the blaster, but much much wider.  Like I said, going to dune sports on 17's will add about 15 lbs per wheel /tire over your current setup.  

Just now, HawkEng said:

How about the STU Sand Master II 35.5" x 17".  I know may have to get 17" wheels for some of these tires.

The 35.5 is a heavier tire with a more aggressevie paddle cup than the 36" blaster.  Essentially the same carcass size wise, but larger cups. 

16 minutes ago, HawkEng said:

That tire would put you in the 38" + range when mounted to the rim.  Very big tire.

If you want to stay around the same size tire, you can try the 33 blaster pro #2 .  This is the same size carcass as the regular 33 tires, but the "pro" cut has a much more aggressive paddle / cup.

1 minute ago, EMPIRE231 said:

That tire would put you in the 38" + range when mounted to the rim.  Very big tire.

15 minutes ago, evantwheeler said:

The 35.5 is a heavier tire with a more aggressevie paddle cup than the 36" blaster.  Essentially the same carcass size wise, but larger cups. 

I believe this is the tire that Jon Wolf runs on his LS RZR.

I may be wrong.  Maybe 33.5" x 17"?

1 minute ago, EMPIRE231 said:

If you want to stay around the same size tire, you can try the 33 blaster pro #2 .  This is the same size carcass as the regular 33 tires, but the "pro" cut has a much more aggressive paddle / cup.

I think I need more flotation?  Or will the bigger cups keep it from digging so deep?  Also, the 33x15 blasters don't slide at all.

3 minutes ago, HawkEng said:

I think I need more flotation?  Or will the bigger cups keep it from digging so deep?  Also, the 33x15 blasters don't slide at all.

the square profile tires (extreme) will get you more flotation and slide. 

what PSI are you running the 33's at?  The pro cut will get you more traction, but not help in the sliding dept.

Does the car dig constantly? or just on taking off?

Down to 7 psi to get best traction without going too low.  Once I get it moving, it will stay on top.

The higher you run your PSI, the better it will slide.

lower PSI = better flotation and hookup.

your digging because your just blowing the tires off it (too much wheel spin). if you can find a set to try out there try the blaster pro cups #2 with different air psi. they have much bigger cups which are the same on the big 38" tall 35.5's that all the super high hp cars run.

1 hour ago, EMPIRE231 said:

The higher you run your PSI, the better it will slide.

lower PSI = better flotation and hookup.

I tried them at 11 psi and they didn't hook up very well.  That is why I dropped a few pounds at a time until 7 psi.

27 minutes ago, Kevin said:

your digging because your just blowing the tires off it (too much wheel spin). if you can find a set to try out there try the blaster pro cups #2 with different air psi. they have much bigger cups which are the same on the big 38" tall 35.5's that all the super high hp cars run.

Dave with Sand Tires Unlimited told me he thought the Pros would work well for the straight line stuff.  But, they won't be good for dunning. 

3 minutes ago, HawkEng said:

I tried them at 11 psi and they didn't hook up very well.  That is why I dropped a few pounds at a time until 7 psi.

how did they dune at 11?

About like at 7, just didn't hook up as good for drag racing.

Nice rzr:rbj:

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, HawkEng said:

About like at 7, just didn't hook up as good for drag racing.

unfortunately getting both is a tall order, theres gonna be trade offs for each scenario.  the flatter profile of the extreme tires or the dune sports that funco runs may be better for you in both aspects. 

i watched the youtube video this car is in and it looks like your just spinning, also looked like there wasnt much weight transfer to the rear under acceleration. have you scaled the car?

2 hours ago, HawkEng said:

too big.    blaster 33 pros are great.   extreme 35's work great too.  

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

unfortunately getting both is a tall order, theres gonna be trade offs for each scenario.  the flatter profile of the extreme tires or the dune sports that funco runs may be better for you in both aspects. 

i watched the youtube video this car is in and it looks like your just spinning, also looked like there wasnt much weight transfer to the rear under acceleration. have you scaled the car?

Yes I have scaled the car.  It weighs 2420.  I dont remember front and rear weights exactly,  but it was close to  60% rear 40% front.  With 2 people in it, it is almost 50/50.