HawkEng

Help with paddle size and selection on LS3 600hp

your car is setup almost the same as mine.  I have had the extreme 35's and now have the blaster pro's .   who told you blasters don't slide.?  I run 18psi in my rear tires.   No loss in traction and still put the wheels up when I want.  I have tried lots of pressures and like 18.  7psi is way to low. you are loosing traction that low.  the paddles just bend over and don't hook up at that low of pressure. 

Edited by Squatcher

Squatcher, can you show me a picture of the tires mounted?  How tall do they measure on the car with weight on them?

let me see what I got.  car is down getting upgrades right now. They look great with my 35 baja fronts and 10.75's.   paddles 35 in carcass 33 with 16 to 18 psi.  I have run the 16.50's before,  I missed it what trans you running?  any tire bigger than the blaster or extreme will wear more on your trans. if you have a 2D I would never go bigger. I run a S4 and love the tires I have.  I am going to try Carls 14.50's next time but not sure if they will clear my shocks.  Also you are changing tires with the 14.50's.   I like pulling into my trailer at night so I can fit without changing tires.   I ran the same Tire on my Amplified  with 650hp plus a 200 shot of nos and that car did 117 at the drags. and many people can attest that car slid no problem.

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

4 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

let me see what I got.  car is down getting upgrades right now. They look great with my 35 baja fronts and 10.75's.   paddles 35 in carcass 33 with 16 to 18 psi.  I have run the 16.50's before,  I missed it what trans you running?  any tire bigger than the blaster or extreme will wear more on your trans. if you have a 2D I would never go bigger. I run a S4 and love the tires I have.  I am going to try Carls 14.50's next time but not sure if they will clear my shocks.  Also you are changing tires with the 14.50's.   I like pulling into my trailer at night so I can fit without changing tires.   I ran the same Tire on my Amplified  with 650hp plus a 200 shot of nos and that car did 117 at the drags. and many people can attest that car slid no problem.

I have a Weddle HV24 tranny

1 hour ago, HawkEng said:

I have a Weddle HV24 tranny

extremes or blasters would be great for that trans.   I run a S4 and wont go bigger unless I had the SD or albins. Besides my car has 19" of ground clearance already so no need for bigger tires.   My trans guys says buy bigger tires with a smile on his face.  LOL.    Kevin McMullen has told me for years if I run bigger tires His bills will be higher and I will be bringing him my car more often.   I refresh my trans every 3 years and normally don't have any big surprises. 

I went from a 33” Blaster pro 2 to a 14.50x17 dune sport II. They are a night and day difference in performance so pick your poison. 

4737E7D2-CD39-4096-A155-CE691D2F5AB9.jpeg

7CD527F2-3B7C-4AA3-87D3-9818AF492CA4.jpeg

101diesel would you please explain the performance differences you saw from the 33 Blaster Pros to the 14.50 x 17 Dune Sport II?  Are the Dune Sport II the same diameter as the 33 Pros?  

No the diameters are different. The 33 blaster pro 2 on a 12” wide rim is really a 35” tire and has a high crown. The blaster doesn’t slide like the dunesport. The  dunesport is a 34” tire with a flat profile and will slide 100x’s better. If you want to play out in the dunes and drift your car in the bowels go with the dunesport.  

How is the traction on the Dune Sport compared to the Blaster Pro in a drag race?

Blaster pro for drag racing 

Yeah I know.  Is there that much difference in the traction in a  straight line?  And do the Blaster Pro dig down deep from start or stay on top?

They dig down deep and have less wheel spin. If you want the most traction go with the pro’s.  The pro’s are a lighter rotating mass too so it will save your transaxle. I run an S5D so I’m not worried as much. The 14.50x17 dunesport will cost you twice as much because you will need new rims. You can run the pro 2 on your current 15” and save some cash. 

Yeah my 33 Blasters dig DEEP.  Wanting to know if the Pros dig deep or stay on top more because they are trying to  move more sand with traction?  This thing sux from the start when you stand on the gas.

Edited by HawkEng

Anyone running the Extreme 35"?  Looks just about 1" taller than the STU 33" and a little more squared off.  Looks like it will hook up better?

34 Extreme VS 33 STU Blaster.jpg

As seen in this pic, and typical with Extreme paddles, the blades are starting to tear in the middle.

paddle.png

if you are wanting tires for max hookup for drag racing then you need to call scat trak and have them custom make you a paddle tire.

I am looking for an all around dune tire that won't dig 8" deep when taking off from a dead stop and spinning like crazy.  I am planning to put this car up for sale real soon and just want a good all around tire for the next customer.  I also realize to be fast from a start, probably takes another tire than an all around dune tire.  But the 33x15 Blasters I have now aren't enough every time you take off they sink.

Also, I had read the Extremes had a compound change and are better now for the cracking issues.  Didn't know if that is really the case or not?

Needs more rear weight... IMHO the flatter paddle will rototiller even more.  

9 hours ago, JGSturbo said:

Needs more rear weight... IMHO the flatter paddle will rototiller even more.  

That doesn't make sense.  It is basically a sand car in the rear and weight is similar.  Wider paddle more flotation.

2 hours ago, HawkEng said:

That doesn't make sense.  It is basically a sand car in the rear and weight is similar.  Wider paddle more flotation.

The dune sports are hard capped tires, they don't really change shape on air pressure changes.... Like a 14 ply tire, stiff. IME it leads to more spin, less bite. 

Thats why they slide so well.

If you want flotation and bite STU 1650s are a healthy tires.

My 2800+lb TT car runs 15-33 #2 paddles in the soft oregon sand with no take off dig problems but I'm 30/70 and I use 10 wide wheels for max dia. More diamter can fix your problem as well. 

i have a set of 33x17 1 cut STU if that's the route you want to go. they only have 2 trips on them and  i will let them go on the cheap.

3 hours ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

i have a set of 33x17 1 cut STU if that's the route you want to go. they only have 2 trips on them and  i will let them go on the cheap.

I would think it still needs #2 cut.

14 hours ago, HawkEng said:

I agree with JGSturbo.  My mid engine LS1 buggy has 65% of the weight on the rear with two people in it.  A hard drag launch will squat the rear, but my car doesn't dig much.  I'm using a 33 x 17 Blaster #2 cut and I made 428hp at the tires.  I'm my opinion, you need to make suspension and weight distribution changes.  I doubt you'll find a tire that will do what your wanting.