Sign in to follow this  
AZDUNERAT

Onan 5500 carb replacement

After spending almost 500.00 to have a Mobil repairmen replace my carb in July I pulled the hauler out of storage only to find the generator wouldn’t start. Fuel pump was done, replaced it and still no fire from the genny. 

pulled the carb and cleaned it, fired but ran like crap. Ran some seafoam through it and it got better but was giving me issues, wouldn’t start in the cold and would die after removing a load.  Went ahead and ordered the 60.00 amazon special yesterday morning and had it on my door yesterday at 8. Took me all of 20 minutes the morning to install and the generator fired right up and runs perfectly. 

Honestly looking at the two I can’t see a difference. I pulled the old(3months) carb apart again this time pulling the little actuator apart and cleaning it as well. I am going to keep it as a back up just in case. 

Good info! I have had a bit of luck with the overnight seafoam soak but for $60, i'd rather just go that route.

Just a heads up, I installed the exact same one. Didn't know it after install but there was a short in the solenoid. Didn't find out until the next trip. Fuel pump was dead. Thought what are the odds and replaced it. Realized fuel pump would run nonstop unless fuse was pulled. Tapped solenoid just looking for anything weird and sparks came off it. Ended up frying a 410 dollar circuit board behind the switch.... Returned that one and bought oem. 

Good to know! I will keep my eye on that.