Turn n Burn

The car that killed the mini van gets a makeover

The car that killed the mini van gets a make over. 

By the number of my posts you can see I’m not a poster, not big on social media either but I’m making an exception for my friend. This is a tribute to my friend Gil George. 

The blue car you see is very special, the story is my wife had a Funco Hustler 2 gen 3 (Pictured Flag car - If you’ve been to Glamis you probably have seen it. She designed the graphics for it) she was very happy with it until I got my new Gen 4 with the new at the time bypass shock option. I took her for a ride to a spot where there was a pretty nasty kachung and Instead of slowing down I stomped on the gas, it went through like butter. After she rode in it she knew she wanted to build a new Hustler. But she wanted to do something different. Gil was reluctant (he would say no you don’t want to do that) and she kept bugging him for quite a while until he agreed. He sketched out the car on a yellow legal pad. It was a Hustler 2 seater, but with a swooping line front to the back (with Gen 4 suspension) at the time Funco was known for the mini-van look. This was way different. Don’t know if they built any more in this configuration as it’s a tight fit cabin wise, could never be a four seater. 

They changed the arc of the roof to be much higher in subsequent models. But the basic design was the basis. I don’t think they built too many mini vans after this car. 

After my wife had her L-4/and L-5 vertebrae (I think that is the right term) fused to her tailbone she was concerned that she could make her back problems worse if she kept driving her car. We said we were not going to sell it so I sold my 4 seater car and Gil figured out how to get me in it, a 6’-2” man into a spot built for a 5’-7” woman, (I called it operation shoehorn). The cool thing is I got to experience this light car with only 250 hp and what a blast it was to drive. I didn’t turn into a bowl, people were amazed to see me jump into a bowl! Just a freaking blast to drive. I drove it for several seasons, super fun. 

My wife began dying a little each time I left camp with her baby. I don’t blame her she was longing for the dunes again in some capacity maybe just be able to get back in the small dunes by the gecko loop, so I jumped on the grenade again (just kidding I know how f-ing lucky I am) I bought my second new Funco in my life, the first one is the one showing up on the surbaru\v8 thread (4 seat purple and green). My new one is a G52. 

I did that so we could do a remodel on her car to make it more accessible by adding doors, the air bag control system (so it can be lowered for easier access), new more comfortable seats, enclose front of car, add full dash, livorsky gauges, taller paddles, billet wheels and many other small details.

John at outback is freshening up the Subaru giving it a little more boost maybe. 

I really believe this was Gils swan song! We started this remodel project with him and now we will have to finish it without him. We just lost a piece of history, a person who made incredible contributions to our sport and to our lives. I am a better man for knowing him. I will miss you friend, thanks for always telling it like it is! Nobody will ever accuse Gil of sugar coating anything!

This page is a tribute to the man, I will add progress photos, although we are painting it now so this should come together fast. The frame is done and as you can see it has a brand new skin. 

Feel free to share your stories about Gil.

D8AE01EB-D005-4698-B2C8-9F2E598A0890.jpeg

DCD0CB38-BD81-4D3E-B115-0343485F75BE.jpeg

9F7F9E36-5E7C-48C0-AA6A-F3D685BCEFBF.jpeg

E8B10007-5D21-44A3-AB9F-7A2821222DC0.jpeg

06088182-90E7-4F18-90F5-2A3AAD5A8C4F.jpeg

96729EF0-2797-4B28-84A8-62D7A0F116DB.jpeg

This thread is winning!

Very nicely written. Thanks for sharing.

Cool car and story.  Looks real nice.

great story.  to Gil, you have been an inspiration to us all and have changed the duning experience forever!  

I have the flag car I bought it from Walt years ago, car has a  turbo V6 Honda 3.5 with that he installed I added front brakes and more lights paint still looks great, my wife and I love the car.626830944_funcohustler.thumb.jpg.af8c63b0e0c8cbc273e53a1ce5d9f65d.jpgIMG_3378.thumb.jpg.7c6b5feb2bdc9ae636404cd94854b387.jpg

1 hour ago, Tyler Tremble said:

Got this a couple of months ago and I'm am NOT changing a thing.  What a thrill to drive! Funco engineers a perfect dune car for sure.

IMG_3094.jpg

The one thing you may want to look at doing is my car has little windows in the roof you can see them in the pic's allows you to see whats ahead in a bowl and going down a dune also I,m 6' tall and wear a helmet because I have very little clearance from my head to bars and roof this is what also limits my overhead visibility.

Makeover complete 

this one is near and dear to our heart 

Thank You Paul and Cheryl for years of support 

F82A0DF1-1999-46DC-911E-062657072562.jpeg

3B6A76DF-BCA5-4F49-AED0-E2D32C6BD256.jpeg

EE7E18E3-7DCE-4C7A-84FF-78D1410D3AEC.jpeg

4DD8CF20-B9F4-4D30-A63B-0FAE94B95283.jpeg

D12B51F8-30AE-4CDE-863E-87FA6D7103FA.jpeg

Turned out absolutely amazing, if there was (and should be) a funco calendar this needs to be on the cover.

wow...beautiful car.

That is spectacular!

Nice job Congrats to all involved!