Stugots

The 3.5 saga continues

22 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Depends. Worn out from use? Sure, but oil starvation usually wrecks everything. Looks like @Stugots got lucky on this one, but he’ll definitely want to get it ultra-sonically cleaned and whatever else can be done to get all the particles out. Finding all of the metal that’s been eaten takes a lot of effort and one particle in the wrong spot can eat your fresh rebuild as well. Lots of tiny little oil passages in a VTEC motor. I’ve been there and done that trying to save a rare “VTEC” motor (SR20VE, Nissan calls it  Neo VVL) and would hate to see it happen to him.

True if the damage is beyond repair or at a point that you cannot be reasonably assured you got every particle out of the block then yes a new block would be they way to go.  But, even at that point I would open it up and refresh a used motor.  I'll be doing that after this season when I add a pair of turbos to my car.

2 hours ago, richard h said:

For complete fun I would do both.

Buy a used motor and play this season. Put the  current motor on a stand and build the heck out of it. Install after season and sell the one you ran.

I actually thought of doing that,, going to looks at one today.

4 hours ago, Stugots said:

I actually thought of doing that,, going to looks at one today.

If you get s good used I'm sure it would sell fast too. If I were looking I'd take known runner over a junkyard one that can be hit or miss. 

Update:::::

Went to Huntington Beach yesterday to take a look at what was suppose to be a J35A4,,,Nope wrong engine. Then just for shits and giggles I stopped by the o'l Pick A Part on the way home to take a look around and actually found a clean engine that had the trans taken out and was just hanging  in a van with a rear end accident. The oil pan had a chunk out of it and I thought it might just be from who ever removed the trans... Well I dropped the pan and it was roached.

I found a clean JDM J35A that I am going to grab tomorrow for $600 and call it a day.. Will probably build up the other one over time as I pick parts for it along the way...

Awesome!!!!!

6 hours ago, Stugots said:

Update:::::

Went to Huntington Beach yesterday to take a look at what was suppose to be a J35A4,,,Nope wrong engine. Then just for shits and giggles I stopped by the o'l Pick A Part on the way home to take a look around and actually found a clean engine that had the trans taken out and was just hanging the in a van with a rear end accident. The oil pan had a chunk out of it and I thought it might just be from who ever removed the trans... Well I dropped the pan and it was roached.

I found a clean JDM J35A that I am going to grab tomorrow for $600 and call it a day.. Will probably build up the other one over time as I pick parts for it along the way...

You were in HB? :huh: 

16 hours ago, matt86m said:

You were in HB? :huh: 

I got  in and out of there before I got the OC stank on me.

New engine has arrived 

20191205_140400.jpg

20191205_135849.jpg

20191205_135836.jpg

Yay! Spare alternator!

Also....don't throw the tensioner or the compressor bracket out.  Ten seconds with a band saw will save someone a TON of time.

I would take the 6-8" pig tail for the MAP sensor if you don't mind...throw it in the box when you send the other ECU back..  :hypno:

Edited by Kraut_n_Rice

1 hour ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Also....don't throw the tensioner or the compressor bracket out.  Ten seconds with a band saw will save someone a TON of time.

I would take the 6-8" pig tail for the MAP sensor if you don't mind...throw it in the box when you send the other ECU back..  :hypno:

Can you elaborate on this a bit,, unless I can modify it not sure I can use it . My PS pump is mounted off that engine mount..

a few hours and you will be up and running.  

36 minutes ago, Stugots said:

Can you elaborate on this a bit,, unless I can modify it not sure I can use it . My PS pump is mounted off that engine mount..

I think hes referring to cut in half so you can keep the part where the shock absorber thing bolts too.I know you went with the older style but when i did my friends a4 i welded a bracket off the cage for the shock thingy and  now i wish i knew this trick too would have saved me a couple of hours.

6 hours ago, Stugots said:

I got  in and out of there before I got the OC stank on me.

New engine has arrived 

20191205_140400.jpg

20191205_135849.jpg

20191205_135836.jpg

We will be out there on the 10th to the 16th if you get her up and running. Put it on the flatbed and stay with me.

Looks good.  I did this exact swap with a buddy last season when his motor was burning a quart of oil a ride.  Got so bad that if it wasn't windy you could get to the top of a dune and see virtual breadcrumbs of our path.

We stripped the old motor and now he has a spare everything.  He got his for $450 shipped to the door.

Which computer do you have?

12 hours ago, 77charger said:

I think hes referring to cut in half so you can keep the part where the shock absorber thing bolts too.I know you went with the older style but when i did my friends a4 i welded a bracket off the cage for the shock thingy and  now i wish i knew this trick too would have saved me a couple of hours.

Yes. Basically cut it just behind the front  two holes. Then sandwich your motor mount in between it and the block. 

12 hours ago, matt86m said:

We will be out there on the 10th to the 16th if you get her up and running. Put it on the flatbed and stay with me.

Thanks for the offer, I really would love to but need to get on some work between the storms and Holidays.

4 hours ago, r3meyer said:

Looks good.  I did this exact swap with a buddy last season when his motor was burning a quart of oil a ride.  Got so bad that if it wasn't windy you could get to the top of a dune and see virtual breadcrumbs of our path.

We stripped the old motor and now he has a spare everything.  He got his for $450 shipped to the door.

Which computer do you have?

I am running the stock ECU

1 hour ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Yes. Basically cut it just behind the front  two holes. Then sandwich your motor mount in between it and the block. 

Ill have to see if it will work with how my PS pump is mounted.

Even if it doesn't work for you, it would help someone else. They don't always come with the bracket or compressor.

Stugots I may be looking for a set of a4 intake runners if you decide to toss old stuff out. 

18 hours ago, 77charger said:

Stugots I may be looking for a set of a4 intake runners if you decide to toss old stuff out. 

I think it’s just a spacer to make the runners longer. 

14 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I think it’s just a spacer to make the runners longer. 

Theres a spacer but my engine is the a1 that has a a4 manifold and spacer.Ill need to port match the intake runners to match the ports from the a4 manifold.I text brandon and he clarified for me saying the a1 is more of a d port shape and the a4 was a larger round shape i was getting confused til he explained.

Everything is working fine power feels great i just had to remove the manifold to clean up some sand that got through the filter and noticed this like said works fine but now i seen it it bothers me visually LOL.

did that wire tie really hold the eng. to the pallet ?

5 hours ago, I'm Sorry said:

Lol That’s Sturdy Stugots  wire!

Any Update??

19 hours ago, I'm Sorry said:

Yup held up great, the engine place did it.

4 hours ago, SandTrap said:

Any Update??

Its going, just swapping everything over.

Any updates?