Stugots

The 3.5 saga continues

Why would you rebuild the Honda?  You can get them in the junkyard for $500-700 all day long, unless you plan to go forged internals and stuff.  

FWIW water actually cools better than "coolant."  Antifreeze, aka coolant only helps with lubricating the water pump and keeping it from freezing, as well as raising the boiling point of the water in the system.  For *pure* cooling water is actually best (excluding stuff like Evans or other special fluids).  I'm not saying don't run coolant, I'm just saying if you're pure-water now it's not going to help to add coolant.  

-TJ

PS- in my post before I meant "airflow through the radiator" not "airflow through the motor" of course. 

Edited by tjZ06

Well on rebuilding it.  Seems like the A4 are getting harder to find with decent mileage. The one in the car now is a JDM J35A . I am just gun shy now about getting another used engine... Who knows may change my mind if this engine is shot as we. Hell even tossing the idea of dropping it off at Alpers and putting in a stock 5.3..  Just been frustrating all around this season with the car..

Also 10/4 on the coolant info just hoping for the easy fix but we know how that goes.

13 hours ago, Stugots said:

Well on rebuilding it.  Seems like the A4 are getting harder to find with decent mileage. The one in the car now is a JDM J35A . I am just gun shy now about getting another used engine... Who knows may change my mind if this engine is shot as we. Hell even tossing the idea of dropping it off at Alpers and putting in a stock 5.3..  Just been frustrating all around this season with the car..

Also 10/4 on the coolant info just hoping for the easy fix but we know how that goes.

Just bought another and being shipped to me now. I have had great luck so far with ALL the junk yard motors I've purchased. My plan is to convert/modify this motor and sell.

16 hours ago, tjZ06 said:

That sounds kind of like the first-run I had with my Honda car.  When I got it the previous owner had just had the heads done along with water pump etc.  Obviously that meant they had overheated it.  The motor was repaired right, but it'd still overheat right away almost no matter what I did.  I verified the fans were working, but noticed they really didn't move much air.  It turns out the tubes in the radiator had swollen when it previously overheated and it was basically blocking almost all airflow through the motor.  You can use a small zip-tie and see if you can get it through between the fins and tubes, if not you might have the same issue. 

-TJ

Yarn is useful for airflow as well.  Should stick to the front with the fans on, and taught on the output side of the fans. 

Side mounted radiator might be overtaxed now that you're making an additional 40-50 horsepower.  Got any pics of the radiator setup?  Might be a relatively easy airflow fix.  I take it everything around the radiator is about the same as with the J30?

On 1/22/2020 at 9:12 AM, Rockwood said:

Yarn is useful for airflow as well.  Should stick to the front with the fans on, and taught on the output side of the fans. 

Side mounted radiator might be overtaxed now that you're making an additional 40-50 horsepower.  Got any pics of the radiator setup?  Might be a relatively easy airflow fix.  I take it everything around the radiator is about the same as with the J30?

Yes all the same, going to run it with the side panel off and see if that makes a difference.. then go from there..

Thanks for all that advise and ideas guys.. it is very appreciated..

I'd relocate the radiator.  That wonky side mount thing may have worked for the 3.0, but it was probably just on the cuff of failure.   While your at it, increase the size..

You say only water in it?

Be careful. I had my engine crack when we had a cold snap. Had only water and water wetter in it. Drain it or put the antifreeze in

Edited by Legit Duner

We repowered our buggy a few years ago from a 3.5 to an LS. There were no issues at all with the 3.5 it ran like a champ. An LS is what I was longing for so that's what I put in. Of course with the LS I had to also replace the bus box and basically reconstruct the whole back of the car. I would not today entertain such a venture, as fun as the LS is I'm not so sure it was worth what we had to do to get it done and working. My spouse no longer drives the car and pure speed is not how we dune. In a nutshell the car was actually more useable with the 3.5, if anything a trans upgrade would have been the only thing to change for it to be super reliable. 

With that said I see no issue in rebuilding your 3.5 that is installed in the car now that would be my choice in the situation if it were me. I'd definitely replace the pistons, probably .010 would do it, then have it bored and check the deck. I'd also spend the money and install a good set of forged rods as they seem to be the weak link that always exits the pan. Your crank is probably ok but that's an easy fix if it's not. You can get a set of exchanged heads from a machine shop likely less than $300. You'll put a significant amount into it but in the end you'll know what you have, the peace of mind is priceless when you drive off of the pavement in an off road car. I'm not familiar with your car but as suggested I'd relocate the radiator with a bigger unit and put it into the airflow. Of course your engine may not have been damaged at all once you get into it. 

IIRC your car is mid engine and you had some double throw down trailing arms made for it, an LS would mean moving your trans back a good amount which would possibly make your axle angles off and require longer ones, not to mention the longer wheel base and spring change. It's all of the little things that add up. I've been there and done that it is not an easy swap. 

My 3.5 was sold to a guy that rolled with Acefuture and Reece, my metal guy installed it in his baja buggy and then he sold it not long after that. Shit changes hands quickly in this sport. 

Edited by fortyfour

Any Updates??

1 hour ago, SandTrap said:

Any Updates??

He’s been busy singing Mariachi 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, SandTrap said:

Any Updates??

Engine is getting rebuilt as we speak,, full story to follow after the tournament....

1 hour ago, ROBERT L said:

He’s been busy singing Mariachi 😂😂😂

You know I sounded gooood!🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, Stugots said:

You know I sounded gooood!🤣🤣

Best part of the video 

7 minutes ago, ROBERT L said:

Best part of the video 

I thought so too!

1 minute ago, Stugots said:

I thought so too!

maria sure didnt think so! :lol:

9 minutes ago, Kevin said:

maria sure didnt think so! :lol:

🤣 I could not help myself, I tried to be good...

stay on TOPic ... thx

1 minute ago, I'm Sorry said:

stay on TOPic ... thx

But it's my topic...go away gtfo GIF

47 minutes ago, ROBERT L said:

Best part of the video 

If there is video, it should be posted!

My poor wife just loves posting random things to her IG and I go and ruin it ..🙄

Randy, I hope our chicks never meet.

They would think that they could for run for the White House...  🤣  Two idiots in tow..