Phoenix7

Writing notes to buy cars....is this a money making strategy?

My wife has an ugly 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 truck.  It has a large dent in the door and the paint has peeled off the hood.   No one passing by knows that it has very low mileage and is extremely reliable.  In other words, it's not so bad after all.

But we've had 2 men write notes on the truck asking us to call them if we want to sell.  Last night it was an Amazon delivery guy, so my wife felt comfortable in chatting with him.  When she asked what price he was thinking, he said $1200 and my wife said that was an insult.

So this started me thinking if people do this as a strategy to make money on a quick turnaround sale?  There would have to be some logic around it, because you can't write notes on everyone's vehicles.  And I believe most people would tear up the note knowing that there are better ways to sell a vehicle. 

But I still wonder.  Is there anything to this?  And if not cars and trucks, does this strategy work on anything else?  Have YOU done it?

Had a few people stop and ask me if I ever wanted to sell my old dodge they would be interested.  When I did finally put it up for sale I never saw them drive by.

Then about two weeks after I sold the truck  I get a knock at the door. It was one of those guy's asked if I had sold the Dodge. I told him yes I had. He was surprised I even sold it.  Just as he walks away he turns and say's do you mind letting me know what it went for, I said No, and I told him.  He was shocked I got so much. Do't think he would of paid that much by his reaction.

16 minutes ago, MWB said:

Had a few people stop and ask me if I ever wanted to sell my old dodge they would be interested.  When I did finally put it up for sale I never saw them drive by.

Then about two weeks after I sold the truck  I get a knock at the door. It was one of those guy's asked if I had sold the Dodge. I told him yes I had. He was surprised I even sold it.  Just as he walks away he turns and say's do you mind letting me know what it went for, I said No, and I told him.  He was shocked I got so much. Do't think he would of paid that much by his reaction.

His reaction kinda tells us something about his intentions.  Thanks for sharing.

If I was even going to attempt something like this, I'd like the vehicle to NOT look good cosmetically, but furthermore I'd like the house to look a little disheveled too, like maybe someone needs some quick cash or is distracted from worrying about cars.  And also I'd look for a car/truck that is parked on the side like a third vehicle.

Edited by Phoenix7

Had an Explorer and a Corolla in front of my side yard while I was waiting on parts. Ever couple of days I would find post it notes on each of them with broken spanglish and a number. Was out front one Saturday morning when ol boy stopped by. Barely could speak a word of English but had a fistful of hunerts. Wanted to give me $400 for the Ford and $600 for the Toyota.  Said I'd give him the tires off of each one for that price. He asked what I expected to get for them, told him I wasn't going to waste either of our time 

Parts came in and in very short order sold the Explorer for $2200 and the Corolla for $3700.

Don't know where these Mexicans get off thinking everyone is a cheap ass.

Edited by aceisback

3 minutes ago, aceisback said:

Had an Explorer and a Corolla in front of my side yard while I was waiting on parts. Ever couple of days I would find post it notes on each of them with broken spanglish and a number. Was out front one Saturday morning when ol boy stopped by. Barely could speak a word of English but had a fistful of hunerts. Wanted to give me $400 for the Ford and $600 for the Toyota.  Said I'd give him the tires off of each one for that price. He asked what I expected to get for them, told him I wasn't going to waste either of our time 

Parts came in and in very short order sold the Explorer for $2200 and the Corolla for $3700.

Don't know where these Mexicans get off thinking everyone is a cheap ass.

I think that's kinda how they do it in their country :)

The chevy 1500 is one of the most wanted trucks out there.  Cheap to fix and very reliable.  Super easy to sell.

My wifes uncle has an older extended cab.  He gets offers all the time when he is out with it. 

6 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

The chevy 1500 is one of the most wanted trucks out there.  Cheap to fix and very reliable.  Super easy to sell.

My wifes uncle has an older extended cab.  He gets offers all the time when he is out with it. 

That could be the reason for interest in my wife's GMC.  It also has an extended cab.  I've heard that her 6 cylinder engine is very reliable too.

I grew up in south Spring Valley (not a great area) and that's how we did it.  That's how you got the deals...just walk up to the door with cash.  Sometimes they sold the car...sometimes they didn't.  That's how I bought my first car.  A 1969 Baja Bug that sat on the street a few houses down for a year and never moved.  Got it for $850.  Turns out it had a lot of good stuff on it.  Of course that was 1990 and we didn't have the internet.  Thinks are a lot different now....but for some, not so much.  I remember I couldn't wait for Thursday morning when the new auto trader was delivered to the 7/11  LOL

~jw

Edited by jwest2sh

I would suspect most of these are flippers. It’s just like when the realtors go door to door in my neighborhood asking if you are ready to sell or if you are thinking about selling or if you are thinking about buying they are simply drumming up business for themselves.

I had someone as if I wanted to sell one of my cars and at the time I said no. Decided too short time later and the guy did end up buying it. 

I have seen cool cars in the past and told people if they ever want to sell to let me know.  

To non car people with a broke car in there side yard. The old mexican guy is a god send. Everyone makes money and the non car people don't have to deal with tow/fix/staring at it for the next 20-year, etc.  

I think people leave notes or knock on doors for different reasons. Many are flippers, low buck  whores and some are just looking for a specific vehicle. If they see one that looks to be parked for along time, or if the see the owner they might ask about it.  

I have a few experiences. Back in the late 90’s a friend saw a VW type 3 sitting in a driveway covered up. He knocked on the door and found out it was their daughters, and she was away at collage. A week later they sold it too him. It was cool as after a year or so of fixing it all up he brought it back to show them. 

Several years ago I was looking for a used 5x8 or 6x10 landscape type trailer. I had seen one at a house and knew the guy has used it for his remodel & landscaping. His house was done and the trailer was parked on his side yard. I asked him if he was interested in selling it as I was doing the same landscape thing. He was not sure at the time if he wanted to sell it. I left my number if he decided to sell it. A few months later it was gone. By chance I saw him outside and I stopped to see if he had it or sold it. He said he sold it, but lost my number, so he put in on Craigslist and sold it after a few days. He thought I might have saw the ad and come back. 

Then this past year I have found myself interested in the 70’s-80’s full size Jeep Wagoneer. Saw one parked at the Los Coaches Walmart/Smart & Final parking lot. I was checking it out when the guy came out of the store. He was probably in his 70’s. Nice guy, we talked all about it. I eventually asked if he ever had interest in selling it? He said he had no plans to sell. If he would have showed any interest I would have offered my number.  

19 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

My wife has an ugly 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 truck.  It has a large dent in the door and the paint has peeled off the hood.   No one passing by knows that it has very low mileage and is extremely reliable.  In other words, it's not so bad after all.

But we've had 2 men write notes on the truck asking us to call them if we want to sell.  Last night it was an Amazon delivery guy, so my wife felt comfortable in chatting with him.  When she asked what price he was thinking, he said $1200 and my wife said that was an insult.

So this started me thinking if people do this as a strategy to make money on a quick turnaround sale?  There would have to be some logic around it, because you can't write notes on everyone's vehicles.  And I believe most people would tear up the note knowing that there are better ways to sell a vehicle. 

But I still wonder.  Is there anything to this?  And if not cars and trucks, does this strategy work on anything else?  Have YOU done it?

In my case....no i’ve been leaving notes every couple months on an old cadillac. No response. My wifes dream weekend car. Every time i was filling up my 97 f250 or almost every time i fill my current 2001 f350 people ask if i’d sell it and reminisce about the one they had, they dont really want it. Bumpy ride, no frills. They like the reliability and idea of it, but as a daily they would go nuts. If i had to drive my f350 daily i’d sell it and buy a 2019.

when i was a kid, my dad had a 70s jag with a 350 conversion. It had peeling paint and headliner was comming down. He was far from a mechanical guy. He parked it and bought a fox body. After 5-6 years a telecom guy that was at our house asked about it. He told the dood he could have it. Guy came with a battery and trailer. Effer started right up and he drove it on the trailer.... you never know if you dont ask.

04 under chevys have a cult following the variable cam timing units like the 06 not so much

Edited by sausage450r

I sold my last home from a note left on the door. I Also purchased my current home from knocking on the door, both deals done by owner. 

Never done it with a car. 

Edited by badgas

I've  owned several "cool" cars from the 50s 60s and 70s over the years (Alfa Romeos, MGs, 356 Porsches, BMW 2002s, Caddy Conv  etc) and it was not uncommon to go to a store, come out to the parking lot and find a note on it asking if they were for sale.   Certain cars just have that kind of currency with certain constituencies  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

Thanks to everyone for your diverse and interesting stories.

Somehow, I'm going to try this.  I want to do some kind of money making deal.  I had so much motivation to do things like this when I was much younger, and I actually knocked on a few doors in the 80's of people who were in foreclosure, but I never closed a deal.  I became a part-time Realtor instead (for a few years), and closed some deals that way.

So I'll try something and if I have any action (profit or loss), I'll report back here some day.  BTW I heard there's a guy on this website who buys and sells SxS's.  That sounds interesting.

Don’t touch my car

I had a different experience with a note

Found one on my windshield when I got out of work one day!

This girl had wrote something straight out of Penthouse magazine...I was so taken back by it I forgot to undo the steering wheel lock on my car and about crashed my car!

:lmao:

And..yes I did call her! and yes she was straight :nut:  :laugh:

:bag:

ive had notes placed on my toyota pickup a few times as its a desirable year 1985. ive never left notes on a car, but i have rang the doorbell and inquired about cars before.

i put a note on md's locker, said meet me at the back gate :box1::boxing2: