dkorch

Cages: Dom vs chromo,Toys for big boys,Etc

Hey guys,

what’s your thoughts on cages for these things. I’m going to be getting a xp4 turbo s and want to upgrade the cage first thing. However I’m mixed on things. 

im leaning towards the toys for big boys cage 1800$ installed. But debating if a full chromolly cage from Ivan Stewart Motorsport is worth the extra 1300$?

is 095 dom thick enough for these? Or should I really look for 120 wall dom or chromolly? Or is it kind of a moot point, due to the mounting points being the weakest area?

ive heard great things about TFBB, and the price is right, but safety is my first priority. 

thanks!

Edited by dkorch

095 4130 done well should be sufficient for severe yard sales

.120 dom would make me comfortable, 1 3/4 .095 minimum dia better be a proper structural design.

Edited by sausage450r

TFBB in my opinion is the right choice.  If you want it thicker or out of a different material ask him what the difference in price would be.  Some of the other cage builders are getting big heads if you know what I mean.   I had no issues with the installation of mine.  But it was on a 2 seat x3. 

9FFE546D-25FA-4290-9F7C-F72862AF0AF4.png

63F2AB91-2DDF-4934-982F-DC9826EFC41D.png

I have a TFBB cage and Kevin is great to work with. His standard cages are Mild Steel, but you can upgrade to DOM or Chromolly if you choose. I did mind in .095 1 3/4 DOM and have been very happy. Even had a slow 3/4 roll over and not a single issue with his cage or doors.  I built two sister cars,  both have Kevin’s cages, neither have any issues. And at the last Sand Show my friend was shopping for parts for his new XP4 turbo and after looking and speaking with all the cage guys, he ordered a TFBB cage. Kevin built it just as he asked and his was done with Mild Steel. 

I preferred DOM, but don’t let Mild Steel freak you out. Even .095 mild is 10X better then what came stock. Most cage guys build with Mild Steel anyways. And the week point is not necessarily  the bolting connections. It’s just below them where you back to the thin wall chassis tubing. 

BTW I think the Ivan Stewart cages might be private label CageWerx cages that they just weld up. So if you like the look of their cage, check CageWerx as I believe it’s the same. 

TFBB makes nice cages and he is one of the few builders that has reasonable prices.   As stated most aftermarket cages are .095 and 1 3/4", which is sufficient.  

4 hours ago, ROBERT L said:

TFBB in my opinion is the right choice.  If you want it thicker or out of a different material ask him what the difference in price would be.  Some of the other cage builders are getting big heads if you know what I mean.   I had no issues with the installation of mine.  But it was on a 2 seat x3. 

9FFE546D-25FA-4290-9F7C-F72862AF0AF4.png

63F2AB91-2DDF-4934-982F-DC9826EFC41D.png

Nice looking cage.  

Cage is only as good as what it attaches too, and it doesn’t attach to much as the sxs doesn’t have much of a frame.  I’m sure any aftermarket cage will be sufficient 

22 hours ago, dkorch said:

Hey guys,

what’s your thoughts on cages for these things. I’m going to be getting a xp4 turbo s and want to upgrade the cage first thing. However I’m mixed on things. 

im leaning towards the toys for big boys cage 1800$ installed. But debating if a full chromolly cage from Ivan Stewart Motorsport is worth the extra 1300$?

is 095 dom thick enough for these? Or should I really look for 120 wall dom or chromolly? Or is it kind of a moot point, due to the mounting points being the weakest area?

ive heard great things about TFBB, and the price is right, but safety is my first priority. 

thanks!

I have used 4 TFBB DOM cages now.  2 on my 2016 XPT (more on that in a sec), 1 on my '15 XP 1000 and now 1 on our '18 XPT Fox Edition.  My Brother-in-law took the '16 XPT for a bit of a ride off the side of a forest road.  From what I could tell, he actually got loose and hit the high-side on the inside of the turn, made about 1.5 rolls back across the road, then smacked some trees and dropped to the ground (decent drop) with the trees keeping him from rolling down further. 

After we recovered it I initially didn't even think the cage bent.  Closer inspection showed the front left corner had dropped maybe .5" but overall it was still pretty square and I drove the RZR back and it drove straight.  In fact, I took the RZR to Idaho (woods, not dunes) for a full trip just zip-tying body work together and I think maybe replacing a tie-rod before I had time to fix it.  When the cage came off the RZR didn't "spring" funny like the cage was tweaked and had pulled the RZR frame.  The new cage went right on smooth, showing the (weak) stock frame hadn't been hurt.  

My Z1-swapped car already had an uber-expensive SDR cage, so that what it had.  But all of my other RZRs have been TFBB DOM. 

-TJ

Edited by tjZ06

Oh, and the only "injury" he had was a small cut on his knee.  And that only happened because the seats we had in that RZR were hard-mounted to the bases, not on sliders.  That was Melissa's ride, so the seat was hard-mounted pretty far forward, but enough back that I could still drive it sort of comfortably at 6'... the BIL is 6' 4".  If the seat had been slid back he would probably have been a-ok.  A good cage, good seats with proper harness slots, and good harnesses should be mod #1 on all SxSs.

-TJ