Jonesin'

5.3 power?

Just curious on the horsepower expectancy of an aluminum 5.3 from a Trailblazer? It shows 290 horse according to the GM website... Will these numbers increase in my sand car? I’m using the Holley Terminator X for engine management. Not sure if that makes a difference? Thanks in advance!

17 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

Just curious on the horsepower expectancy of an aluminum 5.3 from a Trailblazer? It shows 290 horse according to the GM website... Will these numbers increase in my sand car? I’m using the Holley Terminator X for engine management. Not sure if that makes a difference? Thanks in advance!

You will make a good bit more than that, but keep in mind that is the GM flywheel HP rating.  Sandrail headers are less restrictive than the stock exhaust manifolds, cats, and full Trailblazer exhaust with mufflers.  Your filter and ducting to the TB will also likely be far less restrictive.  Look for a '02-04 Z06 cam, valve springs and intake manifold.  The 5.3s really love them and you used to be able to get them all dirt cheap (I'd buy the springs brand new... I never trust used valve springs).   As-is I'd say you can make 350 HP if you tune it well, which the Holley should let you do.  With a intake and cam it'll do ~400 (a '02-04 Z06 was rated at 405 HP with a larger 5.7, however that was with cats and all that).  

-TJ

Here is my dyno sheet from the alper 5.3

:poule:

A1CC7777-FB4C-4164-AEAB-87083E387206.jpeg

2 minutes ago, POULE43 said:

The glare is killing me 🤣

3 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

You will make a good bit more than that, but keep in mind that is the GM flywheel HP rating.  Sandrail headers are less restrictive than the stock exhaust manifolds, cats, and full Trailblazer exhaust with mufflers.  Your filter and ducting to the TB will also likely be far less restrictive.  Look for a '02-04 Z06 cam, valve springs and intake manifold.  The 5.3s really love them and you used to be able to get them all dirt cheap (I'd buy the springs brand new... I never trust used valve springs).   As-is I'd say you can make 350 HP if you tune it well, which the Holley should let you do.  With a intake and cam it'll do ~400 (a '02-04 Z06 was rated at 405 HP with a larger 5.7, however that was with cats and all that).  

-TJ

It has all F-body extras on it. Camaro intake and TB

1 minute ago, Jonesin' said:

It has all F-body extras on it. Camaro intake and TB

What year Camaro?  '01 and '02 LS1 Camaros actually already have the "LS6 intake."  Even the '98-00 LS1 intake isn't bad, and would respond well to the '02-04 Z06 cam. 

-TJ

6 minutes ago, POULE43 said:

Do you have a more difficult to read version? :p :D

What are the numbers homie? 

-TJ

Just now, tjZ06 said:

Do you have a more difficult to read version? :p :D

-TJ

I gotta find it / It was on my phone but its cut off...sorry......If I had to guess its about 600HP to the wheels :lol: ..... (with a subi like LCG)  :lmao:G)  

Hope I cleared up any confusion!

2 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

Do you have a more difficult to read version? 😛 😄

-TJ

Cool I thought I was the only one that couldn’t read it. 

Just now, POULE43 said:

I gotta find it / It was on my phone but its cut off...sorry......If I had to guess its about 600HP to the wheels :lol: ..... (with a subi like LCG)  :lmao:G)  

At least six-fiddy...

-TJ

How did he get that much out of it?

15 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

How did he get that much out of it?

It was a joke based off of some other threads.  A NA 5.3 isn't going to make 600 or 650.  

-TJ

42 minutes ago, POULE43 said:

Is that engine stand rotation hp?

1 hour ago, tjZ06 said:

It was a joke based off of some other threads.  A NA 5.3 isn't going to make 600 or 650.  

-TJ

I dunno TJ.. if stroked it could. I know a certain someone with a white  car - alper built - dune hoon- tuned pushing north of those numbers with his 5.3

Edited by BRINGENKAOS

1 minute ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

I dunno TJ.. if stroked it could. I know a certain someone with a white car pushing north of those numbers with his 5.3

If it's stroked it's not a 5.3. 

You could sleeve a 5.3 block, run a 4.185 bore, put a 4.125 arm in it and have a 454cui mill.  Slap some really nice Mamo TFS-based LS7 heads on it, 15:1 compression, a lotta cam, big ugly bump-stick and I bet you can make 650 RWHP... but guess what, it's not a 5.3, it's a 7.4

-TJ

Just now, tjZ06 said:

You could sleeve a 5.3 block, run a 4.185 bore, put a 4.125 arm in it and have a 454cui mill.  Slap some really nice Mamo TFS-based LS7 heads on it, 15:1 compression, a lotta cam, big ugly bump-stick and I bet you can make 650 RWHP... but guess what, it's not a 5.3, it's a 7.4

-TJ

Yea but saying it's a 5.3 makes it sound so much cooler 

Just now, BRINGENKAOS said:

Yea but saying it's a 5.3 makes it sound so much cooler 

Just like every Gen III/IV motor is a "LS1." 

-TJ

I’d be happy with 350 or close to it...

i have a TT 5.3 and it made 730 wheel horse @ 14 pounds of boost.  just picked it up from redline and it rips.  one of my older cars had a NA 5.3 with a hot cam and it ran very well.  not allot of low end torque but allot of top end.

5 hours ago, Jonesin' said:

I’d be happy with 350 or close to it...

350whp is doable on your motor with a good cam, maybe a little more. 

14 hours ago, tjZ06 said:

Just like every Gen III/IV motor is a "LS1." 

-TJ

Or like every for sale ad with a stock LS1 that is "450hp"

Matt's 5.3 is a nasty motor though

This is probably the 4th different engine (subie, ecotec, ect) you've proposed putting in this rail.....is this "the one'?

10 minutes ago, spize909 said:

This is probably the 4th different engine (subie, ecotec, ect) you've proposed putting in this rail.....is this "the one'?

I suspect it will be.  I know plenty of people that have had Subis that were actually faster than the 5.3s or other Gen III/IVs they swap in, but they still like the V8 way better (shhh, don't tell John).  

-TJ

15 hours ago, tjZ06 said:

-TJ

Still a 5.3😉 4.130x 4.100 12:1 E85

20180709_135631.jpg

20190616_132447.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lambro said:

Still a 5.3😉 4.130x 4.100 12:1 E85

20180709_135631.jpg

20190616_132447.jpg

*cough*7.2*cough*

-TJ