Sign in to follow this  
tommy gunz

CHENOWTH EXPLORER BEAM TO A ARM CONVERSION

There was a post on here about some one doing this last year I believe. I found the old post and will show it to my Father in Law as he is considering doing it . If  I remember  right some one said they had some arms off of an A arm Explorer.  I am sure for a reasonable price he would be willing to buy them.  Or even if he could use them to mock up new ones. Thanks in advance.

I got a set of arms but they are from a chenoweth Genesis chassis, not complete and would be different for your explorer. I converted my chenoweth explorer last summer from bean to a arm and used a kit from JP designs Patton prerunners. Went to 2" hollows, plared upper and lower arms and double shock, only Wish I would have done it ten years ago, but couldn't afford it till now. Also installed the same  jp kit about 5 years ago on my dad's dunntech buggy with smaller combo spindles and single shock,and tubular a arms and  he loves it. First pic is my beam car next to the blue car with a jp front end. Second pic is after a arm on the explorer. I did the work on both cars and man it's alot of work to get everything straight and same wheel base on both sides lol! Hrt also does a- arm front end conversions.

IMG_20171227_111530752_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191109_163141640.jpg

IMG_20181006_171949919.jpg

IMG_20181108_181007730.jpg

IMG_20181116_202353600.jpg

IMG_20180710_082131097.jpg

IMG_20181222_175508640.jpg

Todd from HRT in Ramona did my conversion. I have a Chenowth Explorer also. Todd did the conversion in 2005 I believe.  Not sure if he uses the same stuff now but that JP Designs a-arms on 2TurboFords silver car look really beefy. Mine look more like the picture of the blue car that 2TurboFords posted. 

I 90% of the time run my car on hard pack and haven't had a problem until I hit a boulder. Bent the a-arm. Was able to still use the car the whole weekend with bent arm. 

Took it back to HRT to get fixed.

20191123_142655.jpg

11 hours ago, sinverguenza said:

Todd from HRT in Ramona did my conversion. I have a Chenowth Explorer also. Todd did the conversion in 2005 I believe.  Not sure if he uses the same stuff now but that JP Designs a-arms on 2TurboFords silver car look really beefy. Mine look more like the picture of the blue car that 2TurboFords posted. 

I 90% of the time run my car on hard pack and haven't had a problem until I hit a boulder. Bent the a-arm. Was able to still use the car the whole weekend with bent arm. 

Took it back to HRT to get fixed.

20191123_142655.jpg

Cleaan.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Cleaan.

Thanks!

If your not using a bulk head kit, etc., why do you need arms to copy?

That was me last year.  Worth all work. Car works sooo much better. I made my own arms. Not to hard to  do. Only problem now  is keeping my type1 stub axles together.Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

Microstubs are your friend. Just weld a new outer plate on your arms and upgrade. I went with the gear one super stubs.

51 minutes ago, 2turbofords said:

Microstubs are your friend. Just weld a new outer plate on your arms and upgrade. I went with the gear one super stubs.

And then cut the existing bearing carrier off/box it back in?

Edited by Rockwood

31 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

There have been a few thread about how guy do just that.  Cut out the bearing carrier, then get the plate for the for the micros they want.

Sounds like he is going to use HRT to do it.  He was looking for some ideas more or less. He has been looking at lots of different set ups. I think HRT sold him due to how many they have done and the quick turn around on it.

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Yes, most microstubs mount only on one outer edge that's it, don't compromise the strength of your existing arms in the process of getting old carriers out. My arms have all the tubes ending at the 3/8" outer plate that mounts the bearing carrier also to the same plate. 

157663155635459406447716920549.jpg

15766316787336840962143002172517.jpg

8 minutes ago, 2turbofords said:

Yes, most microstubs mount only on one outer edge that's it, don't compromise the strength of your existing arms in the process of getting old carriers out. My arms have all the tubes ending at the 3/8" outer plate that mounts the bearing carrier also to the same plate. 

157663155635459406447716920549.jpg

15766316787336840962143002172517.jpg

🤔

Next offseason project perhaps...

Axles need to be longer, but that helps to take some angle off the CV, and can add down travel to get CV back to Max angle also if u wish...

4 hours ago, tommy gunz said:

Sounds like he is going to use HRT to do it.  He was looking for some ideas more or less. He has been looking at lots of different set ups. I think HRT sold him due to how many they have done and the quick turn around on it.

When HRT did mine they cut the front end off and redid it.  I'm guessing they will do the same. 

1)Keep in mind if your car is powder coated the front end will not be. Not sure if Todd can have it powder coated and only grind off the area where the welding is done. 

2) You can have Todd use spray paint to paint it before he installs the shocks and other components. 

3) Make sure you have whatever will be added painted or powder coated unless you want to do it after.

Just my $.02

I have also seen John at Playtech Racing also converting beams to a-arm. Not sure what his turn around time is. 

Not sure if HRT or Playtech is closer to him.

Luckily he has been dragging his feet to get it powder coated. He has been tossing the idea around ever since he finished it. A couple of us have switched to A arm and how rough it's been his last few times out. Last weekend was the final touch on convincing him.

I did mine in 2014. Best upgrade I ever did next to hyd P/S.

DSCN0142.jpg

DSCN0146.jpg

DSCN0173.JPG

DSCN0229.jpg

DSCN0242.jpg

DSCN0246.jpg

DSCN0256.jpg

DSCN0271.jpg

Edited by scott24