Sandjoker29

Mendeola 2d torn down

So at the buggy round up 3rd gear would no longer go into gear. So I made a few calls everyone busy till after the first of the year ,so I figured I would pull it out and be ready to take it to a builder here in vegas after the first of the year. Here is where being a master technician for nissan and ase will get the best of you,and here is what happened. I decided to look at the diff and then after watching some videos I pulled the trigger and tore it down all the way. Upon doing so I found the problem, when shifting to 3rd gear the fork does not engage fully which ended up shearing the front of the 3rd gear idler. I also the shafts aren't running true to each other ,the shaft with 3rd gear idler needs to move back so the work will have proper throw to fully engage.I also found reverse needs to be changed while it is apart, this is my first teardown of a 2d and I will take the shaft and try to figure out why it happen or was it the builder originally and if I can't well I will take to a builder.

20191224_143200.jpg

20191224_144100.jpg

20191224_144054.jpg

20191224_145959.jpg

20191224_145941.jpg

20191224_144131.jpg

Edited by Sandjoker29

Brave man. 

13 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

Brave man. 

That's what a few people said when I decided to build my dodge trans in my diesel. And I did everything to that make sure it never broke again,and  40k later still going. I mostly just wanted to know what happened.

Buy the jig JD has. From what I understand, that, and some YouTube, will get you back on the field. I could way be way off... Lol

Piece of cake. Being a tech you are a few steps ahead of the game already. I tell my apprentice techs that if humans have assembled it so can you haha.

6 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

Piece of cake. Being a tech you are a few steps ahead of the game already. I tell my apprentice techs that if humans have assembled it so can you haha.

I tell guys at work this all the time.  If someone put it together, we can likely fix it.

Same kinda goes for my GF.  She is amazed at the projects I'll take on, or convince her she can do.  I tell her that I can do anything I want.  I just have to want to do it.  The dishes/laundry, that I can't do...:hmm:

I agree now that I have it apart and understands how it works I can probably do it just have to take the one shaft out and figure out the extra gap is. Probably wasn't pressed completely I will probably know on thursday pretty sure the shop will be quiet. I'm hoping to install the AJ speed shift set up also when I put the trans back in. 

42 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Buy the jig JD has. From what I understand, that, and some YouTube, will get you back on the field. I could way be way off... Lol

I could wrong but think your going to need a bus jig. Type one is different. If I'm wrong it's good news because I have one, but no type one boxes anymore.

There really is not much to those VW based Transaxles, but I personally leave them to people with all the alignment tools, and I think "reading" some of the more subtle problems / adjustment requires some experience IMO. Way better getting that experience on other peoples cars ✔️ when you can

I agree but here's the thing even when Alper built my engine he recommended  I take to a tuner , I just have a problem that if I can work on GTR's  I should be able to tune my engine, I did plumb and wire my car ,so when the trans went I figure I will try it if it doesn't work then I will pay someone. I do build CVT transmissions weekly for Nissan and the worst that can happen is I blow it up ,I can live with that.

Expensive gamble when rebuild labor is usually around $500.  Parts is parts...

8 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Expensive gamble when rebuild labor is usually around $500.  Parts is parts...

It is and I thought that when my diesel trans was quoted 5k to do it, when my ls engine was done it was 5-600.00 for dyno  time. Parts are parts diesel trans parts 2k savings 3k. Putting it together and it working properly satisfaction like no other .

A manual transaxle isn't rocket science guys.

There will always be those who will opt to pay someone to fix things for them, like the OP I'm not one of them.  You guys always talk about "learning" about your sand cars, the only way to learn something is to just do it. 

14 minutes ago, Sandjoker29 said:

It is and I thought that when my diesel trans was quoted 5k to do it, when my ls engine was done it was 5-600.00 for dyno  time. Parts are parts diesel trans parts 2k savings 3k. Putting it together and it working properly satisfaction like no other .

That trans you saved 3k.  You might save $500 here.  F up first or second gear here and you just cost yourself a main shaft.  More than $500.  Furthermore, you think you found the problem, but do you know the solution?  It also kinda looks like you took it apart on the table next to the brake lathe. Sooo much junk.

I'm a former auto tech, but I don't even waste my time changing oil in my cars.  For $20, someone else can buy the shit, change the oil/filter, and dispose of it. Sometimes my time is worth more than theirs. Start a timer. Get off the couch, go buy everything, come back, change oil, go dispose of waste at local parts joint after clean up, come home, plant azz back on couch, and stop timer.  Take less than 20 minutes? Nope.

7 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

That trans you saved 3k.  You might save $500 here.  F up first or second gear here and you just cost yourself a main shaft.  More than $500.  Furthermore, you think you found the problem, but do you know the solution?  It also kinda looks like you took it apart on the table next to the brake lathe. Sooo much junk.

I'm a former auto tech, but I don't even waste my time changing oil in my cars.  For $20, someone else can buy the shit, change the oil/filter, and dispose of it. Sometimes my time is worth more than theirs. Start a timer. Get off the couch, go buy everything, come back, change oil, go dispose of waste at local parts joint after clean up, come home, plant azz back on couch, and stop timer.  Take less than 20 minutes? Nope.

That's fair . It's not about the money ,i was looking for  s4d  Alper  talked me off the ledge and  there no s4s for a real price , so I thought i will fix this one and look for the summer. I like to learn  so I can help the person who doesn't have extra money for parts and labor.

1 hour ago, fortyfour said:

A manual transaxle isn't rocket science guys.

There will always be those who will opt to pay someone to fix things for them, like the OP I'm not one of them.  You guys always talk about "learning" about your sand cars, the only way to learn something is to just do it. 

Somewhat of a belittling statement.  You can say that for just about anything- construction isn't rocket science, but did you build your own home?  Sewing isn't rocket science but do you make your own clothes?  Farming isn't rocket science... you get the idea.

At some point you have to decide what your time is worth.

I'm stoked to read that the OP is taking on his own repairs.  Now that I've read he's a trans builder it makes more sense.  

1 hour ago, Sandjoker29 said:

That's fair . It's not about the money ,i was looking for  s4d  Alper  talked me off the ledge and  there no s4s for a real price ,

It's almost always about the money.  If it wasn't, you would've bought any Mende S trans available.

You really need the 

jig so each gear can be aligned 

second make sure you get a chromoly pinion nut. And the ultra duty main shaft bearing rc trans uses 

the use special tools for pinion depth but can run multiply patterns to get depth. 

24 minutes ago, J Alper said:

You really need the 

jig so each gear can be aligned 

second make sure you get a chromoly pinion nut. And the ultra duty main shaft bearing rc trans uses 

the use special tools for pinion depth but can run multiply patterns to get depth. 

Will the type one jig work?

I like the can do attitude. Give it a try, gain some  knowledge and learn the experience. Maybe you get it fixed, maybe you have to pay to get it fixed.

I thought ranch’s or maybe weddle sold a jig to assemble. From what I understand a guy who’s got experience rebuilding VW style trans can get it done but your much better off with the jig. 

Great at job tearing into this. I’ve built 3 cars now and each one has been a good learning experience. So I applaud you. You can get it back together and it will be as reliable or more than anyone else doing it. Peace of mind knowing exactly what you have has its own value as well. With each car I’ve built reliability went up. If there was a cut corner I knew where it was and usually it reared its head somewhere along the way, which lesson learned to do it right first even if it takes longer or I miss a trip or something like that. Heck my current car cost me almost 2 seasons because I didn’t have it ready. I’m happy I waited and did it right.

Maybe you make a mistake maybe you dont. If the value is there for you in the sacrifice of your time then your good to go

it's cool u want to do this but i don't understand all the metal shavings everywhere, are u sure u can flush all that out ?  

The jig is to set up shift forks prior to installing it in main case. You have to unbolt the forks from the shift rods to disassemble. Once you have done this and the gears stacks removed and reinstalled the forks will not land in the exact same location and you run the chance of damaging gears if they are not fully engaging. I've done a few type ones and while not difficult I can not imagine not having the setup right. 

Once you have it in the jig, you put the nose cone with hockey stick on. It will help if you have a hand shift tool so you can run it through the gears and make sure they are fully engaging. If not you can adjust the forks to get what you need. Once the forks are tightened down then you can remove from the jig and install knowing it's going run like you want.

Good luck! Still not clear if a type one jig will work for you. I know some who made there own out of wrecked trans cases, cutting a window to set up forks.

Hopefully Sean will chime in after holiday break.

There is a S4D on race dezert also. JUST an FYI.

4 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

Somewhat of a belittling statement.  You can say that for just about anything- construction isn't rocket science, but did you build your own home?  Sewing isn't rocket science but do you make your own clothes?  Farming isn't rocket science... you get the idea.

At some point you have to decide what your time is worth.

I'm stoked to read that the OP is taking on his own repairs.  Now that I've read he's a trans builder it makes more sense.  

I am with LRS on this one, and I think its great to never stop learning and this is an outrageously expensive sport, and I am 100% the Build not bought kinda guy,, so respect to OP for doing his own work.

There is just about nothing I have not done on a sand car from building my own chassis on up, and yeah I have a Bunch of specialized tools and if I ventured to do Transaxles and save a few hours labor $$ I would buy the alignment tools (jigs) and likely build it 3 or 4 x before I put it in the car, (I still mic every engine part and use Plastigauge because everyone makes mistakes). 

If helping someone out by pointing out that they Might need some specialized tools and get some experience (watch a trans guy rebuild a few) is a bad thing, then so be it...  I took welding classes too, I am sure I could have stuck metal together with out them, but   -  FWIW