Venom

Trailer tire pressure

What tire pressure do you run?

Ive talked to different people, and get different answers. Max pressure on my trailer is 80psi. I usually run somewhere between 70-75psi unloaded. I’ve been told to run the max, i’ve been told I run too much, and ive been told what i’m doing is good. I’m no tire expert by any means, so I figured I ask the group what your thoughts are.

Edited by Venom
Spelling

yes

My head is spinning  from asking that same question to different people. 

I'm doing the same as you and running pressure a little under max listed on the tire?

I believe a lot of it depends on how your rig is loaded. If you under load it OR if you overload it..............I myself try to keep it around 78 if it states 80 like my tires do. I am usually a little overloaded.

I do just like the OP is doing. Have been doing that since 2002 on my toy my haulers. 

I do the same as you, usually 5 under

I have had way fewer problems since I started running max pressure

22 minutes ago, ehall said:

yep they don't get as hot

Air is the support for the tire’s carcass, so more is usually better unless it’s so light you’re making it ride terrible. Only reason to run less is if you’re getting uneven wear. If you’re overloaded or max loaded, max sidewall pressure is necessary. Hell, trailer tires are shitty as it is, might as well help them as much as you can. 

Tires don't carry a load, at least not enough to matter, the air does. If you need to carry the max load the tire is rated for you need the max air pressure the tire is designed to hold. Since nobody can perfectly match the actual load on the tire to some percentage of air calculation type thing it's better to be safe and run the air pressure that best suits the heaviest load you will put on that tire. I see a lot of tires...a lot. About 75% are seriously underinflated and most show premature wear consistent with that under inflation. Rarely, and I mean very rarely, do I see overinflation wear. I say that just to make the point that most of us, whatever our theory may be, are not inflating enough. I'm including light vehicles in that experience, heavy duty and RV people seem to do a little better. To be fair.

Also keep in mind that from the time you adjust the tire to whatever pressure you decide, it's losing air from that moment until you inflate it again. If you wait 6 months and the tire has lost 10 pounds pressure, the wear pattern and running temperature will reflect the average of the initial pressure and the last pressure. 

I over inflate my customers tires regularly, and they usually return to me months later with the tires below proper pressure by a significant amount.

Also, trailer tires take a huge amount of abuse. A lower pressure tire, dragged sideways like we do with trailer tires, will wear exponentially faster than one with more air as the stiffer sidewall will resist deforming and concentrating the load on the outer edges.

A tire a little overinflated can ride rougher (some think this is a big deal...) but a tire underinflated will wear out much faster, overheats in shockingly pleasant ambient temperatures and is dangerous. I know which end of the grey area I'm going for when I inflate.

45 minutes ago, cam1111 said:

Tires don't carry a load, at least not enough to matter, the air does. If you need to carry the max load the tire is rated for you need the max air pressure the tire is designed to hold. Since nobody can perfectly match the actual load on the tire to some percentage of air calculation type thing it's better to be safe and run the air pressure that best suits the heaviest load you will put on that tire. I see a lot of tires...a lot. About 75% are seriously underinflated and most show premature wear consistent with that under inflation. Rarely, and I mean very rarely, do I see overinflation wear. I say that just to make the point that most of us, whatever our theory may be, are not inflating enough. I'm including light vehicles in that experience, heavy duty and RV people seem to do a little better. To be fair.

Also keep in mind that from the time you adjust the tire to whatever pressure you decide, it's losing air from that moment until you inflate it again. If you wait 6 months and the tire has lost 10 pounds pressure, the wear pattern and running temperature will reflect the average of the initial pressure and the last pressure. 

I over inflate my customers tires regularly, and they usually return to me months later with the tires below proper pressure by a significant amount.

Also, trailer tires take a huge amount of abuse. A lower pressure tire, dragged sideways like we do with trailer tires, will wear exponentially faster than one with more air as the stiffer sidewall will resist deforming and concentrating the load on the outer edges.

A tire a little overinflated can ride rougher (some think this is a big deal...) but a tire underinflated will wear out much faster, overheats in shockingly pleasant ambient temperatures and is dangerous. I know which end of the grey area I'm going for when I inflate.

did u overinflated my wife ? she gots big :sexywave: 

3 hours ago, matt86m said:

I do the same as you, usually 5 under

X2

I was running 5 under for many years and very recently started running max for whatever the sidewall says. I have 3 trailes in my fleet so tire life is important to my business. 

I have multiple trailers and always run 10 under max psi. Have had maybe two blow outs as far back as I can think.  I’d bet people don’t take into consideration what they park there tires on, weight distribution, blem tires and the age of there tires.  There’s much more to consider to gain the best ride and reliability of a tire than just air pressure.

Once I’m loaded up completely I go 5 pounds under max on the sidewalk. So far so good. 

9 hours ago, mike dee said:

I have multiple trailers and always run 10 under max psi. Have had maybe two blow outs as far back as I can think.  I’d bet people don’t take into consideration what they park there tires on, weight distribution, blem tires and the age of there tires.  There’s much more to consider to gain the best ride and reliability of a tire than just air pressure.

And SPEED !!! some tires are not rated for 85MPH under full load. 

So why under? The sidewall pressure is cold:

60A7A881-774F-478A-92E0-A0900A776904.thumb.jpeg.450f54d77087f83f077096d2708001ef.jpeg

17 hours ago, ehall said:

Me too, and check it every time you leave, even after a few days at the dunes.  I have a temp gun and every time I stop for a break I check the tires and the bearings. The inside duly will always a few deg. warmer. DON~~~

Max psi and I check them before every trip.

Do you need more replies?

54 minutes ago, donparscale said:

Me too, and check it every time you leave, even after a few days at the dunes.  I have a temp gun and every time I stop for a break I check the tires and the bearings. The inside duly will always a few deg. warmer. DON~~~

Ahh! A temp gun! Every time I stop or get to a destination I always feel the heat of each rim and hub center. It's a good bearing condition indicator, so I think. 

18 hours ago, Venom said:

What tire pressure do you run?

Ive talked to different people, and get different answers. Max pressure on my trailer is 80psi. I usually run somewhere between 70-75psi unloaded. I’ve been told to run the max, i’ve been told I run too much, and ive been told what i’m doing is good. I’m no tire expert by any means, so I figured I ask the group what your thoughts are.

on a trailer tire, you should run max pressure, the more tire pressure the more capacity it can hold, running under max can cause heating and delamination issues, 

on the other hand I do not run trailer tires anymore they (all trailer tires) are junk with exception from the large semi truck style Saliune tires,

if not running a Saliune 110PSI then I like a Commercial tire, I run a Autturo heavy duty Commercial van tire,   they are a 80PSI tire Rated for 110 mph, I have never had a blow out on a vehicle so I went to a commercial tire on my flatbed  

20 minutes ago, J Alper said:

on a trailer tire, you should run max pressure, the more tire pressure the more capacity it can hold, running under max can cause heating and delamination issues, 

on the other hand I do not run trailer tires anymore they (all trailer tires) are junk with exception from the large semi truck style Saliune tires,

if not running a Saliune 110PSI then I like a Commercial tire, I run a Autturo heavy duty Commercial van tire,   they are a 80PSI tire Rated for 110 mph, I have never had a blow out on a vehicle so I went to a commercial tire on my flatbed  

I'm running Saliune tires now at 100PSI mainly cause my compressor wont go much higher.

4 minutes ago, Dune Nasty said:

I'm running Saliune tires now at 100PSI mainly cause my compressor wont go much higher.

what a great tire it has been, 5 years no blow outs, my trailer is a 47' with a DD Prerunner and a quad, trailer weight is 22,000 lbs loaded and I run about 75-85 mph on the highway depending on the area to Utah sometimes a little over 85, and the tires look almost like the day I purchased them, 

if you look online I do not think I have seen one bad review on the Saliune 

3 minutes ago, J Alper said:

what a great tire it has been, 5 years no blow outs, my trailer is a 47' with a DD Prerunner and a quad, trailer weight is 22,000 lbs loaded and I run about 75-85 mph on the highway depending on the area to Utah sometimes a little over 85, and the tires look almost like the day I purchased them, 

if you look online I do not think I have seen one bad review on the Saliune 

Totally agree and why I bought them.  Price isn't bad either.