Legit Duner

100mph speed limit at the drags?

True? Guess we'll see.

Capture+_2019-12-30-08-43-47.png

Dylan posted the ticket...

472185C2-828B-48C8-832C-0E8587835122.png

I saw a few videos of rails blowing past sxs's while bobbing and weaving through them. Could only imagine it's making them nervous.  Guess we're stuck watching a sxs parade down the drags. 

That has nothing to do with 100 mph. CA VC 38305 says:

38305. No person shall drive an off-highway motor vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of other persons or property.

Gonna get thrown out. I would call supervisor and threaten harassment by officer. 

Dylan needs to protect his identity  better. Way too much info in that pic

B7200D5D-8E55-4BA7-935D-C64686297666.png

Edited by sausage450r

Wonder if all the typical (necessary) requirements have been fulfilled?

Is the speed limit posted?

Has there been a traffic survey done? If so is it on file?

Are they using radar/lidar? If so, have they been to the approved school to operate the unit? 

Has the unit been calibrated/certified and is it current?

4 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

38305. No person shall drive an off-highway motor vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of other persons or property.

If there's 10  sxs's doing 70mph and a rail blows through at 110, I could see that VC being relevant

Edited by Legit Duner

1 minute ago, matt86m said:

Are they using radar/lidar? If so, have they been to the approved school to operate the unit? 

I think it's more of a "judgement" call...no actual speed needed.   Officers decision if the speed was violating the section.  I guess it could be 35 if done in an unsafe manor.  Bet this is hard to fight without spending big $$$$.

4 minutes ago, matt86m said:

Do we want them to do the first two that you mentioned?? 

10 minutes ago, realbadlarry said:

I think it's more of a "judgement" call...no actual speed needed.   Officers decision if the speed was violating the section.  I guess it could be 35 if done in an unsafe manor.  Bet this is hard to fight without spending big $$$$.

I dont think so. Its not like he was in a speed controlled area or near a camp. He cited a “ca vehicle code” on federal lands, that are not maintained, or controlled by the state. 

A more appropriate code would be cvc38310

Edited by sausage450r

5 minutes ago, Legit Duner said:

If there's 10  sxs's doing 70mph and a rail blows through at 110, I could see that VC being relevant

Oh, it's relevant, but my point is, if the SxSs were doing 40 mph and he blew past at 65 mph, he still could have gotten a ticket for not driving in a reasonable or prudent manner. It's not a ticket for a specific speed, it's for driving faster than the other vehicles.

Now only if they would give these to the idiots on sand highway . . .

So, no ticket for the people driving slow in the fast lane?

23 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Which, clearly leaves it at the discretion of LEOs to decide what is "reasonable or prudent" and what "a speed which endangers the safety of other persons or property" is.  So, yes, it can have EVERYTHING to do with 100 MPH if BLM decides 100+ MPH at the "the drags" is no longer reasonable or prudent and asks the LEOs to start ticketing for 100+ MPH. 

I wonder what all the HP Wars guys are going to do?  It'd actually be really neat to see them "have" to build rigs that can race from a dig, 0-100 MPH. 

-TJ

What we need is segregation. Special areas for slow and fast. Kind of like "off leash areas". Dog parks! You know, one for the little dogs and one for the big dogs. God (and rangers) know we can't play together.

I swear if the Mexican government got it together they could take ALL the  sand toy play south of the fence.

59 minutes ago, realbadlarry said:

Will definitely be officer discretion. Now that I see the section they wrote it for.

This way they (BLM) also doesn't take/accept any liability in 'controlling' the drags. 

56 minutes ago, AlpineFunco said:

Do we want them to do the first two that you mentioned?? 

No, no we don't.

Curious what the fine will be for something like this. It's officer's judgement so if fought, the officer will have to articulate why he/she thought he was driving in violation of the section.

55 minutes ago, richard h said:

What we need is segregation. Special areas for slow and fast. Kind of like "off leash areas". Dog parks! You know, one for the little dogs and one for the big dogs. God (and rangers) know we can't play together.

I swear if the Mexican government got it together they could take ALL the  sand toy play south of the fence.

Glamis may need many things but it certainly doesn't need more regulation. 

17 minutes ago, madweazl said:

Holy crap. It's Madweazl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

150+ mph 2700 lb sandrail vs. 65 mph 1800 lb utv or a quad or bike. Does the blm do stupid shit, without a doubt but give this a little consideration before you tear them to pieces over something that might be a rumor. I'm all for the fastest car in glamis and the smack talk. In this situation it might just be a little more risk management on the duners side will equal less involvement from the blm. I know I'll get shit for this but some things we have to take into our hands before blm does what they do. 

53 minutes ago, madweazl said:

I was being sarcastic. But take to the bank less regulations and control are not coming soon, or ever. 

Maybe organizers and leaders of the sand community can help group and separate 100MPH+ vehicles from others about to start.  That might stop any limitations.  

34 minutes ago, Sandslinger1986 said:

150+ mph 2700 lb sandrail vs. 65 mph 1800 lb utv or a quad or bike. Does the blm do stupid shit, without a doubt but give this a little consideration before you tear them to pieces over something that might be a rumor. I'm all for the fastest car in glamis and the smack talk. In this situation it might just be a little more risk management on the duners side will equal less involvement from the blm. I know I'll get shit for this but some things we have to take into our hands before blm does what they do. 

Well said. I don't see 100mph written on the ticket. Did the ranger write the ticket for reckless operation and just verbally say 100 mph and that is now being blown out of proportion and translated to "the new law is 100mph" ???

He got a ticket for speeding too close to the crowds. 100mph has nothing to do with it.

2 hours ago, WaPaWeKkA said:

Curious what the fine will be for something like this. It's officer's judgement so if fought, the officer will have to articulate why he/she thought he was driving in violation of the section.

Couldn’t find this specific violation in the Imperial County bail schedule but other counties it shows as under $150 and no point on the driver’s record. 

It’s not cheap but much cheaper than a speeding ticket on a state roadway (average starting point of $241 in San Diego). It may be worth fighting just to see if the LEO shows in court and if he can articulate why it was unsafe. 

This particular violation is basically the Offroad version of 22350 CVC (Basic Speed Law). If the LEO has any experience in traffic court this will be hard to beat.