RK Racing

Pick Up Truck Tonneau Cover Advice Please.....

Just picked up a 2020 F350  8’ bed. Back in the 70s I had a Naugahyde Tonneau cover with snap buttons on my mini pick up. Today I am looking at a bed cover for my new truck. I know those they have rollup, fold up and all kinds of different covers even the one piece fiberglass which seems antique now............ so if you would could you “”please”” educate me on why I would want a rollup or a fold up or how it helps or when it helps, thank you very very much to all. Beer is on me.

Recently bought a roll up cover and like it a lot.  I bought the Retrax plastic one with gloss finish.  I bought it used off OfferUP for $300.  Slides very smooth and does not need a rail screwed to your tailgate like the other brand.  

The bad part is the box that the cover rolls up into takes up valuable room for a secondary diesel tank, so i will have to make a custom tank around it and my sliding hitch.  

I like the BakFlip. 

Check out tyger covers on amazon. We went to Tahoe for thanksgiving and needed something to keep the bed dry with the rain and snow. It was under 200 bucks, it can be taken completely off in under 5 min. It kept all of our stuff completely dry. I got the tri-fold one. No holes to drill. Seems very well built for the price. Even came with a storage bag for it when not being used. 

I have the full metal jacket.  going on 12 years of great service.

16 hours ago, raspadoo said:

I like the BakFlip. 

x2

This one? 

B021641F-97A9-4742-B6B4-4BD9F48B8E33.png

126475CB-A15D-40AD-9698-E39A85911055.png

Which model Bak- flip are you guys talking about? Thanks.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, megadesertdiesel said:

Recently bought a roll up cover and like it a lot.  I bought the Retrax plastic one with gloss finish.  I bought it used off OfferUP for $300.  Slides very smooth and does not need a rail screwed to your tailgate like the other brand.  

The bad part is the box that the cover rolls up into takes up valuable room for a secondary diesel tank, so i will have to make a custom tank around it and my sliding hitch.  

I have the same thing but I don’t like that it leaks in the rain. I going to sell mine and get a shell eventually. 

I have had the Bakflip MX4 on 2014 Chevy 1500, 2018 Chevy 1500, 2018 Raptor & 2019 F350 Super Duty Dually 8' bed.  Never had any issues always function great, can still use all of the bed if needed. Or can partly open cover also.

just my .02

21 minutes ago, Valentine78 said:

I have had the Bakflip MX4 on 2014 Chevy 1500, 2018 Chevy 1500, 2018 Raptor & 2019 F350 Super Duty Dually 8' bed.  Never had any issues always function great, can still use all of the bed if needed. Or can partly open cover also.

just my .02

Thank you for your reply on the bed cover. Can you drive with two or three panels open flipped over without it rubbing on itself and screwing up? Lets say if you have a fifth wheel hitch and you need to fold it all the way up and drive that way, will it screw it self up? Thank you

41 minutes ago, RK Racing said:

Thank you for your reply on the bed cover. Can you drive with two or three panels open flipped over without it rubbing on itself and screwing up? Lets say if you have a fifth wheel hitch and you need to fold it all the way up and drive that way, will it screw it self up? Thank you

You can secure with all panels flipped up (against rear window area, has foam pads so won't hurt truck) or with one panel still down there are 2 tethers that secure lid panels. If that makes sense.

28 minutes ago, Valentine78 said:

You can secure with all panels flipped up (against rear window area, has foam pads so won't hurt truck) or with one panel still down there are 2 tethers that secure lid panels. If that makes sense.

Thank you. I kind of figured it will not hurt the truck because the top of the bed is a plastic rail...... I was wondering if when you flip them on top of each other, are they insulated from each other so they don’t rub on each other and scar each panel while driving If I’m asking that correctly...... Thanks again.

29 minutes ago, RK Racing said:

Thank you. I kind of figured it will not hurt the truck because the top of the bed is a plastic rail...... I was wondering if when you flip them on top of each other, are they insulated from each other so they don’t rub on each other and scar each panel while driving If I’m asking that correctly...... Thanks again.

Correct they don't rub each other

I have an older truck without a locking tailgate that I put a Roll n Lock on.  The cover is a rollback that locks the tailgate to it. 6.5' trunk now.  It does leak a little toward the back in the rain and it does take some bed space.  I was able to retract it all the way and fit a 350 quad back there.  Anything bigger would require the tailgate to be down on the recovery missions. 

Really like my retrax cover, got the aluminum.  Like Mega says it takes up about 12-14" of front bed space, but does have a small amount of room underneath it.  Like that I can retract it to any position and lock it.  It does leak slightly in a couple of corners.   Overall all though I recommend it and happy with it.  It was a little pricey but worth it.